What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I would agree given who their QB is now.....I think given how many zone read and stuff we do.......Lashlee would make a fine replacement for Lindgren.

Meh. That seems like replacing Lindgren with a slightly better version.

Meh. That seems like replacing Lindgren with a slightly better version.

I like him, and I'm not sure we're going to do a lot better than him or a Doug Meacham type. I've never been on the ax MM now train, but I think if we miss a bowl, MM is on the hot seat going into next year-Given what RG has said his goals for the program are and the 2019 OOC (featuring home dates with Nebraska and Air Force), I don't see MM sticking around into 19 if this type of play continues.

I'm shocked he lasted this long.....

It looked like the AD was trying as hard as possible to get him through the end of the season. Fans wanted him gone a long time ago but it can be much more disruptive to fire a coach in the middle of the season than to wait.

Finally came to a point where they couldn't wait, a lot of ticket buying fans and donors demanding it happen "right now" instead of waiting and threatening to pull their support.

It looked like the AD was trying as hard as possible to get him through the end of the season. Fans wanted him gone a long time ago but it can be much more disruptive to fire a coach in the middle of the season than to wait.

Finally came to a point where they couldn't wait, a lot of ticket buying fans and donors demanding it happen "right now" instead of waiting and threatening to pull their support.

Not unlike the Hawkins situation in 2009. The negativity became too much and needless to say there's alot more passion at a place like Tennessee.

I may be way out of my depth here and I don’t anticipate the assistant coaching house cleaning to include Lindgren, but in the event he is odd man out and the co OC experiement is done, could Chiv be elevated to OC and could the Buffs entice Koy Detmer to become a QB coach? SIAP.

I may be way out of my depth here and I don’t anticipate the assistant coaching house cleaning to include Lindgren, but in the event he is odd man out and the co OC experiement is done, could Chiv be elevated to OC and could the Buffs entice Koy Detmer to become a QB coach? SIAP.
What's Koy doing now?

Would any other Pac12 school consider him for a QB coach?

If his resume is such that he'd be a legit hire at a peer institution, then it may be a good idea.

But if it's another "hire a Buff, because he was a good player at that position," then pass.

I honestly don't know which it is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I would agree given who their QB is now.....I think given how many zone read and stuff we do.......Lashlee would make a fine replacement for Lindgren.
Moschetti. Big buds with Chiv.

So Koy is an asst. HS coach, i.e. not someone our peers would consider.

If they wouldn't, we shouldn't.

GA or let him work him work his way up.

I remember an assistant coach at CU who was a high school coach before. It turned out really well, he ended up as one of the best coaches we've had. But... after he coached HS and before he came to CU, he spent several years coaching in DII.

Part of the reason why he was so good is because you learn and grow as you climb. Getting promoted too far too fast can be a career killer, just ask some guy named Embree.

QB coach?
I don't know that he's ever been a position coach since he went straight from GA to OC while coaching at lower levels. But that also means that the primary position he has worked with his whole career has been QB since that's what OCs have to do -- the entire offense runs through the position.

If we're looking for an OC, I still like Bob Stitt. Actually, I like him more now that he's had success at the FCS level at Montana.
I think he'd probably jump at the opportunity. I also think it could be sold as an experienced mentor type thing for Chev.

Stitt could look at it as his last serious chance to get a HC position in FBS, or if such an opportunity doesn't materialize, it's a cap to a career that seriously solidifies his retirement pension (Mines is a state school, so Stitt has a lot of time in the PERA system, being OC here would be a very nice way to "top up" his "high 3."*)

*Note: we have a thread in the politics forum to discuss PERA, so let's not get into that here - in this forum let's just accept that PERA is what is, and that it can be a tool CU can leverage in certain situations to get quality coaches.

I think he'd probably jump at the opportunity. I also think it could be sold as an experienced mentor type thing for Chev.

Stitt could look at it as his last serious chance to get a HC position in FBS, or if such an opportunity doesn't materialize, it's a cap to a career that seriously solidifies his retirement pension (Mines is a state school, so Stitt has a lot of time in the PERA system, being OC here would be a very nice way to "top up" his "high 3."*)

*Note: we have a thread in the politics forum to discuss PERA, so let's not get into that here - in this forum let's just accept that PERA is what is, and that it can be a tool CU can leverage in certain situations to get quality coaches.
I just have to say: When is PERA going to permanently fix the system? Or some such thing.:D

Reset:

Open jobs:

Florida- Jim McElwain out. Randy Shannon interim HC. Mullen, Frost, Taggart, Babers? This one will be fun to watch.
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out.
Ole Miss- Hugh Freeze out.
Oregon St.- Gary Anderson out.
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
Tennessee- Food Cart out (h/t 89Buff89). Will Gruden leave his easy chair? Doubtful, I say Mullen, although there is a juicy Petrino to UT rumor floating.

Early list of probables:

KU- Beaty I can't believe there is no chatter about this guy, but then again, everyone in Kansas is revving up for BB.
NU- Riley coordinates a loss to another perennial powerhouse, this time Minnesota, at home...he's a goner, frankly, I am surprised he is still alive. AD Eichhorst already shown the barn door.
Arky- Bielema routed by LSU. I don't see how he survives this.
fUCLA- in honor of ahoelsken, Mora continues to do less with more, but they beat stripper U.

I took Rich Rod (AZ), TGraham (Stripper U), Sumlin (aTm), Odom (Mizzou) off the list of probables. Also Malzahn (Aub.); the Tigers beat #1 UGA, if that doesn't save his job, nothing will.

Back