What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Nebraska Game Thread

My biggest concern when Prime was hired was the same as when Hawkins was hired. You immediately will get division on the team that favorites are being played, and with Prime, he doesn't even try to hide it. Any coach under Prime is walking on eggshells because of it too.

Put SS with a different head coach and the sky is the limit. He's that good. It a shame we wont get to see it, because right now SS just thinks he's that good, and he's not there yet.

My biggest concern when Prime was hired was the same as when Hawkins was hired. You immediately will get division on the team that favorites are being played, and with Prime, he doesn't even try to hide it. Any coach under Prime is walking on eggshells because of it too.

Put SS with a different head coach and the sky is the limit. He's that good. It a shame we wont get to see it, because right now SS just thinks he's that good, and he's not there yet.
Yep, and there is no one willing to hold him responsible or call him out for it because of what you said in paragraph one. The only one who can do that is Deion Sanders.

With all my crticism of Shedeur or Deion Sanders, none of it is personal. I understand what they're doing and I think they have good intentions, I just don't think it's working.

And part of it is on his father for enabling it. I thought it was treacherous when Sanders said "we'll get Shedeur what he needs" last season as it showed that for him it's all about Shedeur.
If our QB right now was Arch Manning and the Oline is trash like it was last year (and is now), CP would say "We'll get Arch what he needs".
CP has a lot of faults, a lot. Commenting that the QB needs to get protection isn't one of them. Where's the lie?
Brown at RT is so lost, he looks like the RT's last year (literally blocking the wrong guy allowing free access to drop our QB in 2 seconds before WR routes are set. Benson is a run blocker not pass protect. Shurmur is straight ass, always has been. CP's biggest two issues (imo) are:
1. Game management
2. Loyalty- this RB coach, LB coach and infatuation with Offerdahl and wanting him to be Rudy is ridiculous. Hayden is night and day better and those loyal coaches are trash 🗑 Oh, and Mata too, the list goes on. Definitely add Shurmur to the Loyalty list, man can't spell OC. But CP owns those hires and outcomes
I wanted CP to come here. I think it was Nik who replied "he's not coming here" and through some RG relationship magic, we brought in someone to energize the program. I'm over it. Almost all head coaches who are successful at a high level show immediate progress. CP made some positive changes, significant in year one, but it is clear his loyalty prevents him from elevating this program further. What's his buyout after year two? RG should go get the Boise State HC or Bill Obrien, they quickly built up winning programs and understand proper change management is essential.

Last edited:

That is one thing I feared the most which was a repeat of the Dan-Cody Hawkins nightmare and it looks like we are getting a re-run.

The best coach/recruiter we ever had was Bill McCartney. His worst year (1-11) was his third year. He finally had a winning record in his 4th.. But, I am not sure that is relevant in the portal era. If Prime stays, he has a couple more years in my book.

The best coach/recruiter we ever had was Bill McCartney. His worst year (1-11) was his third year. He finally had a winning record in his 4th.. But, I am not sure that is relevant in the portal era. If Prime stays, he has a couple more years in my book.
He ain’t stayin.

It's sad how this fanbase has refused to maintain expectations for Prime

And part of it is on his father for enabling it. I thought it was treacherous when Sanders said "we'll get Shedeur what he needs" last season as it showed that for him it's all about Shedeur.
Making the offense so Shedeur-centric isn’t doing Shedeur any favors as to his physical health nor possibly as to where he might go in the first round of the draft. While he certainly isn’t a “project”, he will have to get some great coaching in year one of his pro career to learn (and unlearn) some habits that would best have been dealt with in college if he’d been on a more complete P4/5 college team. At CU he isn’t asked to do the full slate of things that NFL QBs have to do routinely.

This is kinda true of many first year pro QBs, but it’s especially true of SS. I think he’ll have a very good pro career because of his desire, his accuracy, and his toughness, but a steep learning curve looks likely.

1725811949134.png
second week in a row no evidence the coaches prepared players by watching film.. and the openers for CU on offense were attrocious.. accross field lateral like pass plays.. terrible.. all the way thru first ten minutes and the disasterous choice of yet another across field pass play to inexperienced freshman receiver from the endzone with ball at 2 and hayden was right rb to use to run out of endzone to give them some room.. and so on.. and bad coaching continued on d too, with just like last week having far wide db's chase receivers across field when playing man, then when Nebraska wanted to run, it showed no film to stop again.. yes nebraska had better line play, but the difference between teams was not as great as outcome indicated due to some very poor coaching decisions and preparation and game management, some good play by players but coaching.. hmmm

Last edited:
They literally tried that on the 4th down in the second half. They had two TEs to the right and handed to Charlie for a 1 yard loss because Nebraskas LB came untouched through the B gap. The OL has no clue who to block and Benson isn’t quick enough or good enough to actually get to his blocks and maintain them.
To try to gain inches, they ran into the center of the defense from the shotgun with our smallest back. Not even a downhill hand off. Those extra blockers on the edge were not involved in the play, at all. If we had run to the side of an unbalanced line, maybe we find a crease or get some push. Though…

No doubt the interior of our line is scary bad (the whole line, probably). From that highlight they showed in the second series or so of our center getting a holding call after getting badly beaten across his face by a DT doing little more than slanting right… it was obvious we had a serious problem going forward—in many cases literally.

