What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Are MM snd MT just really bad at talent eval/roster Mgmt?
MM had a horrible retention rate within his classes. His one good year was mostly Embree recruits and what recruits he did have that were leaders and playmakers were all in the defensive backfield. MM was good at defensive back evaluation/development. He used satellite camps as a basis to recruit because he truly thought he could out think and out scheme everyone. It works at SJSU, but not at this level. Overall, the proof was there that he absolutely was not good at talent eval/roster management.

I am not sure you can really say with MT. There is no question MT would have at least thrown (higher rated recruits) numbers at recruiting which is almost always a successful way to get a decent to good program.

Has anyone ever heard how the other players feel about Noyer? Is he well liked and respected? ...or do we just not know anything about the guy
According to Mark Johnson from his response to someone asking that question on FB, it appears he is well liked- "Sam's a very good athlete. Runs very well. The players love him...and, he's got a nice arm. He just hasn't had a lot of time under center...but, he's a very smart kid. It appeared during camp that it was potentially heading this way."

No way MT was sitting a 5th year starting senior in his 1st year as head coach.
No one was expecting him to but there were plenty of opportunities to get a backup in with an opportunity to do something other than hand the ball off twice and kneel to kill the clock.

There were some games where it was obvious halfway through the 3rd quarter than Montez wasn't going to win the game.

Against Oregon we lost 45-3. The backups got exactly 1 (one) pass attempt.
Against Washington State we lost 41-10. The backups got 4 total pass attempts (Stenstrom 3, Lytle 1)
UCLA 31-14, backups with zero attempts.
Utah 45-14, backups with zero attempts.

In four blowout losses the coaches were either set in their ways or afraid to hurt feelings so we end up with the backups getting a total of 5 passing attempts. And we wonder how we go into this season without a QB who knows how to find the huddle.

I believe Noyer is the better athlete and if we are moving towards a lot of RPO stuff I think Noyer is the better option. Run heavy offense with our stable of backs. A little RPO, and some dink and dunk passes to let our playmakers at WR make plays. Along with our D I think we will be good.
Lewis can watch and learn, I am sure we will see a few set plays for him to get his feet wet and used to the speed of the college game. The more he learns, the more he will play. 20ish practices is not enough to get a true freshman ready to play.
I am going to assume that Lytle cant run the RPO style we are leaning into. Therefore, Noyer got the job with Lewis in waiting.
What is the physical difference between Sefo and Noyer? NOTHING
Big, strong, quick QB
Runs through walls if needed
Semi accurate at best
Only difference is Sefo got to start really early and grew into the position, but honestly was never a dynamic thrower or had even average accuracy.
Noyer has my support, and if he can run RPO really well and can hit some good long passes, who knows? I just want 3-4 wins somehow. Give the ball to these good RB’s

We all support Noyer. Having teammates that like their QB is not a bad thing. The OL will try their best to keep him upright.

I’m more critical of the coaches in handling the position. I’m not sure anyone could defend having your starting QB move to safety, enter the portal and then return in an 18 month timespan.

No one was expecting him to but there were plenty of opportunities to get a backup in with an opportunity to do something other than hand the ball off twice and kneel to kill the clock.

There were some games where it was obvious halfway through the 3rd quarter than Montez wasn't going to win the game.

Against Oregon we lost 45-3. The backups got exactly 1 (one) pass attempt.
Against Washington State we lost 41-10. The backups got 4 total pass attempts (Stenstrom 3, Lytle 1)
UCLA 31-14, backups with zero attempts.
Utah 45-14, backups with zero attempts.

In four blowout losses the coaches were either set in their ways or afraid to hurt feelings so we end up with the backups getting a total of 5 passing attempts. And we wonder how we go into this season without a QB who knows how to find the huddle.
I think your last paragraph says it the best. Hurt feelings. If they benched Montez, he would be done. Did not have the mental ability to overcome that.

No way MT was sitting a 5th year starting senior in his 1st year as head coach.

Not calling for that. Go back to the Oregon game last year, though. It was over at halftime. Why not take Steven out then or after the first offensive possession of the 3rd quarter and use the rest of the game to get a look at somebody else?

Same deal with the CSU game in 2018-that was 45-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. It was probably over at halftime-even though they were technically within striking distance of us. Did Lytle or Noyer throw a pass in that football game?

