What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Odds have MM at +1200 to be the next Tennessee HC, which is tied with Bobby Petrino and Fleck for 6th best odds behind Gruden (+180), Norvell (+250), Dan Mullen (+450), Les Miles and Chip Kelly (+500) and Jeff Brohm (+1000)

Bielema soon to follow-Mike Norvell to Arky makes a lot of sense......suppose Blake Anderson could be an option there, but I don't see them hiring a coach from Arkansas State (who they don't schedule in anything-maybe we could learn something from that)

The only way MM jumps ship is if he beats Utah. Otherwise the only school he would appeal to is SJSU (exaggeration I know)

Bielema soon to follow-Mike Norvell to Arky makes a lot of sense......suppose Blake Anderson could be an option there, but I don't see them hiring a coach from Arkansas State (who they don't schedule in anything-maybe we could learn something from that)
My money is on Norvell to Arky as well.

Blake Anderson is not going to Fayetteville. Not that he isn't a good candidate (he is), but he has pretty consistently made fun of Arky as not being the most successful team in the state. It would be like CU firing MikMac and hiring Wristen at CSU-Pueblo, it just isn't going to happen.

I would say keep an eye on Mullen too.

Most of it rides on the replacement AD who will likely be on board in the next 10 days, IMO.

My money is on Norvell to Arky as well.

Blake Anderson is not going to Fayetteville. Not that he isn't a good candidate (he is), but he has pretty consistently made fun of Arky as not being the most successful team in the state. It would be like CU firing MikMac and hiring Wristen at CSU-Pueblo, it just isn't going to happen.

I would say keep an eye on Mullen too.

Most of it rides on the replacement AD who will likely be on board in the next 10 days, IMO.

If Mullen leaves Mississippi State, my guess is UF, A&M, or UCLA if that one opens. He's got a ton of security in Starkville, and a ton of talent coming back. He can be picky. I'd love to get Anderson here if we were on the market for a coach-like him a lot.

If Mullen leaves Mississippi State, my guess is UF, A&M, or UCLA if that one opens. He's got a ton of security in Starkville, and a ton of talent coming back. He can be picky. I'd love to get Anderson here if we were on the market for a coach-like him a lot.
Anderson would definitely be on my shortlist if MikMac were to go to Ole Miss.

Reset, with a few midweek rumors:

Open jobs:

Florida- Jim McElwain out. Randy Shannon interim HC. Mullen, Frost, Taggart, Babers? This one will be fun to watch. Some are buzzing Chip Kelly is the man, and is currently being vetted and legaled.
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out.
Ole Miss- Hugh Freeze out.
Oregon St.- Gary Anderson out.
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
Tennessee- Food Cart out (h/t 89Buff89). Gruden is not an option. Mullen, Fleck, Fisher, Frost, Leach (yes, you heard that right), Brohm and Cutcliffe and the Petrino are rumors floating.

Early list of probables:

KU- Beaty KU Pres. gives AD and Beaty the dreaded vote of confidence.
NU- Riley coordinates a loss to another perennial powerhouse, this time Minnesota, at home...he's a goner, frankly, I am surprised he is still alive. AD Eichhorst already shown the barn door. New AD says Riley deserves the chance to finish the season. Look for Riley's scalp on Moos' door the day after Thanksgiving.
Arky- Bielema routed by LSU. AD Jeff Long canned. (h/t DuffMan) Bielema is a dead man walking.
fUCLA- in honor of ahoelsken, Mora continues to do less with more, but they beat stripper U.
aTm- Sources are saying Sumlin is done and that aTm will pursue Jimbo Fisher, who is apparently tight with the aTm AD and allegedly Fisher is tired of Tallahassee. I'll believe that when I see it, but there it is.

I took Rich Rod (AZ), TGraham (Stripper U), Odom (Mizzou) off the list of probables. Also Malzahn (Aub.); the Tigers beat #1 UGA, if that (and/or beating Bama [suck it BuffedUp]) doesn't save his job, nothing will.

Reset, with a few midweek rumors:

Open jobs:

Florida- Jim McElwain out. Randy Shannon interim HC. Mullen, Frost, Taggart, Babers? This one will be fun to watch. Some are buzzing Chip Kelly is the man, and is currently being vetted and legaled.
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out.
Ole Miss- Hugh Freeze out.
Oregon St.- Gary Anderson out.
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
Tennessee- Food Cart out (h/t 89Buff89). Gruden is not an option. Mullen, Fleck, Fisher, Frost, Leach (yes, you heard that right), Brohm and Cutcliffe and the Petrino are rumors floating.

