What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

I will be over at the stadium tonight, not sure how close I can get to the construction but I will at least get a different perspective on the work. I will let you all know if I see anything particularly interesting.

Depending on how late you head over, you may see a naked 35-year old sacrificing a goat while chanting the CU fight song. You can just go ahead and ignore that.

I will be over at the stadium tonight, not sure how close I can get to the construction but I will at least get a different perspective on the work. I will let you all know if I see anything particularly interesting.
I was looking for an overhead shot - bet you can get a good one from the top of the crane.

Depending on how late you head over, you may see a naked 35-year old sacrificing a goat while chanting the CU fight song. You can just go ahead and ignore that.

The band should drown out anything you are doing on the 50. I hope.

I was looking for an overhead shot - bet you can get a good one from the top of the crane.
Anyone remember the drunk CU student who climbed onto a construction crane, I think when they were building the law school, and got himself killed? I think he was swinging on the cable and hit a wall or something.

So you are saying that the band will start silencing the lambs?

They start that on the 29th. BTW for those going to the showdown, CU plays half time first and their final song is CSU's first song. Would be nice to uh... let CSU know they are doing a poor job.

Nothing stood out tonight about the construction, looked like they were done working for the day. The NE corner looks BIG in person. The endzone construction, is not a noticeable change because they really just replaced the metal bleachers but the quality looks much better than the metal.

I counted over 70 construction workers on the job in the pics from the webcams. They're getting work done!

Everything is awesome.
everything is cool.
Everything is awesome when your part of a team!

Cmf_emmet.jpg

This is going to be a BIG week in the construction. They are going balls to the wall in the northeast seating area. I'd bet by the end of the day, most of the forms will be up. They are getting ready to start installing the seating in the north end zone area.

This is going to be a BIG week in the construction. They are going balls to the wall in the northeast seating area. I'd bet by the end of the day, most of the forms will be up. They are getting ready to start installing the seating in the north end zone area.

Looks like they are going to build form it exactly like they did the loge boxes. Big stair step forms, pour concrete, put foam in, form work, pour concrete. If they have the same size crew working over there as they did on the endzone expansion, things will be happening very quickly. I think they are gonna make it. Someone brought up the 28 day curing earlier and I think they will be fine. Concrete needs 28days to reach 90% design strength. However at about 14days it reaches 80%. The main support beams and columns will all be well past 28days so I think as far as safety is concerned the concrete will be more than ready to take the load of a few hundred people in that corner.

Very excited to see the seats go in and to see the new seating sections done. Won't be long now.

Looks like they are going to build form it exactly like they did the loge boxes. Big stair step forms, pour concrete, put foam in, form work, pour concrete. If they have the same size crew working over there as they did on the endzone expansion, things will be happening very quickly. I think they are gonna make it. Someone brought up the 28 day curing earlier and I think they will be fine. Concrete needs 28days to reach 90% design strength. However at about 14days it reaches 80%. The main support beams and columns will all be well past 28days so I think as far as safety is concerned the concrete will be more than ready to take the load of a few hundred people in that corner.

Very excited to see the seats go in and to see the new seating sections done. Won't be long now.
They must be using high early strength concrete. The two rake beams were poured and stripped in 2 days. Yeah, you're correct, I'm pretty sure, on the construction being similar to the loge area. It looks like they'll have the deck and wall forms in place today. It's fun watching the progress during the day. I just realized you can hover over the calendar and the photo times come up and you can click on them to view progress in 15 minute (+/-) increments.

They are also starting scaffolding on the upper deck. They have to continue the bleacher deck all the way to those back columns, I think.

Last edited:
They must be using high early strength concrete. The two rake beams were poured and stripped in 2 days. Yeah, you're correct, I'm pretty sure, on the construction being similar to the loge area. It looks like they'll have the deck and wall forms in place today. It's fun watching the progress during the day. I just realized you can hover over the calendar and the photo times come up and you can click on them to view progress in 15 minute (+/-) increments.

They are also starting scaffolding on the upper deck. They have to continue the bleacher deck all the way to those back columns, I think.

They must be high early strength. There is a wall in the background that was just formed and stripped in the past 24hrs

On the side closest to Dal Ward I think you can see how much farther they have to form. Looks to be about 2 more levels. They are moving fast.

Last edited:
Also just noticed they are grading, and preparing the exposed dirt on the original bowl. Looks like they will be replacing that concrete and bleachers in the near term as well.

Also just noticed they are grading, and preparing the exposed dirt on the original bowl. Looks like they will be replacing that concrete and bleachers in the near term as well.
I noticed that. I also just realized that, while they are forming up the middle tier of seating, they still have to do the lower and upper tiers. So, they will be building scaffolding below and above the stuff they are forming right now.

I noticed that. I also just realized that, while they are forming up the middle tier of seating, they still have to do the lower and upper tiers. So, they will be building scaffolding below and above the stuff they are forming right now.

Yep, with the endzone pretty much done, minus the finishes, it will be all hands on deck on the NE corner. Lots going to be happening all at once.

Reps to Shldr2Shldr and DBT, the Allbuffs color commentary team. Thanks for shedding light on what's happening.

why isn't a raker beam needed on far left of new NE seating like on far right? does it have to do with if there will be an aisle there or some other reason?

why isn't a raker beam needed on far left of new NE seating like on far right? does it have to do with if there will be an aisle there or some other reason?

With the way the seating is going to be hanging over the side like it is formed right now, it looks like there is going to be some kind of wall there. I think. Or maybe it is just an overhang, not sure.

With the way the seating is going to be hanging over the side like it is formed right now, it looks like there is going to be some kind of wall there. I think. Or maybe it is just an overhang, not sure.
Yeah. I think you'll see 'em build a vertical form along the left side right in line with the columns below. If you noticed, the rebar from the columns extends up to tie into the slab and probable wall.

are they doing loge boxes in the corner? Didn't think they were, but the forms they are building look closer to those than the bleacher seats in the endzone.

Here's one on the Contractor's web site. You can see the bleachers do not extend all the way to the field. This one's probably more accurate than the one above. No overhang above the north end zone stands. So the wall at the left end extends all the way from the ground up.

20140425__28DCBCOVw~1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one on the Contractor's web site. You can see the bleachers do not extend all the way to the field. This one's probably more accurate than the one above. No overhang above the north end zone stands. So the wall at the left end extends all the way from the ground up.

20140425__28DCBCOVw~1.jpg
what the hell is with that weird space between the new building and the bowl? weird lookin. Also, wasted space. something they cut out to save $? Should be easy to expand there, no?

what the hell is with that weird space between the new building and the bowl? weird lookin. Also, wasted space. something they cut out to save $? Should be easy to expand there, no?

The seats here are not normal seats. Those are also club seats so they are very worried about sight lines. Another issue is the angle that they are approaching the lower bowl makes it almost impossible to continue them down and fill in that space.

After thinking about it a second, I wonder if that space is going to kind of be a staging area for ralphie and her truck.

champions_club_seat.jpg

sample chair for the premium seating in the "Champions Club"
You can read more information about that here: http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=209511460&DB_OEM_ID=600

The first one that DBT posted looks much better for a couple of reasons. One, the enclosure goes all the way around from the east stands to the alley where the team comes out. There's no big gap like snow just mentioned. Secondly, it looks much better with the stands coming all the way to the field in the NE corner

Back