What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Noyer starting means a few things to me:

1) Lytle is probably no better than a career backup at a program that has had below average QB play during his entire career.
2) Lewis just isn’t ready, and probably isn’t all that close yet.
3) Dorrell has decided that with the late start his staff got, really no spring football, and the stop/start uncertainty of this season they are going to play it very conservatively. Playing solid defense, running the ball a lot, and playing the guy who will limit turnovers gives this team the best chance to win.

This all may be the correct approach, it’s just not the exciting approach from a fan’s perspective.

transfer QBs start immediately all the time and do well.

Graduate transfers can play immediately (under normal conditions), and that takes some serious courting, too—often a near promise to start: recalling the Texas Tech QB who pulled out at last minute to go to Cal because Sefo could move around without a limp at the Spring Game. This is not a snap your fingers and bring in a great starter deal.

Graduate transfers can play immediately (under normal conditions), and that takes some serious courting, too—often a near promise to start: recalling the Texas Tech QB who pulled out at last minute to go to Cal because Sefo could move around without a limp at the Spring Game. This is not a snap your fingers and bring in a great starter deal.

Yeah, Davis Webb. I agree that it was probably too late for Dorrell to land a quality transfer. It wasn’t for Tucker, though, and that transfer should’ve been in place before he began his courtship with MSU.

For the last year, I’ve been saying that CU was effectively placing all its chips on Lewis and if they didn’t hit, things would be rough. Now, I’m not writing off Lewis at all, but CUs current position was pretty easy to forecast.

giphy.gif

1) Lytle is probably no better than a career backup at a program that has had below average QB play during his entire career.
3) Dorrell has decided that with the late start his staff got, really no spring football, and the stop/start uncertainty of this season they are going to play it very conservatively. Playing solid defense, running the ball a lot, and playing the guy who will limit turnovers gives this team the best chance to win.

This all may be the correct approach, it’s just not the exciting approach from a fan’s perspective.
If this were a normal year that actually counted, I could see the logic in being more conservative.

They should’ve brought one in for this year. Mississippi State, Maryland, Arkansas all brought in transfers that now start. All had coaching turnover, all were installing new systems, all were affected by covid. Unfortunately, word has it that CU couldn’t possibly do that because we run too complicated of an offense.

Again, if Noyer is the best we got, I support him and hope he does well. But that doesn’t change the fact that the QB roster has been grossly mismanaged from both recruiting and development standpoint. MacIntyre, Tucker, and to a lesser degree Dorrell are responsible for that. And I include Dorrell because he had this cycle to grab another solid prospect and he lands a lightly recruited player that can’t decide between football and basketball.

This is a dumb take. Locksley is in year 2 at Maryland-and I saw a lot more of Tua's brother than the GT you referenced. Sam Pittman was hired in December of last year. Mike Leach in early January of this year. Does Costello even play? I know he's been benched already.

I feel as though you think I am suggesting Noyer is a good QB who will lead this offense to score a ton of points. I am just questioning why the handwringing over Noyer being named the starter instead of Lytle. I see it as 6 vs half dozen

But as I said to hawg at one point regarding Chev, I would think anything less than 24 ppg is probably considered a failure. That would be a bare minimum. 26-27 would be up there with the best CU offenses of the past decade. 27+ would be top half of the conference. I am expecting somewhere in the 24-27 ppg range.

I would prepare to be disappointed based on last year With a 5th year sr qb and an nfl wr. They avg. just under 20 a game in conference. Defense gave up an avg. Of 32. I like your optimism and hope for better also I just don’t see it.

I haven't said or seen anyone else on here who thinks that.

I have said that they deserve the botd on this decision at least until we start playing games.

And this where you and I go round and round. You do not manage the QB position with “benefit of the doubt”. I’m not sure there is a single school in all of P5 that would swap their QB room with ours.

I would prepare to be disappointed based on last year With a 5th year sr qb and an nfl wr. They avg. just under 20 a game in conference. Defense gave up an avg. Of 32. I like your optimism and hope for better also I just don’t see it.
Yeah, Jay Johnson was a bad OC and Montez regressed each year he was the starter. To be accurate, though, Chev coordinated the 2018 offense to the highest scoring offense at CU in the past decade outside of 2016 and he did it with fewer games with Viska than JJ and MT had last year.

And this where you and I go round and round. You do not manage the QB position with “benefit of the doubt”. I’m not sure there is a single school in all of P5 that would swap their QB room with ours.

