What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

This is something like the 5th straight day they have been dealing with a lot of rain in the afternoon. Has to be setting them back, no?

This suddenly became my new favorite thread...so any concrete poured today?? How's the steel coming along?

This is the sunshine in a dark dark place.

True dat.

No one thing is going to make CU football great again. There are a lot of pieces to that puzzle. But seeing that we're finally getting some pieces that are great makes it a lot more reasonable to believe in a better future.

Hope someone will be buying those new fancy expensive seats, AD can use all the help they can get. I'm sticking to my current seats to see what develops. I think I have to at least see it thru next year to see if we can make a bowl game.

The gray stuff they are putting on, I'm pretty sure, is a skim coat finish to hide all the air pockets and imperfections.

Not sure about the terminology, but isn't that why they screed and float it?
Hell if I know what they are doing. They are putting some sort of 3 part coating on. Must be some sort of waterproofing. I'm trying to figure out how the bleachers will go in. A lot of that will be covered. They aren't building this like they did the north center section. Maybe they will bring in the styrofoam again. Like they did the loge box area.

What I don't get is putting the coating on a day after the concrete was placed. It hasn't cured yet and they are coating it. Hell if I know.

They knocked off early yesterday and aren't working today and, I'm sure, tomorrow. That gives them 11 days. :sad1:

Not sure about the terminology, but isn't that why they screed and float it?

floating is to add a skim coat to level out areas. usually happens around doors and in floor electrical/ data boxes to eliminate tripping. also happens a lot on older slabs that are not level overall.

floating is to add a skim coat to level out areas. usually happens around doors and in floor electrical/ data boxes to eliminate tripping. also happens a lot on older slabs that are not level overall.

Actually, at least according to Wikipedia, I remembered the terminology correctly. I guess it may be, but isn't necessarily another coat of anything.

a lot of times it happens in an existing situation (like an office tenant improvement), hence the need for an additional coat, or rather another layer of concrete topping would be more correct.

Edit, sorry just reread what you said. yes, the float is the tool. to float a floor or floating a surface is often to do as I described above.

Last edited:
I think you guys are talking about two different things. For concrete flat work, screeding is just dragging a long straight edge over freshly poured concrete to "level" it out to its finished grade. Then, sometimes, immediately after it's placed, you "float" it to work in the aggregate and smooth out the surface. When it begins to set up, you trowel it to a finished surface.

What at the we're doing is, after it had cured for a day or so, was put a three part coating on. The first was a white looking material, then a gray looking second coat and, finally, a black finished coat. I've never seen that before other than the black waterproofing asphaltic stuff they put on foundation walls.

Stadium Cam is unfrozen finally. Hard to tell with the early morning glare, but it doesn't look like too much changed over the weekend.

Rake beams appear to be finished.

2nd tier of stadium seating section was poured and should be stripped soon.

Lots of digging done on the IPF site.

Last edited:
Stadium Cam is unfrozen finally. Hard to tell with the early morning glare, but it doesn't look like too much changed over the weekend.

Rake beams appear to be finished.

2nd tier of stadium seating section was poured and should be stripped soon.

Lots of digging done on the IPF site.

I don't know how this works with getting the go-ahead that it's game ready. I would assume that there's some sort of inspection that has to happen before you can put 1,000 paying customers on a structure?

I'd expect seats do be done in the end zone this week and that part all but done.

With the NE, it's really hard to tell how close they are. I mean, I'm not exactly what they're supposed to finish by next weekend and what steps are involved. So it's pretty much impossible to know. I just hope to see seats starting to get bolted in before mid-week next week.

I don't know how this works with getting the go-ahead that it's game ready. I would assume that there's some sort of inspection that has to happen before you can put 1,000 paying customers on a structure?

I'd expect seats do be done in the end zone this week and that part all but done.

With the NE, it's really hard to tell how close they are. I mean, I'm not exactly what they're supposed to finish by next weekend and what steps are involved. So it's pretty much impossible to know. I just hope to see seats starting to get bolted in before mid-week next week.

As far as letting people on it, that depends on the concrete and additives they are using. If it is 7 day cure on the concrete due to the additives then it should be fine. Up until now they have maintained that the schedule is tight but they are on time and expect it to be ready. I think they are starting to reach the critical point of being able to inform the ticket holders if they can have their seats or not.

Luckily in the NE corner, the seats don't have to bolted in. They are movable bar stool type seats so they will be going in really quickly. I am more interested in them fixing the bleacher seat situation in the bowl.

It is concerning because without those seats some people won't be able to get into the game.

Am I doing this right?

We don't need to upset any season ticket holders right now. Well, you never want to do that. But right now is a time for ass kissing.

It is concerning because without those seats some people won't be able to get into the game.

Am I doing this right?

There will be plenty of seats available even if the NE corner isn't ready. I assume they will get ticket holders seats elsewhere in the stadium--it would probably go a long way to give them a partial refund as well.

Looking at the site today, they only have 6 or 8 guys working in the northwest stands. They can't allow the public in unless they have the bleachers in and the site is safe. That means railings, etc. This will still be an active construction site by game time. I'm not sure if it will be deemed "substantially complete" so that the owner can begin using it. I'm sure there are enough empty seats in the stadium that they can move those ticket holders to other locations.

One thing I was wondering, did they have a "liquidated damages" clause in the contract for getting those seats open and, if they did, were they paying the contractor to "accelerate?" That could account for higher labor costs. BTW, Mile High/Invesco/Sports Authority, when they were building it, had something like $65,000 per day in LD's.

Since the Contractor knocked off early Saturday and didn't work Sunday or Monday, I imagine they aren't too concerned. Either they are going to get if finished, for which I'd be shocked, or they are moving folks to other seating.

Last edited:
Very little activity on the IPF site as well. The level of activity on the stadium and IPF is considerably less than before Labor Day, it seems to me.

Probably what happened is RG got calls from his donors saying "**** you!" and Rick had to tell the Contractor we are out of money.

Very little activity on the IPF site as well. The level of activity on the stadium and IPF is considerably less than before Labor Day, it seems to me.

Probably what happened is RG got calls from his donors saying "**** you!" and Rick had to tell the Contractor we are out of money.
or more accurately, all hands on deck to the NE corner

any guesses why end zone work has all but stopped? waiting for more seats and marble to be delivered?

Back