What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OFFICIAL: CU vs. Arizona Game Thread 10/19/24

Are you sure? I get that some coaches prefer that because if you can cover and many returns have holding/blocking penalties, you can pin the other team deep. But if that’s the case, I’d expect to see some more air time on the kicks. Many of them are too line-drive-y for my tastes.
This is what I’m told. We are on our backup/3rd string long kicker, so expecting high skill at executing the coffin kickoff is unreasonable IMO

This is what I’m told. We are on our backup/3rd string long kicker, so expecting high skill at executing the coffin kickoff is unreasonable IMO
Fair. I do appreciate that against KSU they were effective at keeping the kicks away from Dylan, so there is some method to the madness. And our coverage, outside of a complete bust against Baylor, has been pretty good.

Are you sure? I get that some coaches prefer that because if you can cover and many returns have holding/blocking penalties, you can pin the other team deep. But if that’s the case, I’d expect to see some more air time on the kicks. Many of them are too line-drive-y for my tastes.
Can see the logic to this.

I'll give up some drives starting at the 35-40 yard line in exchange of getting some inside the 10.

Start a team at the 20 or 25 and they will almost always get at least one or two 1st downs meaning even if you stop them you have a long field off the punt.

Start them inside the 10 and they are forced to go conservative. High probability of a 3 and out followed by a tight formation punt giving you the ball close mid-field or with a return shorter. One or two 1st downs and you are in FG range.

Can we talk about that last offensive sequence for the Buffs?

I was hoping that Charlie was going to get it in the end zone before they got to a spot where they could run out the clock by taking a knee. Then…Staub throws a fade into the end zone. I guess CP didn’t like that because he pulls Staub and sends in Wade to take a knee, even on 4th down, giving the ball back to Arizona. Weird sequence.

I did see CP talking to Brennan after the game and pointing at that end zone, I would assume explaining what happened and how he wasn’t trying to run up the score.

It’s tough because I’m generally a fan of letting the backups run the full playbook, and the mantra of, “if you don’t like it, then D up and stop it.”

Can we talk about that last offensive sequence for the Buffs?

I was hoping that Charlie was going to get it in the end zone before they got to a spot where they could run out the clock by taking a knee. Then…Staub throws a fade into the end zone. I guess CP didn’t like that because he pulls Staub and sends in Wade to take a knee, even on 4th down, giving the ball back to Arizona. Weird sequence.

I did see CP talking to Brennan after the game and pointing at that end zone, I would assume explaining what happened and how he wasn’t trying to run up the score.

It’s tough because I’m generally a fan of letting the backups run the full playbook, and the mantra of, “if you don’t like it, then D up and stop it.”
I think that’s appropriate if there is plenty of time remaining, but I think if you’re in a kneel down situation you just do that…. Unless it’s the Buffs playing CSU or Nebraska. Then you run that bitch up!

It might be Stoyanovich. He could progress from occasionally in the end zone to frequenting the end zone.

Either way, the improvement in kick coverage week to week after Baylor is so encouraging. Last year left real questions about the staff being able to make a team better as a season goes on. So far, the in season growth has been great for this team in a lot of areas.

I wonder if they take a look at Boomer, the KR for UCF that Redshirted. I think Stoyanovich can improve for later seasons, but he just needs to put on more weight and grow. If the Buffs kick coverage stays good, I'm not going to nitpick too much. This team is coming together.

I feel like Hayes may be in the dog house. Prime made a comment a couple weeks ago in reference to him that if you're hurt and don't practice during the week you don't get to play in the game. He hasn't played since then. He may be hurt, but I feel like if he was just hurt we'd be hearing more about it.

I think Hayes will work his way back, we just have a bunch of players playing good at the rush positions. Walker playing well. Wade played great--not sure if they play him to preserve a RS. Wiggens can be there too. We may see some sprinkling with eyes to next season as well. Okanlola and Green are as advertised. The inside guys are deep and playing good too.

I think that’s appropriate if there is plenty of time remaining, but I think if you’re in a kneel down situation you just do that…. Unless it’s the Buffs playing CSU or Nebraska. Then you run that bitch up!
Yeah seemed really weird to kneel when it wasn’t actually going to run out the clock m

Maybe, but I think we're just way worse without a commitment to running the ball.

Really need to see 10+ called runs in the first half vs. Cincy

We opened up the first three drives vs K-State with 7 carries for 11 yards.

Whether you stay committed to it is debatable. But I think our opponents' defense is dictating this - not our play calling - or our desire to run/not run the ball.

Every single return was terrifying. Arizona's return men were going verticle, and it felt like every return was one missed tackle away from taking it to the house.

Th

Whether you stay committed to it is debatable. But I think our opponents' defense is dictating this - not our play calling - or our desire to run/not run the ball.
Thats why this narrative that Shedeur is constantly changing calls at the LOS is bull****. They know they need to run the ball, but sometimes it’s just not there and it’s hard to take the ball out of Shedeur’s hands just to get a 1 yard carry.

Last edited:
Th

Thats why this narrative the Shedeur is constantly changing calls at the LOS is bull****. They know they need to run the ball, but sometimes it’s just not there and it’s hard to take the ball out of Shedeur’s hands just to get a 1 yard carry.

Exactly. It's easy to "stay committed" to the run when you are gaining chunks of 3, 5, 7 yards. When you are constantly putting your offense in third and long - not so easy. Especially when you have an elite quarterback with elite receivers.

WE’RE RUNNING THE BALL TOO MUCH!

This my impression - but I have never worn a strap-on.

Hayden - missing holes.

Augustave - hits first hole, but then initiates contact instead of trying to make the tackler miss. Then he is usually tackled.

Welch - has patience and vision and tries to make tacklers miss or not take direct contact.

I hope we can get Welch healthy.

Exactly. It's easy to "stay committed" to the run when you are gaining chunks of 3, 5, 7 yards. When you are constantly putting your offense in third and long - not so easy. Especially when you have an elite quarterback with elite receivers.

I would like to see fewer first down runs and more second down runs, even in second and long situations.

First 7 rushes by RBs vs Arizona went for 11 yards.

The 8th rush was an 8 yarder.

There were nearly identical early struggles to establish the run, this week they stuck with it.

Back