What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. CSU Game Thread

Umm…that’s how averages work. Are you going to go back and pull out the positive outliers from every football game to find a new metric called only mid or crappy run averages? It actually would be fairly simple to do but also worthless. Good luck.
I think you are missing the point. If you run for 17 yards on a 3rd and 21 and then punt. Yes the rushing average is better. Yes it was also somewhat meaningless yards as the defense was asking for you to run for 17 yards and punt. I had thought CU's rushing was skewed by 2 of those runs but looking back I could only find one. Hey, I didn't want to diminish what they did. I think the run game looked substantially better. I just didn't think it was "we are going to line up and run for 5 yards a carry whenever we want" great.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Norvell is no magician, maybe not better than an average coach but they didn't think that when they hired him away from a Nevada program that was struggling before he got there that he led to 4 bowl games.

Not in any way defending Norvell but when was the last time that the sheep weren't blaming the coach (or the AD who hired him?)

I remember back to a research methods class when the professor said that if you keep changing the value of the variable and the results don't change then it's a good chance that you are looking at the wrong variable.

Since Sonny Lubejob left they have had a little bit of success with Jim McElwain and lost some minor bowls with Mike Bobo but generally have been mediocre at best and commonly below that.

It's hard to believe that all those coaches were terrible. The obvious constant regardless of coach has been poor results. The other constants have been lousy attendance, poor funding, bad schedules, lack of interest from recruits, and more.

In short while Norvell may not be a great or even good coach it's hard to tell because the program itself is trying to be something it isn't which is a legitimate FBS level football program.
Agreed. Also I don't think you can really fault him for losing to us like that. Our defense is clearly significantly improved and we're running a future NFL QB with 4 legitimate weapons at WR in Hunter, Horn, Sheppard, and Wester. And it looks like we may actually have a running game finally.

I don't want to jinx it but it seems like the team is starting to come together and when we're not shooting ourselves in the foot a team at CSU's talent level doesn't have a shot.

Instead of Norvell getting slammed we should be getting credit for having a great defensive game plan and having insane weapons.

Grades for the game last night, after reflecting and re-watching it this morning:

Offense: I'm going to give them a solid "B." Shedeur's slow start (agian!) is the biggest ding, but once the passing game got going, I was pleased with this unit. Our WR's are outstanding and it feels like there is always someone open. I like that we are keeping the same core guys on the field in this unit; It seemed like last year there was a different random receiver stepping up each game, which was exciting and cool in a way, but I feel like this years approach will build more chemistry. It was so nice to see some competent play running the football, yet I still want a little more there. Welch was pretty impressive, and we'd be talking about Augustave more if it weren't for the unfortunate fumble. The thing that annoyed me most about trying to score on our last drive was that it took away game reps from the running game. There wasn't a lot of clock left, but it would have been great to see us grind it out and get 40 or so yards on the ground to close it out. I am dying to see us break off a big TD run. We were simply better than CSU's defense in every way... it will be telling to see if we stick with running it when there is more adversity, but I will take this. Really do think we could have easily had another td if not for some really questionable penalties and no-calls, but it is what it is.

Defense: This is an "A-" for me. They were outstanding throughout nearly the entirety of meaningful play. It never felt like CSU threatened to do anything great on offense, and it was such a relief to see them shut down the crossing route again and again after we struggled with it last year. The four turnovers were great to see. CSU did, however, pick up a number of fourth downs, particularly on their one long second half drive, and it would have been great to see them shut at least another one of those down. If I'm going to credit the offense with an extra td they "should have had", I think you could say that CSU probably should have had another TD, too. But, we created turnovers and never allowed them to get into a rhythm, and BFN was never able to get comfortable. We forced him to throw up a ton of really stupid, junk passes, and he paid for it; he also never did anything meaningful with his running. There's some dings for the fourth down struggles, and also giving up key plays to the wildcat, but most of the bad stuff occurred when the game felt totally under control. This unit feels really well coached and improved from last year. Hopefully we continue to get better, and while I don't think this will be a dominating defense, I think they're absolutely good enough to give our offense the margin of error they need to win some shootouts. I love how responsive and adaptive they've been as a unit. Livingston has made a great first impression.

