What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Michigan State/Mel Tucker Hate Thread

Not really. MSU always had the option to terminate his contract and pay him what was still owed. My point is: a finding by some university employee that Tugger violated university policies or title 9 will not determine how much MSU has to pay him.
I am not arguing whether or not he will be paid. With anyone.

I said they have the option to terminate for cause, hard stop.

Are you the type who would argue with a fence post?
Anybody else find the phrase "Nasser taint" weird?
It’s weird.

I am not arguing whether or not he will be paid. With anyone.

I said they have the option to terminate for cause, hard stop.

Are you the type who would argue with a fence post?

It’s weird.

Terminating for cause and not paying are the same thing.

When this much money is at stake, the final determination as to whether there was cause to terminate him will either be made by a court or agreed to by the parties. Neither MSU nor it's adjudicative officer will determine if Tugger breached his contract.

Terminating for cause and not paying are the same thing.

When this much money is at stake, the final determination as to whether there was cause to terminate him will either be made by a court or agreed to by the parties. Neither MSU nor it's adjudicative officer will determine if Tugger breached his contract.
And yet, that is precisely one thing that can happen.

It would be Tucker’s prerogative to file a civil suit. But MSU is not stuck sucking their thumb after the investigation. They have options.

I really don't think Tucker is going to walk away with a big check. The best he can hope for is a mutually agreed upon resignation rather than firing for cause which would kill any chances of him ever coaching at the college level again, even as an assistant.

Following the Nasser situation as well as the issues in the football and basketball programs before Mel got there she would have a very strong argument in a civil case that Michigan State still had not cleaned up an environment that put women at risk of this type of thing. If nothing else her attorneys could generate millions of dollars worth of negative publicity towards the school if it ever got to court regardless of the outcome.

At this point I am thinking that one logical and at least somewhat probable outcome of this ends with Mel signing on for a mutually agreed upon resignation giving up any and all claims to additional compensation. At the same time the Ms, Tracy agrees to a significant settlement from the university with the stipulation that she does not take further action against the university or against Tucker, either one of which would put the university on full display in a very negative light.

Tucker has put himself in a virtually indefensible position. The only leverage he has is that still reeling from Nasser and more the university has no interest in this thing dragging out any longer or becoming any more visible than it already is.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't already impacting donations. I can see the wives of major donors (or wealthy women themselves who are donors) saying that they are sick of this stuff going on and using their influence to cut of donations.

I can see women's advocacy groups and/or women themselves in positions of influence in corporate offices asking those corporations how they can make six and seven figure donations to a university "that continues to allow this to happen to women."
Thats a lot to read. Ill summarize.
1. He claims it was consensual
2. She denies it was consensual and filed a complaint
3. Someone is not telling the truth.
4. Tuckers reputation is in the toilet.

If he believes it was consensual he (and his lawyers) have $90 million reasons to take her/MSU to court. MSU probably doesnt want that to happen. So I think they would pay him (maybe both) tied to an NDA.

Just my 2 cents.

And yet, that is precisely one thing that can happen.

It would be Tucker’s prerogative to file a civil suit. But MSU is not stuck sucking their thumb after the investigation. They have options.

MSU is likely negligent somewhere in all this. They dont want that negligent party taking the stand. A settlement would seem to avoid that. Unless DOJ gets involved.

There is a lot of weird arguing about semantics here.

These are important points in this thread:

1. Mel is scum.
2. He was scum before this incident, as proven by the way he left this university.
3. This incident proves that he is scummier than we thought.
4. Mel is scum.
If memory serves Wasnt he promised a relaxation of admission standards that never appeared? Something that Karl was also pinched by? If so, I would have left too since the promise wasnt delievered.

I hear Prime required that restrictions be removed and Rick George likely has been arguing against them for years now as well.

But yeah. Scum.

Makes me wonder if she was a plant by MSU to get them out of the contract with that guy :LOL:...my belief in conspiracies is directly proportional to the amount of money involved. LOL

He's gonna get paid. Not the remainder of the contract, but a substantial amount. MSU won't want the reputational damage a trial would cause. Plus, they need Tugger to sign a non-disparagement agreement if they ever want to hire another FB coach who has other options.
It is going to come down to how much MSU is willing to pay to keep this out of a public courtroom.

Nobody knows until it goes to trial but my sense is that if MSU actually took it to court they could get a ruling that they have cause to terminate and pay nothing.

They don't want to do that though because that risks laying their entire operation open to the attention of Tucker's legal counsel, who will do everything in their power to make the university look bad. The cost in PR would be far more than a settlement, if his attorneys are reasonable as well. Whatever it is will be far, far short of $90 million.

