What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Except he didn't have a salary cap! :)
VlgXG.gif

Um, UCF may be a good job, but it does not compare to a UF, UTjr job. $ talks.
For sure. But both those jobs are potentially going in other directions. Which leaves Nebraska. I would be surprised if he passes up the money they throw at him but Damon Benning seems to think that he might do that.

Like onealcd mentioned earlier, maybe Frost waits for a job opening in the West.

For sure. But both those jobs are potentially going in other directions. Which leaves Nebraska. I would be surprised if he passes up the money they throw at him but Damon Benning seems to think that he might do that.

Like onealcd mentioned earlier, maybe Frost waits for a job opening in the West.

Frost would know as well as anyone the limits that Nebraska faces and the excessive expectations. Unless he thinks somehow he can overcome the problems they have and be a long term winner there it is hard to think that he isn't going to be able to get a much better job elsewhere.

I think Frost would be very wise to steer clear of Tennessee.

He is also all in on making a NY6 bowl, which means his focus is going to be on winning the AAC Championship on December 2nd.

Finally, he just had his first kid last week. There are a lot of moving parts here. I still maintain he can be very picky.

This is an article from September, but shows the local Orlando perspective about Nebraska and recruiting.

Edit...added a quote for you.

The problem is college football has changed and so have college football recruits. Unlike Ohio State, Nebraska isn’t in the middle of a fertile recruiting area and the Huskers no longer have the national cache to lure five-star recruits from across the country. In the minds of many top prospects, Nebraska is simply a bitterly cold place in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...t-frost-nebraska-mike-bianchi-0921-story.html

I think Frost also understands that you shouldn't go back to your alma mater when things are bad there and you haven't earned a lot of leeway yet. Jim Harbaugh waited until the time was right for his 4th gig to be at UM. His Stanford success also bought him a lot of credibility and a long leash.

I think Frost also understands that you shouldn't go back to your alma mater when things are bad there and you haven't earned a lot of leeway yet. Jim Harbaugh waited until the time was right for his 4th gig to be at UM. His Stanford and NFL success also bought him a lot of credibility and a long leash.
fixed

This is an article from September, but shows the local Orlando perspective about Nebraska and recruiting.

Edit...added a quote for you.

The problem is college football has changed and so have college football recruits. Unlike Ohio State, Nebraska isn’t in the middle of a fertile recruiting area and the Huskers no longer have the national cache to lure five-star recruits from across the country. In the minds of many top prospects, Nebraska is simply a bitterly cold place in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...t-frost-nebraska-mike-bianchi-0921-story.html
Well, they aren't wrong.

Yeah definitely a good year to see how the pieces come together. If Jimbo does leave FSU you would think Taggart would be the guy there and Frost could then have the Oregon job if he wanted it.

Also if he waits a year UCLA and USC could both be open next year if that is really where he wants to be.

What jobs in the West would Frost potentially be interested in? UCLA is the only one that looks probable of opening up. Maybe Stanford is Shaw jumps to the NFL?

What jobs in the West would Frost potentially be interested in? UCLA is the only one that looks probable of opening up. Maybe Stanford is Shaw jumps to the NFL?
I was laughing at how Nebraska fans felt good about their chances with Frost when it sounded like Florida might steal Taggart away. That Oregon job seems perfect for Frost. Dat Pac12 system and recruiting ties.

UCLA and USC next year, possibly ASU this year? Honestly the only 4 jobs I could see him taking in the Pac-12 are those three, Oregon and possibly Washington but he doesn't seem as good of a fit there.

UCLA and USC next year, possibly ASU this year? Honestly the only 4 jobs I could see him taking in the Pac-12 are those three, Oregon and possibly Washington but he doesn't seem as good of a fit there.
What makes you think USC is going to be open?

He’d be stupid not to take one of these major jobs now. You never know what another year brings. Odds are high that there is nowhere to go but down for him if he stays at his current job (unless he wants to be there long-term). I think in the PAC, if he wants to be there, it is only SC, Oregon and Wash. The rest are too meh. Tennesse may have completely unrealistic expectations and a delusional fan base, but that’s still a good job, especially since they would throw a ton of coin at him. Thge Nebraska job is still good for the right money, but it is definitely much lower on the totem pole than those others.

What makes you think USC is going to be open?
I was just saying it could be. USC was supposed to be in the playoff this year and say they lose 3-4 games next year which is totally possible playing at Texas and against Notre Dame, do you think they would keep Helton around?

I was just saying it could be. USC was supposed to be in the playoff this year and say they lose 3-4 games next year which is totally possible playing at Texas and against Notre Dame, do you think they would keep Helton around?
They've clinched the South already and should have a great shot to beat UW in the CCG this year. Looking ahead, there's really no one that appears close to challenging them in the South for the foreseeable future, so unless Helton s**ts the bed they should be very good for a while.

They've clinched the South already and should have a great shot to beat UW in the CCG this year. Looking ahead, there's really no one that appears close to challenging them in the South for the foreseeable future, so unless Helton s**ts the bed they should be very good for a while.
Well they probably aren't going to play UW in the championship game but okay. Anyways, this is all about expectations and USC didn't meet those expectations. Again, if they lose 3-4 games next year it he could be out. Utah and Colorado should all be better next season as they both lost a lot of players from 2016, Arizona, Washington and Stanford will all be just as good as they were this year and you would think Oregon would take a step forward in year two. Throw that up with a road game at Texas, a good Notre Dame team at home and losing the best QB they have had in a while and it is totally reasonable to say they could lost 3-4 games pre post season. This isn't hard to see at all.

