What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

I guess I’m hoping/assuming Lewis is that guy in 2021. This staff hasn’t done anything to make me think they are playing anyone except the best player, so if Lewis is what we think he is, he should be that guy.

Right. That’s why I find the meltdown comical. People are upset that Lytle isn’t the starter even though Lytle clearly isn’t that good and can’t beat out the said backup safety and special teams contributor. People think there’s some untapped potential with Lytle because of his offer list in HS. He’s been on campus for over 3 years now. He’s a less athletic Sam Noyer.

People praise Tucker and the last offensive staff but **** on KD, Chev and Langsdorf, even though Tucker actually decided not to play QB2 or even talk about it. At least KD has acknowledged the idea of getting both PT and until that doesn’t happen over the course of a few weeks, I think they deserve the botd.
I’m confused: who are the posters who are upset that Lytle isn’t the starter? I must have them on ignore...

Channeling the sage advise of the great philosopher Gump, a football team is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get. Let’s wait and see what we have before declaring who should’ve been the starter.

I’m confused: who are the posters who are upset that Lytle isn’t the starter? I must have them on ignore...
Scroll through the last few pages here or the entire meltdown thread. Many comments and gifs laughing at the decision as if choosing Lytle would have been better.

I am very biased against this coaching staff. They haven't done much to earn any benefit of the doubt IMO.
As always, appreciate the characteristic self-awareness and honesty. The fundamental issue with bias though, is we tend to select the data points which support our pre-formed conclusions, so it’s tougher for someone to earn the benefit of the doubt. Like you, I have plenty of questions about this staff, but running an open competition for the QB job where the best performer wins is not one. We shall see.

As always, appreciate the characteristic self-awareness and honesty. The fundamental issue with bias though, is we tend to select the data points which support our pre-formed conclusions, so it’s tougher for someone to earn the benefit of the doubt. Like you, I have plenty of questions about this staff, but running an open competition for the QB job where the best performer wins is not one. We shall see.

Fair. If Noyer plays okay and/or we see at least one of the other QBs play in non-garbage time, I will be happy to be wrong. I just doubt either happens.

If the coaches are smart, they are bringing in a transfer QB regardless of what happens this season.

I am very biased against this coaching staff. They haven't done much to earn any benefit of the doubt IMO.
First coaching staff at CU to hold an open QB competition in almost 2 decades and because you don’t like their decision on the winner, you aren’t able to give them the botd for now. You give the nod and trust Jay Johnson and Mel Tucker for some reason though.

At least Langsdorf has coached some guys who have done something in CFB. Jay Johnson has Steven Montez.

First coaching staff at CU to hold an open QB competition in almost 2 decades and because you don’t like their decision on the winner, you aren’t able to give them the botd for now. You give the nod and trust Jay Johnson and Mel Tucker for some reason though.

At least Langsdorf has coached some guys who have done something in CFB. Jay Johnson has Steven Montez.

What is your baseline for the offense this season?

If he doesn’t play well he won’t even be starting at the end of the season, let alone next year with lewis in the program for another year and the possibility of a grad transfer

If he doesn’t play well he won’t even be starting at the end of the season, let alone next year with lewis in the program for another year and the possibility of a grad transfer

If I am supposed to take what Dorrell says at face value, Lewis is not even a consideration right now.

Which is mostly my point. If Lytle can't clearly beat out a "4th string Safety", why are people so upset that he isn't the named starter?

Spot on. Lytle just can't really run and is too much of a dropback QB. Would have been happy if he left Boulder instead of Strenstrom. I never was a fan of Lytle due to not being a QB that can run.

After watching a bunch the replays from last year and Noyer not being affraid of contact, I feel better about picking up first downs on QB scrambles. I got tired of Montez "Turtling" any time he felt pressure when he could have run for first down. We'll see in 8 days I guess.

Great point and honestly I'd have chosen Noyer over Lytle anytime. If Lewis was ready, I have no doubt he'd be the QB. With Lytle, would we be able to have those RPO plays? Just imagine not being able to call RPOs and maybe the play action passes wouldn't be as effective.

People significantly undervalue grit and perseverance when evaluating football players. Noyer may have limitations, but let’s give him a chance before writing off the season. The QB is a the second most influential person, second to the HC, in setting the culture of a team. Personally, it’d be great to have a team of grinders who understand the game are willing to do what it takes.

A grinder QB took us to the 2016 Pac-12 CCG. Guess the Buffs are going to Vegas this year.

Who really think Chev is even capable of calling an offense that is run heavy and is not styled to throw the ball 2 out of every three downs. This is setting up to be a dumpster fire of a year.