Early list of probables:

KU- Beaty KU Pres. gives AD and Beaty the dreaded vote of confidence.
NU- Riley coordinates a loss to another perennial powerhouse, this time Minnesota, at home...he's a goner, frankly, I am surprised he is still alive. AD Eichhorst already shown the barn door. New AD says Riley deserves the chance to finish the season. Look for Riley's scalp on Moos' door the day after Thanksgiving.
Arky- Bielema routed by LSU. AD Jeff Long canned. (h/t DuffMan) Bielema is a dead man walking.
fUCLA- in honor of ahoelsken, Mora continues to do less with more, but they beat stripper U.
aTm- Sources are saying Sumlin is done and that aTm will pursue Jimbo Fisher, who is apparently tight with the aTm AD and allegedly Fisher is tired of Tallahassee. I'll believe that when I see it, but there it is.

I took Rich Rod (AZ), TGraham (Stripper U), Odom (Mizzou) off the list of probables. Also Malzahn (Aub.); the Tigers beat #1 UGA, if that (and/or beating Bama [suck it BuffedUp]) doesn't save his job, nothing will.

Anybody heard anything on North Carolina-or has Larry Fedora built up enough good will to survive their train wreck of a season? I'd watch for New Mexico and BYU too-Gary Anderson is a Mormon IIRC (You have to be to hold a head coaching gig at BYU-maybe he left Beaverland to get a jump on that gig)

Not sure if Chip still has it. That NFL run was all downhill once the league adjusted. If he's taken the time off to retool, could be great. If he hasn't...
It was always my perception that Chip's O is predicated on having a much faster team that flat-out executes better than the defense- but in the NFL the talent gap is much less, as is the speed gap- and the defense across the ball is likely just as good at executing as the O. That's why Chip never was able to get over the hump and win a huge game at Oregon- he eventually ran into a speedy defense with power up front.

Now- if you put him in Florida with all the local talent and a skilled defensive coaching staff... could be a good fit.

Kelly was a fantastic OC under a strong HC.
Kelly had success at Oregon as HC, but didn't put together a staff, it was ready made.
His DC at Oregon was very good, but not Chips hire. By all accounts, he stayed out of the way.

He struggled at the NFL level.
Kelly had problems with personalities and is abrasive by nature. Maybe a better fit for college game in that way?
I'm sure he can supercharge the Florida offense, but he needs a big time DC and maybe a guy who can insulate him from admin and players alike. Chip has some red flags and I'm not sure his personality will mesh with such a high profile gig.

OTH, if he wins early, he won't have to worry about it.

Kelly was a fantastic OC under a strong HC.
Kelly had success at Oregon as HC, but didn't put together a staff, it was ready made.
His DC at Oregon was very good, but not Chips hire. By all accounts, he stayed out of the way.

He struggled at the NFL level.
Kelly had problems with personalities and is abrasive by nature. Maybe a better fit for college game in that way?
I'm sure he can supercharge the Florida offense, but he needs a big time DC and maybe a guy who can insulate him from admin and players alike. Chip has some red flags and I'm not sure his personality will mesh with such a high profile gig.

OTH, if he wins early, he won't have to worry about it.
San Fran was a complete mess when he got there so I don't think you can really judge him for that and while he did end up getting fired in Philly he did take them to the playoffs early so I wouldn't go complete failure at the NFL level.

San Fran was a complete mess when he got there so I don't think you can really judge him for that and while he did end up getting fired in Philly he did take them to the playoffs early so I wouldn't go complete failure at the NFL level.
Agree, it's a concern is all. If I'm the UF AD, I use critical thinking in a big way.
I'd go Scott Frost perhaps. Less proven as head coach, but built his own staff. Instant offense. Florida recruiting ties are more recent...

Not sure of the budget for Chipper.

And would love to be sure Frost doesn't go to Nubs. A few months ago they were acting like he'd go there in a flash. Now, it seems he's outgrown Stincoln.

Damon Benning is pretty connected to what’s going on in Lincoln. Like Duff mentioned earlier, Frost has a good job right now and can be patient.

And would love to be sure Frost doesn't go to Nubs. A few months ago they were acting like he'd go there in a flash. Now, it seems he's outgrown Stincoln.
I agree, I don't think he goes back to nibletville. He is going to be in the conversation on just about every big job opening up, UT, UF, Arky, aTm and others. kNU just isn't that big of a gig anymore and if anybody understands the unreasonable nature of the polyester-clad cornchub fan, it's Frost.

Anybody heard anything on North Carolina-or has Larry Fedora built up enough good will to survive their train wreck of a season? I'd watch for New Mexico and BYU too-Gary Anderson is a Mormon IIRC (You have to be to hold a head coaching gig at BYU-maybe he left Beaverland to get a jump on that gig)
I've been told that Andersen is NOT Mormon.

Back