What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Is Sumlin still on the hot seat? Seems like a case could be to keep him or let him go......and I don't think there's a job that would allow him to make that decision for them that will be out there......Rich Rod is off the hot seat, and Todd Graham probably got himself another year with a win Saturday. Maybe UCLA? Mike Norvell might fit there, too-thought I saw on football scoop his buyout was 500k
I think Sumlin eventually is out at the end of the year. They have way too many boosters with their hands in the pie.

Just reviewed MM’s head coaching record again. After dramatic rises at both SJS (3rd year) and CU (4th year), this could be his first year with a significant downturn. Lose out (5-7) and it’s a major regression. Win out (8-5) and it’s tolerably consistent. Note that SJS dropped from 11-2 in MM’s 3rd and final year (presumably with primarily prior recruits) to 6-6 then 3-9 in the following 2 years (with primarily MM reruits). Similarly MM’s first successful year at CU was dominated by an outstanding senior group who were prior recruits (don’t recall if he brought any recruits with talent from SJS to CU). Now the first year with his own recruits is not going well.

An obvious conclusion seems to be that MM & his staff are better at coaching than recruiting. But there are variables that include the coaching ability of their successors at SJS, experienced-based growth in recruiting skills (I know, as unlikely as it seems almost any assistant with a heartbeat will improve with experience), improved recruiting opportunities with an improved W-L record, and lucking into talent that wasn’t on full display in HS.

The bottom line is that 8 years as HC tells us something, but it could realistically take 20 years to assess MM’s ability as HC. Of course it didn’t take Mac1 20 years, and there’s no guarantee Mac2 has not plateaued. We shall see.

[p.s. I didn’t feel Embree got a fair chance - maybe moving on was a good move, but with Hawk recruits and starting with the program pretty much bottomed out - no turnaround was going to take place in 2 years.]

Yeah.........all he had to do was not run the train totally off the tracks, and that didn't happen

The Corvallis Gazette-Times' Bob Lundeberg reports that former LSU HC Les Miles is interested in the head-coaching position at Oregon State.

Miles is currently working at FOX Sports as an analyst. He has not accepted a coaching gig since being let go by LSU last September. The 63-year-old compiled a sturdy 114-34 record in his 11-plus seasons with the Tigers prior to being shown the door. Oregon State is currently being helmed by interim HC Corey Hall, who is still looking for his first win after an 0-3 start following the abrupt resignation of Gary Andersen. We expect to hear Miles' name floated in relation to multiple open jobs as the season wraps up.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/...cle_d8df8655-9c4b-5cf6-b8c1-e2518b7b019d.html

The Corvallis Gazette-Times' Bob Lundeberg reports that former LSU HC Les Miles is interested in the head-coaching position at Oregon State.

Miles is currently working at FOX Sports as an analyst. He has not accepted a coaching gig since being let go by LSU last September. The 63-year-old compiled a sturdy 114-34 record in his 11-plus seasons with the Tigers prior to being shown the door. Oregon State is currently being helmed by interim HC Corey Hall, who is still looking for his first win after an 0-3 start following the abrupt resignation of Gary Andersen. We expect to hear Miles' name floated in relation to multiple open jobs as the season wraps up.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/...cle_d8df8655-9c4b-5cf6-b8c1-e2518b7b019d.html
He's not actually interested, but he has to "express interest" if he wants to keep the LSU buyout money flowing.

Here's a name there-Could Jeff Tedford listen to them? He's got one win Fresno State in contention for a division title in a year.....

For someone like OSU, a Les Miles would make sense (although he may have better opportunities). He could easily get a 5 year contract worth over $3 million per year which would more than offset the money stilled owed from LSU (about $6 Million left). I expect Miles name will come up in Arkansas if they make a coaching change.

I keep seeing Gus Malzahn's name on the hotseat lists and I can not figure it out. He has Auburn ranked 10th in the playoff rankings.

For someone like OSU, a Les Miles would make sense (although he may have better opportunities). He could easily get a 5 year contract worth over $3 million per year which would more than offset the money stilled owed from LSU (about $6 Million left). I expect Miles name will come up in Arkansas if they make a coaching change.

I keep seeing Gus Malzahn's name on the hotseat lists and I can not figure it out. He has Auburn ranked 10th in the playoff rankings.

I do not think Malzahn should be fired, but there is a reason why he is not very popular. He had a great first season at Auburn and has since been about as mediocre as you can get while struggling on offense, supposedly his specialty. Plus he is 0-6 against the two biggest rivals since two fortunate wins in 2013.

I do not think Malzahn should be fired, but there is a reason why he is not very popular. He had a great first season at Auburn and has since been about as mediocre as you can get while struggling on offense, supposedly his specialty. Plus he is 0-6 against the two biggest rivals since two fortunate wins in 2013.

I hope the hot seat is even hotter tomorrow for Malzahn. Go Dawgs!!! (y)

But looking at worst case, if Auburn finishes at 8-4 how does Malzahn deserve to be fired with the 4 losses coming to Clemson, UGA, Bama, and LSU? Granted the LSU loss would be on Malzahn after going up 20-0 but that game was on the road, and who can fault him for losing 3 games to teams which will likely end up in the playoff?

On the flip side, Auburn has has a chance to play their way into the playoff by beat beating UGA, Auburn, and then beating UGA again in the SECCG. I don't see how Auburn can be denied a spot in the playoff in that scenario despite having 2 losses.

