What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. CSU Game Thread

So the whole "if we lose, we're terrible, if we win, they're terrible" narrative is still alive and well.

Our defense showed yesterday, just like it showed in the second half against NDSU and in the second half against NU.

CSU's defense was the weakest we've seen so far, so it's not surprising that we looked better on offense.

CSU's not good. But the narrative on SM last night and this morning is they're the worst team in FBS. That's not even remotely true.
Exactly. They'd probably beat Florida State right now!

Grades for the game last night, after reflecting and re-watching it this morning:

Offense: I'm going to give them a solid "B." Shedeur's slow start (agian!) is the biggest ding, but once the passing game got going, I was pleased with this unit. Our WR's are outstanding and it feels like there is always someone open. I like that we are keeping the same core guys on the field in this unit; It seemed like last year there was a different random receiver stepping up each game, which was exciting and cool in a way, but I feel like this years approach will build more chemistry. It was so nice to see some competent play running the football, yet I still want a little more there. Welch was pretty impressive, and we'd be talking about Augustave more if it weren't for the unfortunate fumble. The thing that annoyed me most about trying to score on our last drive was that it took away game reps from the running game. There wasn't a lot of clock left, but it would have been great to see us grind it out and get 40 or so yards on the ground to close it out. I am dying to see us break off a big TD run. We were simply better than CSU's defense in every way... it will be telling to see if we stick with running it when there is more adversity, but I will take this. Really do think we could have easily had another td if not for some really questionable penalties and no-calls, but it is what it is.

Defense: This is an "A-" for me. They were outstanding throughout nearly the entirety of meaningful play. It never felt like CSU threatened to do anything great on offense, and it was such a relief to see them shut down the crossing route again and again after we struggled with it last year. The four turnovers were great to see. CSU did, however, pick up a number of fourth downs, particularly on their one long second half drive, and it would have been great to see them shut at least another one of those down. If I'm going to credit the offense with an extra td they "should have had", I think you could say that CSU probably should have had another TD, too. But, we created turnovers and never allowed them to get into a rhythm, and BFN was never able to get comfortable. We forced him to throw up a ton of really stupid, junk passes, and he paid for it; he also never did anything meaningful with his running. There's some dings for the fourth down struggles, and also giving up key plays to the wildcat, but most of the bad stuff occurred when the game felt totally under control. This unit feels really well coached and improved from last year. Hopefully we continue to get better, and while I don't think this will be a dominating defense, I think they're absolutely good enough to give our offense the margin of error they need to win some shootouts. I love how responsive and adaptive they've been as a unit. Livingston has made a great first impression.

Special Teams: "C-" here, I think. It's easy to overlook special teams in a win like this, but I have zero confidence in Mata in anything beyond like, 30 yards, and even then it's iffy. I will be numb and ready for disappointment if we have a game that comes down to him making a field goal, though I suppose he handled that situation against ASU last year... Running off Cole Becker was a terrible choice. There were some mistakes on both sides of the punt game as well. Vasset shanked a couple punts and I think Wester has very poor ball tracking skills in the return game. Perhaps he is instructed to let the punt be as good as possible so Shedeur has more field in front of him to pad his stats with?? (lol). Overall they didn't do anything majorly bad to directly harm us, but they did put us at risk in ways that could have been deeply frustrating if we were playing a good team.

Another tweet that sort of perfectly sums up CSU. It was honestly wild that Norvell took zero heat for going 3-9 in year 1 when he brought so many Nevada transfers with him. I get it’s year 1 and perhaps CSU was fine with a couple year rebuild, but still. Then last year was filled with red flags. The defense was abysmal despite having the MWC defensive player of the year, an additional 1st team all-MWC safety, a 2nd team all-MWC LB, and an honorable mention all-MWC safety. Combined with Horton, Holker, and a solid OL, CSU going 5-7 in year 2 was an abject failure. But he unexpectedly took CU to OT so he gets a pass!

They have a really manageable conference schedule complete with both bad teams and new coaches - and they get to avoid Boise State. But NOW is the time to fire up the hot seat because they deluded themselves into thinking that they not only could win, but should win against CU.
Norvell is no magician, maybe not better than an average coach but they didn't think that when they hired him away from a Nevada program that was struggling before he got there that he led to 4 bowl games.

Not in any way defending Norvell but when was the last time that the sheep weren't blaming the coach (or the AD who hired him?)

I remember back to a research methods class when the professor said that if you keep changing the value of the variable and the results don't change then it's a good chance that you are looking at the wrong variable.

