What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

So, what's driving this:
a. the basketball shoe company federal investigation
b. the football team's performance
c. all of the above

I would normally go with c., but I think a. is probably driving this a lot more than any other factor.
Softball.

I still don’t see the attraction of Jon Gruden. Dude hasn’t coached for years, and then it was in the NFL. How long has it been since he recruited a player? When was the last time he had to deal with an NCAA regulation (ok, ok, I get it, He won’t have to worry about that at Tennessee either), when has he had to deal with issues of class balance? Booster relations?
I just don’t see it.

I still don’t see the attraction of Jon Gruden. Dude hasn’t coached for years, and then it was in the NFL. How long has it been since he recruited a player? When was the last time he had to deal with an NCAA regulation (ok, ok, I get it, He won’t have to worry about that at Tennessee either), when has he had to deal with issues of class balance? Booster relations?
I just don’t see it.
What is the attraction of Dave Logan? When you listen to, and agree with a guys commentary, it makes you feel comfortable and safe with them. I think Gruden bombs at Tennessee. But it will be fun to watch. I could care less about them without him. With him I’d tune in.

Last edited:
I just don’t see it.
Yep and he would be absolutely nuts to take that job. He has a great gig right now and makes no sense whatsoever for him to do this. Unless Tennessee is willing to pay him more than any college coach, I see absolutely no benefit for either side here.

Yep and he would be absolutely nuts to take that job. He has a great gig right now and makes no sense whatsoever for him to do this. Unless Tennessee is willing to pay him more than any college coach, I see absolutely no benefit for either side here.
Unless he just wants to coach again. Career coaches that make it to the highest level are different people. Most would do it until they die, if they could.

https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/deep-dive-industry-insiders-discuss-ole-miss-coaching-search

Good piece on the Ole Miss search.....which is clearly the one we should be paying the most attention to. Their take on MM-
1) They don't think he has good facilities here.....seems like the take a fanbase who has never played up here would have.
2) Doesn't have a lot of security here-This is accurate. I've said since the UA loss that he loses all the goodwill he got from LY and goes back on the hot seat going into next year if he doesn't get us to a bowl game this year, and I think thats a pretty fair take.
3) That search and how attractive that opening is hinges on what the COI says about Ole Miss-If they get hammered, MM is probably their guy. If the NCAA slaps them on the hand, then names like Mike Norvell are in play there.

Last edited:
https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/deep-dive-industry-insiders-discuss-ole-miss-coaching-search

Good piece on the Ole Miss search.....which is clearly the one we should be paying the most attention to. Their take on MM-
1) They don't think he has good facilities here.....seems like the take a fanbase who has never played up here would have.
2) Doesn't have a lot of security here-This is accurate. I've said since the UA loss that he loses all the goodwill he got from LY and goes back on the hot seat going into next year if he doesn't get us to a bowl game this year, and I think thats a pretty fair take.
3) That search and how attractive that opening is hinges on what the COI says about Ole Miss-If they get hammered, MM is probably their guy. If the NCAA slaps them on the hand, then names like Mike Norvell are in play there.

The guy they are quoting knows nothing.
1. We just got done upgrading our facilities which some say compete with most other schools and may be the best in the PAC 12.
2. He has a 5 year $16 million contract that he just sign - how much more security do you want with a losing record.

That said I really hope it happens - I think MacIntyre will give you more losing seasons then winning seasons. If you believe the article - MacIntyre has expressed interest in the job. Article also says they want to compete with Alabama and LSU.

Again, I understand every fan base tends to paint a rosy picture of how attractive the job is, but Ole Miss fans seem to be especially myopic. At best, it is the 5th best job in the division (I would probably rank it behind Arkansas).

1. We just got done upgrading our facilities which some say compete with most other schools and may be the best in the PAC 12.
2. He has a 5 year $16 million contract that he just sign - how much more security do you want with a losing record.

That said I really hope it happens - I think MacIntyre will give you more losing seasons then winning seasons. If you believe the article - MacIntyre has expressed interest in the job. Article also says they want to compete with Alabama and LSU.

Our facilities compete with other schools? I'd agree with that. Best in the Pac 12? I doubt it-we are in the same league as Nike U. Rob Mullens wants something and Uncle Phil writes him a check. As far MM's contract.........really doesn't mean much other than he's going to be here at least through the end of next year barring him taking another job.

Reverse psychology?
Everyone who wants to move on from Coach Mac may need to start changing what we say on Allbuffs, because the Ole Miss job is about the best chance we have to have someone take him off our hands! The only jobs that he probably covets more than Ole Miss would be Georgia Tech or Villanova. So, maybe we all need to write up really positive takes, like "Oh I hope nobody takes our amazing Coach of the Year Guy?" "This is just a blip because he lost so many defensive players and he had a major distraction for a wacko assistant coach", blah, blah, blah. From that article, and from overall research, I would legitimately say that Coach Mac is a top 5 candidate for the Ole Miss Job!!! Very interesting.

Reverse psychology?
Everyone who wants to move on from Coach Mac may need to start changing what we say on Allbuffs, because the Ole Miss job is about the best chance we have to have someone take him off our hands! The only jobs that he probably covets more than Ole Miss would be Georgia Tech or Villanova. So, maybe we all need to write up really positive takes, like "Oh I hope nobody takes our amazing Coach of the Year Guy?" "This is just a blip because he lost so many defensive players and he had a major distraction for a wacko assistant coach", blah, blah, blah. From that article, and from overall research, I would legitimately say that Coach Mac is a top 5 candidate for the Ole Miss Job!!! Very interesting.
Villanova? Never change, 4bienemy. Never change.

