What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

When other regional teams like Clemson and Va Tech are good, Tennessee struggles.
Makes sense.

The way I've heard it with UTenn is that on a foundational level, their recruiting honey hole of Georgia determines how good they are. If they're rivaling UGA for Georgia recruits, watch out. If they're not, then it means they're hodge podging together a lot of plans b & c even if those guys are highly rated on paper.

Yeah but 65% of coaches would still likely take the Florida job if they had the choice. It’s not about being an elite program it’s about the job that gives you the best chance to succeed.
And 66% of all statistics used on the internet are made up.

Makes sense.

The way I've heard it with UTenn is that on a foundational level, their recruiting honey hole of Georgia determines how good they are. If they're rivaling UGA for Georgia recruits, watch out. If they're not, then it means they're hodge podging together a lot of plans b & c even if those guys are highly rated on paper.

You have to put Tennessee's rise to power in context. In the 70s and 80s, they largely did not have to worry about anyone outside of Georgia some years. Florida and Florida State were not really established powers, Va Tech was not really a school of note, Clemson was hit or miss, and so on. Tennessee was a magnet for a lot of players in the South because there just was not a lot of competition.

You have to put Tennessee's rise to power in context. In the 70s and 80s, they largely did not have to worry about anyone outside of Georgia some years. Florida and Florida State were not really established powers, Va Tech was not really a school of note, Clemson was hit or miss, and so on. Tennessee was a magnet for a lot of players in the South because there just was not a lot of competition.
In that era, iirc, LSU was asleep and Alabama was still trying to decide if it was legal to hire a coach who didn't play for Bear. Oh, and concepts like shotgun snaps, 3 wide sets and passing 50% of the time were not offenses most of the schools were comfortable risking.

Source: Butch Jones, Tennessee, played player with concussion in loss to Kentucky

“He is resting in a dark room. He doesn’t remember anything about the second half of the game”. A text received by The Read Optional reads. “They left him in until the last 22 seconds and only pulled him out because he finally threw up on the sideline.”

This is not the first time a Jones staff has been accused of endangering or mistreating players. In 2015, former Cincinnati kicker John Lloyd accused Jones personally of “hitting” players “multiple times”:
“No surprise Butch Jones “allegedly” struck a Vol football player during practice.” Lloyd wrote on Twitter in 2015, via The Sporting News. “I’ve seen this man hit players multiple times at Cincy lol. That man probably made the video crew delete over three hours of questionable actions at UC. Karma…”

Sounds like somebody is digging for cause. Not that I’m defending Bitch Jones in any manner. Just that the timing of this revelation just seems a little too convenient.

exactly my thought when I saw this.

If this stuff has been going on it has been going on for a while. As long as they wanted him as their coach they ignore it, As soon as they are looking at paying him millions to not coach it matters.

Hey, Beavers! If you are looking for a coach that will:
1) unbalance your roster with an emphasis on skill players
2) slowly lose respect of the players
3) reduce their discipline on the field
4) go scorched earth, be fired for gambling, or be fired for general incompetence like he has from 3 other Pac 12 programs (edit and credit to Creebuzz)

I have your man!

Last edited:
Makes sense.

A good coach would be killing it at Tennessee with this roster right now.

Does anyone not think that UT is not 5x more talented than Iowa State? Pretty is skin deep and ugly is to the bone. Bad coaching is just that.
Had almost nothing to do with Georgia and everything to do with character, discipline, work ethic, and good teaching. I.e. leadership.

4) go scorched earth, be fired for gambling, or be fired for general incompetence like he has from 3 other Pac 12 programs (edit and credit to Creebuzz)

I have your man!

That would be epic.

I’ll admit that if Miss St. hires MM away, I would be amped to get Frost here. I’ll put away Husker hate to get him as a coach.
Yeah that'd be cool, but Frost is probably candidate #1 for every job opening which will include Florida and Tennessee at the minimum and potentially UCLA, A&M, and Nebraska.

Yeah that'd be cool, but Frost is probably candidate #1 for every job opening which will include Florida and Tennessee at the minimum and potentially UCLA, A&M, and Nebraska.

One of these is not like the others.

Going to be some sad husker fans when they see where they stand in the coaching pecking order.

UCLA hasn't been a great program either but they are in LA which makes them much more appealing.

Going to be some sad husker fans when they see where they stand in the coaching pecking order.

UCLA hasn't been a great program either but they are in LA which makes them much more appealing.

Frost could stay at UCF too. Good point made on a Sirius podcast I listened to yesterday-the only two guys who have won really, really big at UF have been hall of famers (the HBC and Urban Meyer). Is that opening better than most everything that is open or we think could open? Absolutely. Is it a tougher job than it looks? Yes.

I have your man!

The odds of them promoting Cory Hall are high than this actually happening

I obviously don't think Nebraska is a great job, but it's still a good job. The money and fan support are up there with just about anyone, but the recruiting grounds and attraction to Lincoln are obvious drawbacks. I could see a young, dynamic coach like Frost generating a lot of excitement and, therefore, money flowing, and turning them around. He'd have to assemble a staff of ace recruiters, though.

I obviously don't think Nebraska is a great job, but it's still a good job. The money and fan support are up there with just about anyone, but the recruiting grounds and attraction to Lincoln are obvious drawbacks. I could see a young, dynamic coach like Frost generating a lot of excitement and, therefore, money flowing, and turning them around. He'd have to assemble a staff of ace recruiters, though.

You are right about the money and fan support, they are the only show in town and don't have to worry about administrative support.

Their recruiting though is dead compared to the past, they are no longer a dream offer, a destination offer, and I don't think even a dynamic recruiter is going to change that much.

When they fired Solich they thought that the best candidates would come running to them, they settled instead. Since then they have been scorned or turned down by their first choices and had to go down the list.

You are spot on that Frost will have much better offers, no need to risk his coaching career on going back to Lincoln. As @ahoelsken points out Frost may actually be better off where he is than at Nebraska but I think he won't be able to resist some of the premium jobs coming open.

Recruiting is not a major problem for Nebraska. The numbers contradict that claim.

Back