Since Sonny Lubejob left they have had a little bit of success with Jim McElwain and lost some minor bowls with Mike Bobo but generally have been mediocre at best and commonly below that.

It's hard to believe that all those coaches were terrible. The obvious constant regardless of coach has been poor results. The other constants have been lousy attendance, poor funding, bad schedules, lack of interest from recruits, and more.

In short while Norvell may not be a great or even good coach it's hard to tell because the program itself is trying to be something it isn't which is a legitimate FBS level football program.

watching the youtube highlight video, it seems clear that on Travis's 2nd TD catch, Blackburn throws a forearm at his head, and connects. It wouldn't have affected the catch, so just a cheap shot

I just rewatched and I don't see it. Travis caught the ball above his head, with his arms stretched out. So any forearm would only hit his arm.

Tip you can use . to advance a frame in YouTube and , to move back

I just rewatched and I don't see it. Travis caught the ball above his head, with his arms stretched out. So any forearm would only hit his arm.

Tip you can use . to advance a frame in YouTube and , to move back

I would totally believe Blackburn would cheap shot any Buff - except Hunter.

I just don't see it.

Grades for the game last night, after reflecting and re-watching it this morning:

Offense: I'm going to give them a solid "B." Shedeur's slow start (agian!) is the biggest ding, but once the passing game got going, I was pleased with this unit. Our WR's are outstanding and it feels like there is always someone open. I like that we are keeping the same core guys on the field in this unit; It seemed like last year there was a different random receiver stepping up each game, which was exciting and cool in a way, but I feel like this years approach will build more chemistry. It was so nice to see some competent play running the football, yet I still want a little more there. Welch was pretty impressive, and we'd be talking about Augustave more if it weren't for the unfortunate fumble. The thing that annoyed me most about trying to score on our last drive was that it took away game reps from the running game. There wasn't a lot of clock left, but it would have been great to see us grind it out and get 40 or so yards on the ground to close it out. I am dying to see us break off a big TD run. We were simply better than CSU's defense in every way... it will be telling to see if we stick with running it when there is more adversity, but I will take this. Really do think we could have easily had another td if not for some really questionable penalties and no-calls, but it is what it is.

Defense: This is an "A-" for me. They were outstanding throughout nearly the entirety of meaningful play. It never felt like CSU threatened to do anything great on offense, and it was such a relief to see them shut down the crossing route again and again after we struggled with it last year. The four turnovers were great to see. CSU did, however, pick up a number of fourth downs, particularly on their one long second half drive, and it would have been great to see them shut at least another one of those down. If I'm going to credit the offense with an extra td they "should have had", I think you could say that CSU probably should have had another TD, too. But, we created turnovers and never allowed them to get into a rhythm, and BFN was never able to get comfortable. We forced him to throw up a ton of really stupid, junk passes, and he paid for it; he also never did anything meaningful with his running. There's some dings for the fourth down struggles, and also giving up key plays to the wildcat, but most of the bad stuff occurred when the game felt totally under control. This unit feels really well coached and improved from last year. Hopefully we continue to get better, and while I don't think this will be a dominating defense, I think they're absolutely good enough to give our offense the margin of error they need to win some shootouts. I love how responsive and adaptive they've been as a unit. Livingston has made a great first impression.

Special Teams: "C-" here, I think. It's easy to overlook special teams in a win like this, but I have zero confidence in Mata in anything beyond like, 30 yards, and even then it's iffy. I will be numb and ready for disappointment if we have a game that comes down to him making a field goal, though I suppose he handled that situation against ASU last year... Running off Cole Becker was a terrible choice. There were some mistakes on both sides of the punt game as well. Vasset shanked a couple punts and I think Wester has very poor ball tracking skills in the return game. Perhaps he is instructed to let the punt be as good as possible so Shedeur has more field in front of him to pad his stats with?? (lol). Overall they didn't do anything majorly bad to directly harm us, but they did put us at risk in ways that could have been deeply frustrating if we were playing a good team.
We’ve got to do something at punt return. Wester is a train wreck. Let one of the Millers do it. I think either Omarion or Drelon could shine there.

Starting to think that Jay Norvell is a lunatic. Who lets their skinny QB and their injured WR make a video that insults and calls out a favored opponent? As Coach Prime said in his presser "Who does that?"
I believe that video was filmed before the season started and just released this week. Norvell is kind of slimy though. He appears to condone the cheap shots.

Back