That's one of the biggest concerns I have about Chev and another reason to be thankful that we have Langsdorf if he needs to take over...hopefully after an excellent season.

We all support Noyer. Having teammates that like their QB is not a bad thing. The OL will try their best to keep him upright.

I’m more critical of the coaches in handling the position. I’m not sure anyone could defend having your starting QB move to safety, enter the portal and then return in an 18 month timespan.

More likable than a turtling frat boy for sure.

Noyer = Sefo = passing fullback
look for noyer to run left a lot.

Don't knock Sefo...he helped the Buffs to that magical 2016 season and at least he won't turtle it like Montez did.

I can tell you right now that if lytle is put in he will struggle and it will be over quickly and they will be forced to see what they have in lewis.

So you are saying Noyer has a long leash. Glad we can finally agree.

Our roster still needs a fair amount of turn over if we’re going to be a good program. If that means older guys get a chance to play, and either perform, or are benched in favor of younger guys, I’m fine with that. You’d think the result would be that a number of roster spots open up as transfers happen, and then we can recruit better players. This would be the perfect year to do something like this at the expense of a worse record.

Problem is that I am not confident that this is how this staff will handle this, and more importantly, I have zero confidence thus far that they are capable of recruiting over this roster.

Last edited:
If Lewis was going to be the QB, I'd be thrilled since those coaches believed he was ready to go but I'm happy with Noyer over Lytle. Noyer was also the best teammate for a QB since he played safety last season to try to help the team out. I'm not sure what kind of a person Lytle is when it comes to the football team but I would have hated having another Montez issue where he might have not been respected by the rest of the team. Like with Lytle, I don't know what kind of a person Lewis is to the football team and I don't think the team is as familiar with Lewis as they could have been under normal circumstances.

Perhaps the offense will have better cohesiveness because of what Noyer did last year as long as he doesn't get called for targeting on a play...LOL.

Noyer was the best choice at this time but he's certainly not the most talented QB on the roster since that's Lewis.

Any measure you want.
I feel as though you think I am suggesting Noyer is a good QB who will lead this offense to score a ton of points. I am just questioning why the handwringing over Noyer being named the starter instead of Lytle. I see it as 6 vs half dozen

But as I said to hawg at one point regarding Chev, I would think anything less than 24 ppg is probably considered a failure. That would be a bare minimum. 26-27 would be up there with the best CU offenses of the past decade. 27+ would be top half of the conference. I am expecting somewhere in the 24-27 ppg range.

I feel as though you think I am suggesting Noyer is a good QB who will lead this offense to score a ton of points. I am just questioning why the handwringing over Noyer being named the starter instead of Lytle. I see it as 6 vs half dozen

But as I said to hawg at one point regarding Chev, I would think anything less than 24 ppg is probably considered a failure. That would be a bare minimum. 26-27 would be up there with the best CU offenses of the past decade. 27+ would be top half of the conference. I am expecting somewhere in the 24-27 ppg range.

Pat Shurmur would like a word lol

Fair. If Noyer plays okay and/or we see at least one of the other QBs play in non-garbage time, I will be happy to be wrong. I just doubt either happens.

If the coaches are smart, they are bringing in a transfer QB regardless of what happens this season.

They should’ve brought one in for this year. Mississippi State, Maryland, Arkansas all brought in transfers that now start. All had coaching turnover, all were installing new systems, all were affected by covid. Unfortunately, word has it that CU couldn’t possibly do that because we run too complicated of an offense.

Again, if Noyer is the best we got, I support him and hope he does well. But that doesn’t change the fact that the QB roster has been grossly mismanaged from both recruiting and development standpoint. MacIntyre, Tucker, and to a lesser degree Dorrell are responsible for that. And I include Dorrell because he had this cycle to grab another solid prospect and he lands a lightly recruited player that can’t decide between football and basketball.

Duff, sink and Darth specifically when responding to me suggesting “there’d be some hope” if Lytle was the choice. Also, bcs, but to be fair to him, he melts down about everything.
That’s not at all what I meant. I had high hopes that Lytle would develop enough to be a better than average starter at CU. Noyer winning the job effectively dashed those hopes for me - Lytle just may never be good enough. I wanted Lytle to start because I wanted him to prove he was a better option than a former backup safety, not because I think he definitively is. Hope that makes sense.

That’s not at all what I meant. I had high hopes that Lytle would develop enough to be a better than average starter at CU. Noyer winning the job effectively dashed those hopes for me - Lytle just may never be good enough. I wanted Lytle to start because I wanted him to prove he was a better option than a former backup safety, not because I think he definitively is. Hope that makes sense.

Yup, this

Back