Part of reason Lewis demoted last year was a critique of Shedeur.
That pick 6 yest was all on him, not OL.
Yes, it is on 2, but also it is on who called the play.. probably on Shurmer.. who calls across field pass to either side as only viable options from 2 yard line on first down against zone with good corners. And why put #7 in game and not give him the ball to get a few yards and more room to breathe for 2?
1725813583397.png

Part of reason Lewis demoted last year was a critique of Shedeur.
That pick 6 yest was all on him, not OL.
First problem is Wester. He allowed 4 punts roll inside of the 5 yard line in the first 6 quarters this year (3 of them inside of the two). Wester is a terrible punt returner at this level, he positioned us at the 2 yard line then Shurmur said hold my beer

First problem is Wester. He allowed 4 punts roll inside of the 5 yard line in the first 6 quarters this year (3 of them inside of the two). Wester is a terrible punt returner at this level, he positioned us at the 2 yard line then Shurmur said hold my beer
Yeah, maybe he can't read things back there very well.

It seems like the time management struggles from last year carried over too. For those more football savvy then me, who is responsible for calling time outs? I'm especially looking at the end of the half when 10 seconds clicked off and finally CP called it.

Honestly, part of the problem is Shedeur. Not on talent, moxie or football IQ, but his stubbornness in terms of being unwilling to run the offense as designed and called by the OC. Last year, we barely saw the Lewis offense after TCU. This year, we almost blew NDSU because he wouldn't simply hand the ball off to close the game. It's a problem.
The TCU game was a masterclass, largely because so many quick throws and decisions were made.

It seems like SS is getting more enamored with extending every play in the hopes of making the huge play, and is just sort of greedy, for lack of a better term.

It shows in never checking to a run, it shows in never just stepping up and taking a 5 yard gain with your feet when the outside rush is coming, but there are lanes open ip the middle. Instead he bails out of the ball of the pocket.

It showed on the 3rd and 1 when he made a back shoulder throw to Sheppard 30 yards down the field. You have to do better than a 50/50 ball that requires a huge play by your WR on 3rd and 1.

A lot of this is not all on Shedeur, but if he takes the next step in becoming better it needs to be becoming better at being a game manager.

If our QB right now was Arch Manning and the Oline is trash like it was last year (and is now), CP would say "We'll get Arch what he needs".
CP has a lot of faults, a lot. Commenting that the QB needs to get protection isn't one of them. Where's the lie?
It's not that it's a lie, it's that, as CP himself admits, it's impossible to know when he's talking as a dad or a a coach.

The problem with conflicts of interest are not that the wrong decision always gets made, it's that in that gray area there will always be questions of whether there was an honest attempt to make the right decision.

This doesn't mean that Dad's can never coach their own kids, but it does change what they can and can't say without looking bad.

Yes, it is on 2, but also it is on who called the play.. probably on Shurmer.. who calls across field pass to either side as only viable options from 2 yard line on first down against zone with good corners. And why put #7 in game and not give him the ball to get a few yards and more room to breathe for 2?
View attachment 75642
Exactly. What were we hoping for? That #7 wouldn’t get picked up in man coverage?

The throw is on #2, that’s just a horrible play design, as that is the last place you want to throw the ball on your own goal line— especially to just a RB who hasn’t regularly been involved in the passing game (or running game, really).

Bring in some extra OL or TEs and run the dang ball to get a few yards. Big back, just needs a small crease to bang forward for a few at a time.

Never thought I’d be yearning for smash mouth football. But we were playing NUB in B1G. That’s what they do.

If Bentley doesn’t drop (or whatever that was) that INT, the Buffs D holds NUB to 14 points. That’s astounding on a night where everything went wrong.

Please please please… Shurmer… Watch the series where NUB put two TEs overloaded to one side and powered for long run after long run, right off tackle there.

You CANNOT build a running game off 5OL 4WR Shotgun sets. You HAVE to bring in extra blockers for both the run and the pass. At least mix up your formations!!

Sorry to be a broken record, but how did we go through nine months of planning and practicing for one run-and-shoot formation? I didn’t realize Shurmer was a Mouse Davis disciple: a coach and formation that barely ever even got to the playoffs for a decade with Barry Sanders.
We arent running the run and shoot. The run and shoot had the qb under center and rolled out the qb to both sides. Run and shoot teams could actually run the ball. Run and shoot teams also used a lot of motion so that the qb could read zone/man. Run and shoot qbs knew how to throw the ball on time and didnt pout when they had to check down. Whatever we are running is way more limited than the run and shoot.

The worst to me is how the Oline gets **** on even by Prime. Take some accountability please. It’s also (if not primarily) the offensive coaching that is the issue. I couldn’t stand Lewis’s gimmicky offense, but it was actually more dynamic than Shurmer’s. Pain in my heart. It’s also starting to look like it’s simply Prime’s offensive strategy. Like it wouldn’t matter who the OC was Prime’s offense is always going to look like this. Gives me the creeps. Doesn’t seem like the offense Prime would voluntarily run, but….

And who has been in Prime’s ear regarding OC hires?! That bird does not know football.
This is a tried ass argument. Hunter and sheduer are going to be first rd picks regardless of their stats. They could both sit out the rest of the year and be first rd picks. For sheduer winning actually makes him more appealing to the pros then gaudy numbers. Prime knows that. They may be making the wrong decisions but it certainly isn’t bc they want those two to put up big numbers.

We arent running the run and shoot. The run and shoot had the qb under center and rolled out the qb to both sides. Run and shoot teams could actually run the ball. Run and shoot teams also used a lot of motion so that the qb could read zone/man. Run and shoot qbs knew how to throw the ball on time and didnt pout when they had to check down. Whatever we are running is way more limited than the run and shoot.
This is the worst offense I've ever seen. So much talent being wasted.

This is a tried ass argument. Hunter and sheduer are going to be first rd picks regardless of their stats. They could both sit out the rest of the year and be first rd picks. For sheduer winning actually makes him more appealing to the pros then gaudy numbers. Prime knows that. They may be making the wrong decisions but it certainly isn’t bc they want those two to put up big numbers.
Some of these comments are so bad. You are 100% correct. Shedeur knows scouts care about what he does for winning instead of stats

Back