How talented or not our depth is doesn't excuse MacIntyre and Tucker not using blowouts like the last two games against CSU or 2019 Oregon game to get some of the youth on the roster live reps.
That’s fine and I agree, but my point is that this is largely a CFB coach mentality, not something unique to CU.

We all support Noyer. Having teammates that like their QB is not a bad thing. The OL will try their best to keep him upright.

I’m more critical of the coaches in handling the position. I’m not sure anyone could defend having your starting QB move to safety, enter the portal and then return in an 18 month timespan.

I honestly don't give a **** about Noyer playing safety or entering the portal.

Still need to give Lytle a few series in games. And then Lewis can take over in the last couple of games.

Not calling for that. Go back to the Oregon game last year, though. It was over at halftime. Why not take Steven out then or after the first offensive possession of the 3rd quarter and use the rest of the game to get a look at somebody else?

Same deal with the CSU game in 2018-that was 45-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. It was probably over at halftime-even though they were technically within striking distance of us. Did Lytle or Noyer throw a pass in that football game?
Good points. If MT would have played Stenstrom in those lopsided games, perhaps he does not leave and this QB controversy would have been resolved weeks ago?

That’s fine and I agree, but my point is that this is largely a CFB coach mentality, not something unique to CU.

That's what has to change-especially against opponents like CSU (who has had trouble staying on the field with us in the last four games). Run the ****ing offense with the backups. If the opponent can't stop it, that's not our problem. Attached the Idaho State box from 2016-that's what any game against an outmatched opponent should look like.

Good points. If MT would have played Stenstrom in those lopsided games, perhaps he does not leave and this QB controversy would have been resolved weeks ago?

Whoever. We're in this situation because the last two coaches we had didn't take advantage of chances to get our depth live reps.

Ok, but it seems like a pretty chaotic way to run a QB depth chart.
What about CU football hasn't been chaotic for at least 15 years?

Our recruiting across the board, substandard
Developing an identity and building on it nope
Developing a recruiting strategy and using it, nope
Building depth by using and developing younger players, no
Focus on building a quality staff of assistants, hasn't happened We keep the bad ones and let the good ones move on.

Having out starting QB playing safety the year before fits right in.

Big, strong, quick QB
Semi accurate at best
Only difference is Sefo got to start really early and grew into the position, but honestly was never a dynamic thrower or had even average accuracy.
Noyer has my support, and if he can run RPO really well and can hit some good long passes, who knows? I just want 3-4 wins somehow. Give the ball to these good RB’s
There's definitely a physical difference between Sefo and Noyer. Sefo was slow as molasses going uphill in January.

I had that thought, too. But if he had any belief he was in line for the starting job, why leave?
I believe he entered the portal when Tucker was still coach. I guess in a sense it makes sense if the last staff gave the impression the reigns were going to be turned over to Lewis when he got here.

MM had a horrible retention rate within his classes. His one good year was mostly Embree recruits and what recruits he did have that were leaders and playmakers were all in the defensive backfield. MM was good at defensive back evaluation/development. He used satellite camps as a basis to recruit because he truly thought he could out think and out scheme everyone. It works at SJSU, but not at this level. Overall, the proof was there that he absolutely was not good at talent eval/roster management.

I am not sure you can really say with MT. There is no question MT would have at least thrown (higher rated recruits) numbers at recruiting which is almost always a successful way to get a decent to good program.

I would have agreed with everything you said, right up to the point you said something remotely positive about MT. Then, no f***** way. (re knee jerk)

Big, strong, quick QB
Semi accurate at best
If I recall correctly, Sefo had a hard time throwing to his left.

Was busy all afternoon but just started looking at the ol social media about the Noyer news. CU fans have gone mostly nuclear on the news, but I am not sure I've ever seen more comments about CU ever. I guess that means people still care, so we got that going for us!

People significantly undervalue grit and perseverance when evaluating football players. Noyer may have limitations, but let’s give him a chance before writing off the season. The QB is a the second most influential person, second to the HC, in setting the culture of a team. Personally, it’d be great to have a team of grinders who understand the game are willing to do what it takes.
You know who was a grinder and had perseverance in spades? Sefo.

That translated to one bowl game. Yes, those are qualities we want in a QB, but it can’t come at the expense of arm talent and an ability to read a defense. I believe that’s where people are concerned.

Back