But looking at worst case, if Auburn finishes at 8-4 how does Malzahn deserve to be fired with the 4 losses coming to Clemson, UGA, Bama, and LSU? Granted the LSU loss would be on Malzahn after going up 20-0 but that game was on the road, and who can fault him for losing 3 games to teams which will likely end up in the playoff?

On the flip side, Auburn has has a chance to play their way into the playoff by beat beating UGA, Auburn, and then beating UGA again in the SECCG. I don't see how Auburn can be denied a spot in the playoff in that scenario despite having 2 losses.
Malzahn meddles. Can’t keep his hands off O. Gets horribly conservative with a lead. Screws with QBs. Plays favorites. Neglects D. Gets enamored with his own genius. Treats assistants like crap. Fans are very lukewarm. I’ve been in Aub for three days. Not beloved. At all. Kirby on the other hand...

I was listening to a Nebraska radio podcast about coaching targets and they were discussing McElwain as a potential hire.

A fan called the show and gave McElwain the nickname “Shark Richt” due to all the suspended Florida players. :ROFLMAO:

The problem for Malzahn is if Auburn finishes 8-4, it feels inevitable for another 8 wins in 2018. Going 0-8 against Bama/Georgia over four years is going to put any Auburn coach on the hot seat.

I think he should get one more season, but mainly because I do not know who is a big upgrade out there in what figures to be a crowded SEC coaching pool.

The problem for Malzahn is if Auburn finishes 8-4, it feels inevitable for another 8 wins in 2018. Going 0-8 against Bama/Georgia over four years is going to put any Auburn coach on the hot seat.

I think he should get one more season, but mainly because I do not know who is a big upgrade out there in what figures to be a crowded SEC coaching pool.
Like Sumlin, he might leave on his own terms. Arkansas.

I was listening to a Nebraska radio podcast about coaching targets and they were discussing McElwain as a potential hire.

A fan called the show and gave McElwain the nickname “Shark Richt” due to all the suspended Florida players. :ROFLMAO:

That's how attractive that job is.....they're relegated to Sparkles

That's how attractive that job is.....they're relegated to Sparkles

At this point, it is SCOTT FROST or bust for the Nubs. There is enough talk to go around that they could probably not see anyone other than Frost to the fans, and I doubt there would be anyone that would take it with the unrealistic pressures that come from those idiots. Nebraska might as well go crawling back to the Big 12 if they want success. If Frost takes the job, a couple of key things need to happen:

1) His contract will likely be a 6-year, $36,000,000 contract, so he has lifetime security in case it goes bad.
2) They need to schedule an away game every year in Florida or Texas or California so that all the recruits that Frost needs can go home and play a game. The Big 10 Footprint is of no help to Frost!!! He would be better off with any job in a warmer and more fertile area, such as Florida or UCLA.
3) There needs to be a statewide tour that has open houses to educate every Nebraska resident of the challenges that are now going to hold them back from ever being relevant again, and the challenges that Frost has to overcome.

Either way, there is enough chaos that they are not going to be a powerhouse team next year when we play them and we must win that game!!!

Not sure if anyone has seen this video from the guy in Iowa that makes some pretty funny college football videos, but this just makes me chuckle.

At this point, it is SCOTT FROST or bust for the Nubs. There is enough talk to go around that they could probably not see anyone other than Frost to the fans, and I doubt there would be anyone that would take it with the unrealistic pressures that come from those idiots. Nebraska might as well go crawling back to the Big 12 if they want success. If Frost takes the job, a couple of key things need to happen:

1) His contract will likely be a 6-year, $36,000,000 contract, so he has lifetime security in case it goes bad.
2) They need to schedule an away game every year in Florida or Texas or California so that all the recruits that Frost needs can go home and play a game. The Big 10 Footprint is of no help to Frost!!! He would be better off with any job in a warmer and more fertile area, such as Florida or UCLA.
3) There needs to be a statewide tour that has open houses to educate every Nebraska resident of the challenges that are now going to hold them back from ever being relevant again, and the challenges that Frost has to overcome.

Either way, there is enough chaos that they are not going to be a powerhouse team next year when we play them and we must win that game!!!

Not sure if anyone has seen this video from the guy in Iowa that makes some pretty funny college football videos, but this just makes me chuckle.

They are going to bust.

Frost is going to have multiple better opportunities. He has his ties to Nebraska but he is going to have a shot at jobs that can win him titles.

Because they are so confident that he will come home by the time they figure out who plan B is it might as well be plan X.

Nebraska fans need to figure out that their ceiling is now way lower than what they think it is. They think they are Michigan or Ohio State, they are much closer to Minnesota or Illinois.

Malzahn meddles. Can’t keep his hands off O. Gets horribly conservative with a lead. Screws with QBs. Plays favorites. Neglects D. Gets enamored with his own genius. Treats assistants like crap. Fans are very lukewarm. I’ve been in Aub for three days. Not beloved. At all. Kirby on the other hand...

Does that have anything to do with Rhett Lashlee making the move he did? Seemed really weird...

karma, butchie. karma. maybe dan hawkins will hire you for the staff at davis.

every sec coach who can't beat 'bama is on the hot seat, pretty much every year, but when a guy racks up historically awful losses like butch did, it is really inevitable that they will get popped.

Back