What the **** are you talking about? I never said they were doing that. As a fan, I said I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on the decision to start Sam Noyer until I see this team go up against other teams. Is that really that difficult?

I feel as though you think I am suggesting Noyer is a good QB who will lead this offense to score a ton of points. I am just questioning why the handwringing over Noyer being named the starter instead of Lytle. I see it as 6 vs half dozen

But as I said to hawg at one point regarding Chev, I would think anything less than 24 ppg is probably considered a failure. That would be a bare minimum. 26-27 would be up there with the best CU offenses of the past decade. 27+ would be top half of the conference. I am expecting somewhere in the 24-27 ppg range.

I still think whatever this weird collaboration between Chev, Langsdorf, and Dorrell is not conducive to success. An OC who does not coach the QBs is a big disadvantage in college football.

Don't knock Sefo...he helped the Buffs to that magical 2016 season and at least he won't turtle it like Montez did.

Oh, I'm not knocking Sefo. I'm actually complimenting Noyer. Noyer is fairly big and strong and not afraid of contact. I think his style may resemble Sefo's style and that's what we should expect. I don't think Noyer can play as well as 2016 Sefo but a close approximation would win us a few games.

Not sure Noyer is going to limit turnovers

I still think whatever this weird collaboration between Chev, Langsdorf, and Dorrell is not conducive to success. An OC who does not coach the QBs is a big disadvantage in college football.

Wasn't the 2018 offense until Chev way more productive than the 2019 offense under Jay Johnson (who coached QBs)?

I think why people are upset/disappointed with Noyer as the QB

-it means Lytle sucks. Couldn't beat out a guy that played safety last year?
-we've seen Noyer and it isn't good. Maybe playing safety made him better? cringe
-we threw all of the eggs in the Lewis basket and he's apparently not even in contention?
-the future doesn't look much better if Lewis doesn't get in there. Unless we're moving all eggs to a Drew Carter basket

I kept saying all offseason (prior to KD getting hired) we needed to get a GT. MT apparently wasn't down and was cool with Lytle/Lewis to battle it out. Obviously nobody could foresee covid coming, but Lytle must not be very good if he can't beat out Noyer. So now we're likely ****ed. Roster mismanagement times a billion which sums up CU football for the last 15 years

1) Lytle was over hyped from the beginning similar to Beau Bisharat.
2) Physically he's more than ready the mental side is the only reason he shouldn't be at least #2.
3) No idea what KD is thinking, as a fan who appreciates good D the D might win a game or two.
On the record this season is a boon for all the teams who are looking to the future and a year from now we'll see exactly which coaches see this season thus. If the PAC had settled on a 10 game season this would be different...7 isn't going to gain the 12 any cred even if they go undefeated, on the upside a 5-2 6-1 or 7-0 PAC will be ranked in 21. I watched Grayson High (GA) last night with the QB committed to SC bank says he won't be riding the pine in 21.
Should the purpose of this season be win a game or two show some talent and convince the BUFF Nation or build for going forward?

Just imagine how screwed we would be if we didn't have a running game to look forward to this season.

1) Lytle was over hyped from the beginning similar to Beau Bisharat.
2) Physically he's more than ready the mental side is the only reason he shouldn't be at least #2.
3) No idea what KD is thinking, as a fan who appreciates good D the D might win a game or two.
On the record this season is a boon for all the teams who are looking to the future and a year from now we'll see exactly which coaches see this season thus. If the PAC had settled on a 10 game season this would be different...7 isn't going to gain the 12 any cred even if they go undefeated, on the upside a 5-2 6-1 or 7-0 PAC will be ranked in 21. I watched Grayson High (GA) last night with the QB committed to SC bank says he won't be riding the pine in 21.
Should the purpose of this season be win a game or two show some talent and convince the BUFF Nation or build for going forward?
I think the purpose of the season should be to take advantage of the free season of eligibility to get long looks at most of the freshman class, see who will be future contributors and use that to encourage a bunch of upper class attrition in the off-season and recruit our asses off. So far I’m not seeing it, at least in recruiting.

I think the purpose of the season should be to take advantage of the free season of eligibility to get long looks at most of the freshman class, see who will be future contributors and use that to encourage a bunch of upper class attrition in the off-season and recruit our asses off. So far I’m not seeing it, at least in recruiting.

Beating our South rivals plus a bowl game would do wonders for the program's trajectory.

Back