Well they probably aren't going to play UW in the championship game but okay. Anyways, this is all about expectations and USC didn't meet those expectations. Again, if they lose 3-4 games next year it he could be out. Utah and Colorado should all be better next season as they both lost a lot of players from 2016, Arizona, Washington and Stanford will all be just as good as they were this year and you would think Oregon would take a step forward in year two. Throw that up with a road game at Texas, a good Notre Dame team at home and losing the best QB they have had in a while and it is totally reasonable to say they could lost 3-4 games pre post season. This isn't hard to see at all.
I don't see that at all. First, you're right about Washington (my mistake) - my guess is Washington beats Wazzu at home and Stanford beats Cal to earn the North title. USC already whipped Stanford once this season so I think USC will be the favorites to win the CCG.

So last year they won the Rose Bowl, and this year could very well be a conference championship. Utah and Colorado (even if improved) are not going to be ready to challenge SC in the South. They essentially trade out Western Michigan for UNLV in their OOC next year which is pretty much a wash. Oregon and Washington may be better, but USC doesn't play either of them next year. I don't see 4 losses there but if they do manage to lose 3-4 games next year, that probably means 2 losses in conference max which is likely good for another South title. Helton is going to have to do worse that that to be fired IMO.

Helton's got a lot going against him. First, he most likely loses Darnold after this year. Darnold has single-handedly won 7 or 8 games for Helton over the last two years. And the QB prospects behind Darnold are grim (by USC's standards). Next year, he won't have Darnold to bail him out and those wins are likely losses.

Also, like Mac, he was not the current AD's guy. Pat Haden took the interim tag off Helton much to the surprise of many in Troy and then Haden got fired. So if some of those wins turn into losses next season, Lynn Swann may want to bring in his own guy and he would have the backing of USC's powerful donors who never really wanted Helton anyway.

I would agree that short of a giant implosion USC Helton won't be fired from USC. He also isn't going to be a candidate for a pro job so he will be there.

Frost though has no urgency to jump on a job this year. Every year we see major jobs come open that we didn't expect the year before.

Frost has built a solid program where he is, if he stays they will be good enough next year that he will again be at the top of the list for the big openings that come up.

Helton's got a lot going against him. First, he most likely loses Darnold after this year. Darnold has single-handedly won 7 or 8 games for Helton over the last two years. And the QB prospects behind Darnold are grim (by USC's standards). Next year, he won't have Darnold to bail him out and those wins are likely losses.

Also, like Mac, he was not the current AD's guy. Pat Haden took the interim tag off Helton much to the surprise of many in Troy and then Haden got fired. So if some of those wins turn into losses next season, Lynn Swann may want to bring in his own guy and he would have the backing of USC's powerful donors who never really wanted Helton anyway.
Meh, USC has the most talented roster in the conference and have been recruiting lights out, I'm not worried about their talent.

USC hasn't won a conference title since 2008, but have a really good shot this year. Win a conference title on the back of a Rose Bowl win and it would be hard to fire a guy who delivers that. That would be Nebraska-level stupid.

I don't see that at all. First, you're right about Washington (my mistake) - my guess is Washington beats Wazzu at home and Stanford beats Cal to earn the North title. USC already whipped Stanford once this season so I think USC will be the favorites to win the CCG.

So last year they won the Rose Bowl, and this year could very well be a conference championship. Utah and Colorado (even if improved) are not going to be ready to challenge SC in the South. They essentially trade out Western Michigan for UNLV in their OOC next year which is pretty much a wash. Oregon and Washington may be better, but USC doesn't play either of them next year. I don't see 4 losses there but if they do manage to lose 3-4 games next year, that probably means 2 losses in conference max which is likely good for another South title. Helton is going to have to do worse that that to be fired IMO.
Helton has lost 2 conference games every year he has been there. I am not saying Colorado or Utah will challenge them for winning the south, just that there are two losses on their schedule in conference and it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose to Notre Dame and Texas OOC, which would be 4 losses and would put him squarely on the hot seat (they also only have 4 conference home games next season). This isn't Colorado, USC doesn't go crazy when they lose 2 conference games and win their division/conference, especially when they were all expecting to go undefeated. He wasn't hired by the current AD, was a shocking hire to begin with and was always looked at as more of a band aid with a cheap salary that would keep some continuity. USC fans aren't going to be all happy to win a down Pac-12 this year anyways.

Meh, USC has the most talented roster in the conference and have been recruiting lights out, I'm not worried about their talent.

USC hasn't won a conference title since 2008, but have a really good shot this year. Win a conference title on the back of a Rose Bowl win and it would be hard to fire a guy who delivers that.

I don't think you understand USC. It's different here (I'm typing this from USC's campus). And talent is not the problem, in fact, that makes my point. Talent is never a problem at USC. It's coaching. Plenty of people here never wanted or accepted Helton, despite the Rose Bowl win. It's viewed as Darnold winning that in spite of Helton and his staff. I'm telling you, Swann is just looking for a reason to bring in his own guy.

Back