What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Resume & Bubble Watch 2021-22

I think we need to be around 65 - 75 for NIT. Does that sound right? D think we need 4 more wins including pac 12 tourney. If we can finish regular season 3 - 1, and win 1 - 2 in pac 12 tourney that should do it, but that’s not a sure thing scenario

I think we need to be around 65 - 75 for NIT. Does that sound right? D think we need 4 more wins including pac 12 tourney. If we can finish regular season 3 - 1, and win 1 - 2 in pac 12 tourney that should do it, but that’s not a sure thing scenario
85th in the net will be more than enough for the NIT.

85th in the net will be more than enough for the NIT.
are you basing this on history or intuition? I've been trying to find historical records from last four years on what NET rankings made the NCAA and couldn't find it (didn't look for NIT)

are you basing this on history or intuition? I've been trying to find historical records from last four years on what NET rankings made the NCAA and couldn't find it (didn't look for NIT)
Intuition. A major conference team with some star power and good story lines isn't going to be left out of the NIT with 20 wins. CU's NET will be at least around 85 if they win 20, and higher if they win more. There are 100 teams that make NCAA (68) or NIT (32). Even with some unexpected small conference entries who don't win their conference tournament but end up in the NIT with a lower NET, that leaves plenty of room for a 20-win major conference team with a NET of 85 to make the NIT.

We've seen teams with NET in the 30s not make it and I think that it was NC State that made it one year with a NET in the high 90s.

General rule of thumb is that you're in good shape if in the top 50.

We've seen teams with NET in the 30s not make it and I think that it was NC State that made it one year with a NET in the high 90s.

General rule of thumb is that you're in good shape if in the top 50.
that's what I thought I heard as well. but VT has been moving around the 30's for over a month now and isn't even making the "first four out" in any of the projected brackets I've seen.

yes, I realize that 0-6 in Q1 games is probably the driving factor there.

that's what I thought I heard as well. but VT has been moving around the 30's for over a month now and isn't even making the "first four out" in any of the projected brackets I've seen.

yes, I realize that 0-6 in Q1 games is probably the driving factor there.
ACC sucking isn’t helping either.

ACC sucking isn’t helping either.
I understood that should already be accounted for in both the NET ranking and in the classification of VT's games into the various quads

Notre Dame is currently 2nd and 57 in Net. Crazy.
Coach Montgomery was doing the Buffs game last night. He talked about one of the things that drives coaches crazy with the selection committee is that they don't even look at or care about where you finished in your conference standings.

I don't like that either.

Coach Montgomery was doing the Buffs game last night. He talked about one of the things that drives coaches crazy with the selection committee is that they don't even look at or care about where you finished in your conference standings.

I don't like that either.

It only makes sense though, if your conference is down or you play in a weak conference and don't have any good non-conference wins then you're going to have a tough time getting in. Who have you played, who have you beat.

It only makes sense though, if your conference is down or you play in a weak conference and don't have any good non-conference wins then you're going to have a tough time getting in. Who have you played, who have you beat.
The part I don't like is when 2 teams have similar overall resumes, but they take the team that did more early in the season over the team that improved over the course of the year & finished higher in the conference standings.

I think it should at least be looked at.

The part I don't like is when 2 teams have similar overall resumes, but they take the team that did more early in the season over the team that improved over the course of the year & finished higher in the conference standings.

I think it should at least be looked at.

There's something to be said for the whole body of work though. Should a team be denied a bid when they struggled down the stretch yet have a solid resume overall? I don't think so. I also don't think teams should get extra credit just for getting hot down the stretch. In reality is it a factor? I think so, at the very least implicitly.

There's something to be said for the whole body of work though. Should a team be denied a bid when they struggled down the stretch yet have a solid resume overall? I don't think so. I also don't think teams should get extra credit just for getting hot down the stretch. In reality is it a factor? I think so, at the very least implicitly.
It's a balance. Body of work is definitely important. But I think that how a team is performing in Feb/Mar is more relevant to who should be in the national title tourney than how they performed in Nov/Dec. I don't give equal weight but I know the committee does.

Notre Dame is currently 2nd and 57 in Net. Crazy.

They have a decent record but aside from an early-season win over Kentucky there's not much there. They beat Miami on the road and UNC at home (not a quad I win) and that's it. They really need to win at Wake tomorrow since that's their last chance for a good win

It's a balance. Body of work is definitely important. But I think that how a team is performing in Feb/Mar is more relevant to who should be in the national title tourney than how they performed in Nov/Dec. I don't give equal weight but I know the committee does.

I thought the committe tended to favor teams that got hot late in the season but I have no evidence of this. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong

I thought the committe tended to favor teams that got hot late in the season but I have no evidence of this. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong
Only when you root for a team that has been underperforming down the stretch.

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 8.32.26 AM.png

Remaining schedule has some opportunity:

Feb 19 at #99 Stanford (Quad 2 game)
Feb 24 vs #119 Arizona State (Quad 3 game)
Feb 26 vs #2 Arizona (Quad 1 game)
Mar 05 at #125 Utah (Quad 2 game)

Biggest negatives on our resume are an awful non-conference SOS and a 3-8 record in Q1&2 games. We can't do anything about the former, but we can fix the latter in a significant way starting tonight.

P.S. You can find our team sheet HERE on the Warren Nolan site.

Since we need a ton of things to break right for us, we have to hope not to see certain upsets.

There are a lot of mediocre Power Conference teams that are ahead of us NET 40-85. We want them losing when they play teams that are locks.

For example, TCU (NET 56) is playing at Baylor (NET 6) right now. We need TCU to lose these types of games and also find a bad loss somewhere.

With the non-Power teams in that range, we just want to see losses in general. Although they're easier to jump even if we both take care of business, teams like SDSU (NET 42) and SMU (NET 49) could sneak in with a strong finish. We want them off the Bubble.

The Kansas cancellation was a killer. The only way onto the bubble is winning the last 4 games. Better to win the tournament than root for Baylor.

The Kansas cancellation was a killer. The only way onto the bubble is winning the last 4 games. Better to win the tournament than root for Baylor.
It hurt. Also really hurt to lose to S Illinois. Would have been much better for our resume (if not my mental health) to go 2-1 in the Paradise Jam with wins over S Illinois & Northeastern + a loss to CSU instead of 2-1 via beating Duquesne & Brown + a loss to S Illinois.

Our OOC SOS is soooooooo bad.

One thing that could help our resume a bit would be for Cal to make a small move. Currently NET 140. If they can get themselves back to NET 135 or better then our win there goes to Quad 2.

Need a miraculous finish. Somehow, some way, sweep the last three. Will have to play almost mistake free.

does going 2 of 3 with no loss to asu and a win against zona leave any non p12 tournament doors open?

Back