Special Teams: "C-" here, I think. It's easy to overlook special teams in a win like this, but I have zero confidence in Mata in anything beyond like, 30 yards, and even then it's iffy. I will be numb and ready for disappointment if we have a game that comes down to him making a field goal, though I suppose he handled that situation against ASU last year... Running off Cole Becker was a terrible choice. There were some mistakes on both sides of the punt game as well. Vasset shanked a couple punts and I think Wester has very poor ball tracking skills in the return game. Perhaps he is instructed to let the punt be as good as possible so Shedeur has more field in front of him to pad his stats with?? (lol). Overall they didn't do anything majorly bad to directly harm us, but they did put us at risk in ways that could have been deeply frustrating if we were playing a good team.
I agreed with everything except for letting the punt be “as good as possible”.

Cmon bruh :rolleyes:

I would totally believe Blackburn would cheap shot any Buff - except Hunter.

I just don't see it.
Disagree completely. Cheap shots are how Blackburn plays, he isn't thinking about who is in the uniform he just takes the shots he can against opposing uniforms.

The specific play it's hard to tell but I have no question that Blackburn would take a shot against Hunter or anyone else given opportunity.

I think with the way CU’s talent has been built, that is with a ton of transfers last year and a ton more this year, the learning curve is much steeper than teams who have had their players in place for a couple of years.
Agreed. CU has a lot of talent on the lines this season, but they never played together until the NDSU game. I hate to say it, but the Fuskers have had their core lines together for a couple of seasons, and that was the difference in the game. I think the Buffs' lines will continue to improve as the season goes on.

I think you are missing the point. If you run for 17 yards on a 3rd and 21 and then punt. Yes the rushing average is better. Yes it was also somewhat meaningless yards as the defense was asking for you to run for 17 yards and punt. I had thought CU's rushing was skewed by 2 of those runs but looking back I could only find one. Hey, I didn't want to diminish what they did. I think the run game looked substantially better. I just didn't think it was "we are going to line up and run for 5 yards a carry whenever we want" great.
I don't know why this is controversial this is an efficiency measure in success rate, if you don't get 100% of the needed yardage it wasn't a successful play

Umm…that’s how averages work. Are you going to go back and pull out the positive outliers from every football game to find a new metric called only mid or crappy run averages? It actually would be fairly simple to do but also worthless. Good luck.
This is called success rate and it's widely measured

Next year's non-conference schedule is actually pretty ideal.
I agree. Spend a lot of time in the offseason preparing for GT's option offense, which we wont see again. It will be really important to be fundamentally sound to beat them. Then, with those fundamentals as a foundation, we have two games to tune up doing our more regular approach before getting into conference play.

I agree. Spend a lot of time in the offseason preparing for GT's option offense, which we wont see again. It will be really important to be fundamentally sound to beat them. Then, with those fundamentals as a foundation, we have two games to tune up doing our more regular approach before getting into conference play.

GT is not an option team anymore.

I had one guy give me **** on the way in for wearing CU stuff, but we both laughed it off. I saw no one arguing and even talking ****.

Their students got carried away with **** CU (people are saying you could hear it on TV?), our students chanted "it sucks to be a CSU Ram" - it's a rivalry, what do you want?

The only time there was a threat of an actual physical altercation, it was between dudes in their 50s, and there must have been something going on there beyond football.

I literally saw no one "taunting" anyone to the point where you would say anyone on either side were "awful ****ing fans". That's a massive bowl of sour grapes from sheepnation.

On our walk over to the Buff Bash a few students yelled **** at us but we just ignored them, that's about the worst I saw and I fully expected that from their students. Then got invited to a tailgate near the stadium that was mostly CSU fans and only got a little bit of good natured ribbing. Inside the stadium I didn't witness any bad behavior. Oddly enough there were a number of CSU fans in the CU section I was in.

Mentioned this earlier but I was pretty unimpressed with the stadium. It was pretty generic with no character. We were hanging outside on the north end of the stadium before and it was pretty crowded for those gates so we decided to just walk down toward the South end since that's where our seats were anyway. From there we had to walk all the way to the Southeast corner to find the next gate, that's ridiculous. There was a premium entrance on the west side but that was presumably only for suite ticketholders. In our section you couldn't see the scoreboard and that was the only scoreboard in the stadium other than the ribbon boards, which weren't easy to read and half the time were running ads. You couldn't hear a word the announcer was saying over the loudspeaker. And there was a bathroom right near our section that had 4 urinals and 1 stall.

Back