What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Recruiting is not a major problem for Nebraska. The numbers contradict that claim.
I think there's something to the notion that while it helps recruiting it hurts performance that their players are celebrities before they've actually done anything in their college uniform.

Lots of chatter on Ole Miss boards about MikMac...

Mac has done a good job here. I think we all remember what shape this program was in when he took this program over five years ago, and we're a better program for having him here for the last five years. I've said I think he's going to be a factor in that search because he's a proven builder, he's never been in trouble with the NCAA, and he's got ties to Ole Miss. If he stays here, great. If he leaves us for Ole Miss, I for one will be grateful to him for the work he did in bringing us back from the dead, I'll pull for him in Oxford.....and..........I think we'll be just fine. I think we could go get a big time guy who isn't coaching (Chip Kelly would listen if we called. I think he'll want back in the Pac 12 because he's familiar with this league....and I think the Mad Hatter would take this job in a heartbeat), go get a good G5 coach (the only one who I'd have any interest in is Blake Anderson at Arkansas State), or go get a big time coordinator (Brent Venables would come here I bet).

https://www.secrant.com/rant/ole-miss-sports/head-coaching-search/71228539/page-9/

Admittedly, it is of the "gee, I want this guy variety". Not anybody saying the AD has contacted etc., but still...interesting.
Eh, just one guy mentioning him and another taking the lazy route of "look how many Ls he has in the Pac". Per most fan sites, they are far too delusional over the caliber of coach they should be able to attract. I know Ole Miss and Baylor aren't equal, but if up-and-coming coaching candidates have learned anything from Rhule taking the Baylor job, it should be not to take the Ole Miss job... Honestly think Mac is the best they could do at this time.

The Ole Miss fans on that board seem to think they can be extra picky for some reason.
I doubt they will be able to pull another P5 coach out of his job to go to soon-to-be-sanctioned Ole Miss. My guess is it will be a G5 HC or coordinator, but even then G5 rising stars like Norvell and Frost will go elsewhere or hold out for a better gig down the road.

Ok say Mac would at least look at it, who would CU look at? Y'all know more about coaches that are upcoming than I do.

Still think Mac would kill it at Tennessee. I can’t imagine being the ad and hearing mac’s overview/plan for how the program should operate after being around Butch Jones for so long.

Ok say Mac would at least look at it, who would CU look at? Y'all know more about coaches that are upcoming than I do.
There is an inetersting question.

I would suggest Mike Norvell at Memphis; Blake Andersen at Arkansas State; Scott Frost at UCF; Doug Meachem KU OC (yes, I can only imagine the howls this one will get); Sonny Cumbie OC at TCU.

I would suggest Mike Norvell at Memphis; Blake Andersen at Arkansas State; Scott Frost at UCF; Doug Meachem KU OC (yes, I can only imagine the howls this one will get); Sonny Cumbie OC at TCU.
Norvell is the first guy I would talk to, just need to confirm in the interview he is committed to a power run game out of the spread and get him a good defensive coordinator.

I can go with most of the above but not Cumbie. Played against his tall ass brother, he was a prick. Snyder, TX of all places lol.

I like Doug Meacham a lot.....as a replacement for Brian Lindgren after this year. We'd probably need to hire a QB coach if we brought him in as a play caller though....He's got one year of experience coaching QBs (ie-Bernardi retires, Meacham takes on the offensive line as a position group, move Adams back to RB/TE, and then a QB coach-BJ Denker is an offensive analyst at Arizona....he's young, but I think having a guy who was a somewhat mobile QB when he played would benefit Montez/Noyer/Lytle). Andersen would fit here because that staff (Trooper Taylor in particular) has connections in Texas. Other than that, I like all the names you threw out.......I think the Hat would pursue this job if it became available (would be a fine hire if his boring offense doesn't come with him), and I think anybody who went 46-7 in this conference is worth a call.

Last edited:
The lumping of the south as one big homogenous pile is kind of amusing. Mike MacIntyre may be interested in staying or going at some point, but to suggest there is some massive pull to Mississippi is a stretch. He spent the majority of his formative years in Nashville (late middle school, high school and Vanderbilt college), and then transferred to Georgia Tech. As a coach, he’s been in Durham (Raleigh MSA), Dallas, San Jose, and Boulder.

If he goes, it will be for a coaching opportunity and not some perceived cultural pull to the deepest parts of the South.

The lumping of the south as one big homogenous pile is kind of amusing. Mike MacIntyre may be interested in staying or going at some point, but to suggest there is some massive pull to Mississippi is a stretch. He spent the majority of his formative years in Nashville (late middle school, high school and Vanderbilt college), and then transferred to Georgia Tech. As a coach, he’s been in Durham (Raleigh MSA), Dallas, San Jose, and Boulder.

If he goes, it will be for a coaching opportunity and not some perceived cultural pull to the deepest parts of the South.
The ole miss love is purely based on him coaching there before and telling cu reporters how much he loved it there before interviews before.

The ole miss love is purely based on him coaching there before and telling cu reporters how much he loved it there before interviews before.

Thanks, I hadn’t read that. Nevertheless, the idea that southern boys always have to come home is a narrative that irks me, I guess.

Also, you can't neglect the religious match between MM and Ole Miss. I don't know how much this would factor into MM's decision (for all I know, it could be "a lot" or it could be "not at all" - I don't think anyone here really "knows"), but you'd have to close your eyes to a lot of evidence to claim wouldn't factor in for Ole Miss.

If Mac left I'd like Matt Campbell, but he's probably already going to a big money job. Norvell would be a terrific get, especially since he's already recruited to the PAC.

Last edited:
Back