What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

I don't either. But, then again, I really am completely ignorant as to the scope of the work, the time it takes to do the things on the punch list, and how many hours they'll be working this week (i.e., is it 24-hours a day in 3 shift? all week). It's hard for me to imagine all of this getting done and we did look at styrofoam forms for over a week in the end zone, but I just don't know.

Chef Robert Irvine (Restaurant Impossible) would have it done in two days

Last edited:
Lot of guys seem to be focusing on the closure between the old and new seating. Today will tell the tale as far as Saturday goes.

I'm guessing they will be working right up to the point that the gates open.

Lot of guys seem to be focusing on the closure between the old and new seating. Today will tell the tale as far as Saturday goes.

several chances of rain this week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) so your are right ... today is a big day IMHO to see how much gets done

this reminds me of the movie "Gung Ho"

[video=youtube;Om3C1EpHLGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1EpHLGs[/video]

I have to wonder if somebody is going to sit down and have their seat fall apart because it wasn't bolted together properly.

C'mon guys, there's no chance the NE section will be open for ASU. I only give them a 50% chance to be available for Hawaii.

I believe I see rebar over the lower levels of styrofoam. Or something like it. bet that gets poured today.

I believe I see rebar over the lower levels of styrofoam. Or something like it. bet that gets poured today.

Rebar is in, formwork is starting. We will see. They will have to work fast.

Looks like they are all in on getting the bleachers finished so that at least those are all open. Also looks like they are getting the NE ramp prepped for finishing. The team and band have been assured it will be ready for use on the first game.

C'mon guys, there's no chance the NE section will be open for ASU. I only give them a 50% chance to be available for Hawaii.

I agree that the expectation for the NE corner being open for ASU is a stretch. The Mortenson-Populous fly through video shows the NE building completion is February.

Does it make since to open the NE stands without having the corresponding concourse, patio, and bathrooms complete?

I agree that the expectation for the NE corner being open for ASU is a stretch. The Mortenson-Populous fly through video shows the NE building completion is February.

Does it make since to open the NE stands without having the corresponding concourse, patio, and bathrooms complete?

At $55 a seat it makes a lot of cents.

As of late last week George and the project manager for Mortenson said it'd be done in time

They would need to pour that concrete by wednesday to have enough time to get everything else in place. Its going to be tight. I don't see it happening for ASU at this point. Guess we will see how far they get today.

It appears the new Section 121 will be poured by Wednesday. They should be done with all but the last dozen rows by tomorrow morning and then will be forming the next group in the afternoon.

Not sure about the NE Champions Club. Right now it appears the North and middle section are completely formed for Styrofoam and they are probably going to be done with NE Styrofoam by end of day or tomorrow. Laying rebar and forming would take about 24 hours. Earliest pour would be Thursday and if it rains, it will be tight. They have to pour by Thursday.

Luckily the game is Saturday at 8:00. They will be finishing putting in new seats in Section 121 and putting together that area if weather cooperates. Praying for good weather. I see worse case scenario the Champions Club waits a week. Those people should be put in club level for the game or the end zone at least. We are in Section 121. I don't think they want to move us and the other people in that section nor should they have to. If you look at current work zone it's netted off at Section 120.

Will some of those 121 seats have a partial obstructed view of the far NE endzone corner? Last drawing I saw they were level with the new NE seats but it actually has 6 ft wall.

Will some of those 121 seats have a partial obstructed view of the far NE endzone corner? Last drawing I saw they were level with the new NE seats but it actually has 6 ft wall.

It's hard to tell w/o the field being painted, but it looks like the north end of 121 will be at least even with the back of the end zone and maybe a few feet further north.

It appears the new Section 121 will be poured by Wednesday. They should be done with all but the last dozen rows by tomorrow morning and then will be forming the next group in the afternoon.

Not sure about the NE Champions Club. Right now it appears the North and middle section are completely formed for Styrofoam and they are probably going to be done with NE Styrofoam by end of day or tomorrow. Laying rebar and forming would take about 24 hours. Earliest pour would be Thursday and if it rains, it will be tight. They have to pour by Thursday.

Luckily the game is Saturday at 8:00. They will be finishing putting in new seats in Section 121 and putting together that area if weather cooperates. Praying for good weather. I see worse case scenario the Champions Club waits a week. Those people should be put in club level for the game or the end zone at least. We are in Section 121. I don't think they want to move us and the other people in that section nor should they have to. If you look at current work zone it's netted off at Section 120.

Customer service should dictate that if they don't make it, they reward the risk you guys took and move you to the best unsold seats based on priority points. if that would put some of you in a suite, then that's not a bad thing at all.

Anyone know what type of material they put in for that pathway between the North end zone and the NE stands? Asphalt?

They need to make sure they're not building this for one game. They're building it for all games. If they miss their target by a week or two, that's OK. Don't cut corners or do something stupid just to get it ready by a certain time. Do it right.

They need to make sure they're not building this for one game. They're building it for all games. If they miss their target by a week or two, that's OK. Don't cut corners or do something stupid just to get it ready by a certain time. Do it right.

Mortenson would not risk their reputation by being stupid.

Can someone tell me what the Styrofoam is used for? I don't know jack about construction.

Can someone tell me what the Styrofoam is used for? I don't know jack about construction.

Its a newer construction method. Instead of creating formwork and framing out the bleachers above and below, they can use some super high strength foam to use as a base instead.

Its a newer construction method. Instead of creating formwork and framing out the bleachers above and below, they can use some super high strength foam to use as a base instead.

Do these forms weigh a lot more than regular styrofoam? Because I keep looking at them and the speed of the progress in laying them out and think that if my wife and I donated the labor we could carry them all into place in a single afternoon.

They have to be heavier since they look a lot like insulation as well. I don't believe these are used for bearing. They are most likely designed to span to the bearing points of the structure below and are strictly for forming purposes.

Do these forms weigh a lot more than regular styrofoam? Because I keep looking at them and the speed of the progress in laying them out and think that if my wife and I donated the labor we could carry them all into place in a single afternoon.

To set up the scaffolding and construct the plywood forms, it would take a lot longer. The concrete also has to be designed differently if it isn't supported underneath.

The foam is some ridiculous 10,000psi compression foam or something like that. Holds up the concrete so less rebar has to be used. Makes the whole structure lighter which also reduces cost. Looks like rebar goes up on it much faster too because you can just push the ties into the foam instead of spacing it from the form work.

The foam is super light apparently. Those guys are throwing them around like they are nothing.

Back