Ole Miss would be lucky to get MM. I honestly don’t think that’s a great job. It’s in the SEC and that’s where the attractiveness ends. Unless he figures he can parley a mediocre record at Ole Miss into a bigger deal at Tennessee, I don’t see him going there.

Ole Miss would be lucky to get MM. I honestly don’t think that’s a great job. It’s in the SEC and that’s where the attractiveness ends. Unless he figures he can parley a mediocre record at Ole Miss into a bigger deal at Tennessee, I don’t see him going there.

I think whats attractive about that is they're going to have to give a coach a similar speech to the one that got Baylor Matt Rhule last year-We know our program is burned to the ground, and we're going to give you 6-7 years to fix it. Assuming the NCAA punishes them like we all expect.

I'm not completely there yet. I am fine giving him some more time, but I fear you are correct. I would not be upset if he left for Ole Miss.

And Ole Miss competing with Alabama and LSU is laughable unless they just go hog wild on the cheating (which they are probably already doing).

I think whats attractive about that is they're going to have to give a coach a similar speech to the one that got Baylor Matt Rhule last year-We know our program is burned to the ground, and we're going to give you 6-7 years to fix it. Assuming the NCAA punishes them like we all expect.

He coached at Ole Miss for like 4 years under his mentor, and he likes the town and the south.
The potential salary based on the last coach could and would be $5,000,000 per year and like ahoelsken says, he may get the Rhule deal and get a legit 5 years since he has been shown to be the program builder he is.

He coached at Ole Miss for like 4 years under his mentor, and he likes the town and the south.
The potential salary based on the last coach could and would be $5,000,000 per year and like ahoelsken says, he may get the Rhule deal and get a legit 5 years since he has been shown to be the program builder he is.
Just reviewed MM’s head coaching record again. After dramatic rises at both SJS (3rd year) and CU (4th year), this could be his first year with a significant downturn. Lose out (5-7) and it’s a major regression. Win out (8-5) and it’s tolerably consistent. Note that SJS dropped from 11-2 in MM’s 3rd and final year (presumably with primarily prior recruits) to 6-6 then 3-9 in the following 2 years (with primarily MM reruits). Similarly MM’s first successful year at CU was dominated by an outstanding senior group who were prior recruits (don’t recall if he brought any recruits with talent from SJS to CU). Now the first year with his own recruits is not going well.

An obvious conclusion seems to be that MM & his staff are better at coaching than recruiting. But there are variables that include the coaching ability of their successors at SJS, experienced-based growth in recruiting skills (I know, as unlikely as it seems almost any assistant with a heartbeat will improve with experience), improved recruiting opportunities with an improved W-L record, and lucking into talent that wasn’t on full display in HS.

The bottom line is that 8 years as HC tells us something, but it could realistically take 20 years to assess MM’s ability as HC. Of course it didn’t take Mac1 20 years, and there’s no guarantee Mac2 has not plateaued. We shall see.

[p.s. I didn’t feel Embree got a fair chance - maybe moving on was a good move, but with Hawk recruits and starting with the program pretty much bottomed out - no turnaround was going to take place in 2 years.]

Just reviewed MM’s head coaching record again. After dramatic rises at both SJS (3rd year) and CU (4th year), this could be his first year with a significant downturn. Lose out (5-7) and it’s a major regression. Win out (8-5) and it’s tolerably consistent. Note that SJS dropped from 11-2 in MM’s 3rd and final year (presumably with primarily prior recruits) to 6-6 then 3-9 in the following 2 years (with primarily MM reruits). Similarly MM’s first successful year at CU was dominated by an outstanding senior group who were prior recruits (don’t recall if he brought any recruits with talent from SJS to CU). Now the first year with his own recruits is not going well.

An obvious conclusion seems to be that MM & his staff are better at coaching than recruiting. But there are variables that include the coaching ability of their successors at SJS, experienced-based growth in recruiting skills (I know, as unlikely as it seems almost any assistant with a heartbeat will improve with experience), improved recruiting opportunities with an improved W-L record, and lucking into talent that wasn’t on full display in HS.

The bottom line is that 8 years as HC tells us something, but it could realistically take 20 years to assess MM’s ability as HC. Of course it didn’t take Mac1 20 years, and there’s no guarantee Mac2 has not plateaued. We shall see.

[p.s. I didn’t feel Embree got a fair chance - maybe moving on was a good move, but with Hawk recruits and starting with the program pretty much bottomed out - no turnaround was going to take place in 2 years.]

Glad I read the p.s. first! That's a HOF post there! Saved me some time with the rest!

If there is a School that could buyout Fisher, it would be A&M. The money their boosters give to that School is beyond crazy.

Is Sumlin still on the hot seat? Seems like a case could be to keep him or let him go......and I don't think there's a job that would allow him to make that decision for them that will be out there......Rich Rod is off the hot seat, and Todd Graham probably got himself another year with a win Saturday. Maybe UCLA? Mike Norvell might fit there, too-thought I saw on football scoop his buyout was 500k

Back