What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I don't think you understand USC. It's different here (I'm typing this from USC's campus). And talent is not the problem, in fact, that makes my point. Talent is never a problem at USC. It's coaching.
Truly a case of “rich man” problems. I can see exactly what you are saying. Nebraska used to view itself this way (Solich and Pelini), 10 win coaches that just couldn’t cut it. However, USC has ZERO problem bringing in 5* talent who basically live across the street from campus.

Every single corn fan I talk to still thinks firing these guys was the right move. I’d take a 7-8 year period where CU won 8-10 games a year for a while. This nail biting bowl eligibility crap is getting old.

I don't think you understand USC. It's different here (I'm typing this from USC's campus). And talent is not the problem, in fact, that makes my point. Talent is never a problem at USC. It's coaching. Plenty of people here never wanted or accepted Helton, despite the Rose Bowl win. It's viewed as Darnold winning that in spite of Helton and his staff. I'm telling you, Swann is just looking for a reason to bring in his own guy.
Who would “Swan’s own guy” even be?

Okay sorry he only lost one game this year in conference. Still he got absolutely destroyed by their biggest rival, keep saying dumb **** though.
I'm saying dumb ****? You said he lost 3 conference games every year he's been at USC, then changed it to 2, both of which are false, as some argument his job may be in jeopardy. Now you're saying he got destroyed by their biggest rival?? UCLA is their biggest rival and he's currently 2-0 (likely to be 3-0) against them.

At least don't make **** up if you want to have a meaningful discussion.

Reading on a few different Scout boards that Peterson’s name is popping up due to his frustrations with the Pac12 and Washington feeling like an afterthought.

Isn’t there a health issue in the family? I thought that was a big reason why he wanted to stay in the northwest, there’s a medical facility he trusts up there.

I'm saying dumb ****? You said he lost 3 conference games every year he's been at USC, then changed it to 2, both of which are false, as some argument his job may be in jeopardy. Now you're saying he got destroyed by their biggest rival?? UCLA is their biggest rival and he's currently 2-0 (likely to be 3-0) against them.

At least don't make **** up if you want to have a meaningful discussion.
I said 2 (sorry I mistyped, my bad), wasn't looking at his first interim year either way and was off by a game this year sorry. And I would definitely disagree that UCLA is their biggest rival in football. UCLA is not a great program historically meanwhile Notre Dame-USC has always been a huge game with massive implications.

He’d be stupid not to take one of these major jobs now. You never know what another year brings.
Peterson at Boise State disagrees with this analysis.

A good coach at G5 school that is committed to football can wait for the right opportunity for him and his family.

I said 2 (sorry I mistyped, my bad), wasn't looking at his first interim year either way and was off by a game this year sorry. And I would definitely disagree that UCLA is their biggest rival in football. UCLA is not a great program historically meanwhile Notre Dame-USC has always been a huge game with massive implications.
Cool, maybe go easy on the "dumb s**t" accusations when your facts are a mess.

Agree to disagree on Notre Dame/UCLA.

Peterson at Boise State disagrees with this analysis.

A good coach at G5 school that is committed to football can wait for the right opportunity for him and his family.
Problem is he has definitely not proven he is anywhere near the quality of Peterson. That's a lot of risk for not much more gain (assuming he can get one of these major jobs that are open).

Cool, maybe go easy on the "dumb s**t" accusations when your facts are a mess.

Agree to disagree on Notre Dame/UCLA.
Oh yeah such a mess, I was off on one game that was instead an OOC game, you are just so smart. If you don't think that Helton losing 3 games in 2016 (including an embarrassing 52-6 loss on opening weekend), atleast 2 games in a 2017 season with playoff expectations and a down Pac-12 and a blowout loss to your biggest rival, and then 3-4 losses in 2017 wouldn't put him squarely on the hot seat with an AD that didn't hire him I don't know what to tell you. But you are right, you know all and you won't even listen to the person who is currently working on USC's campus.

Ehh, they have Jack Sears and Matt Fink waiting on the bench.

Neither of whom have started a game. Fink has played sparingly and runs like a wide receiver. Unfortunately, he throws like one too. Darnold is a rare talent and replacing him will not be as simple as plugging the next guy in.

Problem is he has definitely not proven he is anywhere near the quality of Peterson. That's a lot of risk for not much more gain (assuming he can get one of these major jobs that are open).
It doesn't matter what he's "proven" to anyone, it matters what he believes about himself.

If he believes that he's a high quality coach, and he's right, he can afford to wait for the right opportunity.

If he's wrong, he'll pay the price, but it's his decision.

I can understand wanting to wait for the right opportunity, and I won't criticize him for doing so.

Neither of whom have started a game. Fink has played sparingly and runs like a wide receiver. Unfortunately, he throws like one too. Darnold is a rare talent and replacing him will not be as simple as plugging the next guy in.
I agree but just saying that if any school is going to have a great QB waiting in the wings, it's SC. They kinda have a history of it.

Reading on a few different Scout boards that Peterson’s name is popping up due to his frustrations with the Pac12 and Washington feeling like an afterthought.

Isn’t there a health issue in the family? I thought that was a big reason why he wanted to stay in the northwest, there’s a medical facility he trusts up there.

Where would he go? A&M? His son has some rare form of cancer-that I think is in remission. The facility you're thinking of is in Boise IIRC.

Oh yeah such a mess, I was off on one game that was instead an OOC game, you are just so smart. If you don't think that Helton losing 3 games in 2016 (including an embarrassing 52-6 loss on opening weekend), atleast 2 games in a 2017 season with playoff expectations and a down Pac-12 and a blowout loss to your biggest rival, and then 3-4 losses in 2017 wouldn't put him squarely on the hot seat with an AD that didn't hire him I don't know what to tell you. But you are right, you know all and you won't even listen to the person who is currently working on USC's campus.
We'll see, winning a Rose Bowl in your first season as a full-time head coach and following it up with (potentially) the school's first conference championship in a decade is better than USC has seen since Carroll left. He's currently 19-4 in conference with 1 to play - Pete Carroll's first 3 seasons at SC he went 19-5 in conference.

Didn't realize physically being on a campus made you an expert in the inner workings of the AD, good to know. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in Norlin for a few days until I figure out which assistants Mac plans to replace.

UCLA and USC next year, possibly ASU this year? Honestly the only 4 jobs I could see him taking in the Pac-12 are those three, Oregon and possibly Washington but he doesn't seem as good of a fit there.

I think Mora gets fired this year. They're a disaster.

We'll see, winning a Rose Bowl in your first season as a full-time head coach and following it up with (potentially) the school's first conference championship in a decade is better than USC has seen since Carroll left. He's currently 19-4 in conference with 1 to play - Pete Carroll's first 3 seasons at SC he went 19-5 in conference.

Didn't realize physically being on a campus made you an expert in the inner workings of the AD, good to know. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in Norlin for a few days until I figure out which assistants Mac plans to replace.

You can be a dick all you want, man. But yes, I know more about this than you do.

Back