Tucker though, fresh off receiving his settlement will then be facing Tracy suing him for damages, and her attorneys will have what they need to convince the jury he is slime and his money should be her money, while at the same time again making the university look like an out of control organization.

Tucker has already made a lot of money coaching, as in millions. For him a good result would be to be able to get out of this without criminal charges, without being legally labelled as a sexual predator (not the legal term but what the public would consider him if he were fired for cause,) and without risking the money he already has.

Keep in mind that if the university fires him for cause and pays him nothing he would still face the civil actions from Ms Tracy. He would have virtually every factor you can imagine going against him in a jury room.

I still wouldn't be surprised if they agree to a resignation and negotiate with Ms. Tracy for the university to pay her not to sue and for a three way non-disclosure agreement. Might walk away with a "token" couple of million but if it is even close to one years salary I would be surprised, he has dug himself that deep a hole.

So I think I read that he had been in contact with her about a presentation to the team.

Where's the AD?

It seems to me that this would be handled at the AD level, and be made available/required for other or all athletic teams.

Maybe I'm being naive, but this just seems weird.

Might walk away with a "token" couple of million but if it is even close to one years salary I would be surprised, he has dug himself that deep a hole.

It will be a lot more than that. $7 million is a 90% discount from what he's owed under the contract.

You overestimate MSU's case and leverage. Just read through this thread if you want to see how easy it would be for a jury to be impaneled that could absolutely be convinced that Tugger was the victim. Nobody is going to risk $70+ million on that case if it can be settled for $10-20 million. Add in the other problems for MSU's reputation already noted, along with the problems an unbound Tugger can cause within the coaching ranks and MSU's leverage looks sort of weak.

It will be a lot more than that. $7 million is a 90% discount from what he's owed under the contract.

You overestimate MSU's case and leverage. Just read through this thread if you want to see how easy it would be for a jury to be impaneled that could absolutely be convinced that Tugger was the victim. Nobody is going to risk $70+ million on that case if it can be settled for $10-20 million. Add in the other problems for MSU's reputation already noted, along with the problems an unbound Tugger can cause within the coaching ranks and MSU's leverage looks sort of weak.
I don't know.

If Tugger had checked with a competent attorney before opening his mouth (or his keyboard) and admitting that the interaction took place he would have a much stronger argument.

Also don't forget that the Klan mentality is alive and well in Michigan. Wealthy Black man (married) white woman (prior victim) and he's not winning a lot of games as a coach. I would be very hesitant to put his fate in front of a jury.

It wouldn't surprise me if MSU ends up paying $7-12 million but either way that money almost assuredly ends up with Ms. Tracy, not Mel.

And any problems he could cause within the coaching ranks immediately go away when prospective coaches are looking at a school that is willing to spend $10 million a year on a coaching staff and a B1G job.

I don't know.

If Tugger had checked with a competent attorney before opening his mouth (or his keyboard) and admitting that the interaction took place he would have a much stronger argument.

Also don't forget that the Klan mentality is alive and well in Michigan. Wealthy Black man (married) white woman (prior victim) and he's not winning a lot of games as a coach. I would be very hesitant to put his fate in front of a jury.

It wouldn't surprise me if MSU ends up paying $7-12 million but either way that money almost assuredly ends up with Ms. Tracy, not Mel.

And any problems he could cause within the coaching ranks immediately go away when prospective coaches are looking at a school that is willing to spend $10 million a year on a coaching staff and a B1G job.

I don't think you're thinking this through. A sexual harassment complaint based on phone sex has very limited jury appeal.

I don't think you're thinking this through. A sexual harassment complaint based on phone sex has very limited jury appeal.
Considering who is involved I would bet much more than you think.

Bottom line though is that nobody wants it to go to a jury. They will negotiate, I just don't think Tucker has a very strong position to negotiate from. The school is in a bad position as well but they have the money. Ms. Tracy is the wild card and considering the damage she could do to the school and Tugger I think she is the eventual winner all this at least financially.

More than that, as I understand it: after the event, didn’t MT have her appearances at the school cancelled going forward? That’s the classic SH boomerang. His wounded pride ends up hurting her connection to the school.

Maybe I misread the little bit I reviewed. I admit to being less than moderately interested in MT’s ongoing stupidity.

MSU will pay sizable settlements and then pay a new HC what Tugger was making. It's a net loss for them, but I guess it will give fans hope that someone else will generate better results.

If I was the Sparty AD, I'd probably hire Pat Narduzzi. Yes, he's a guy that Coach Prime is keeping receipts on. But he's also the architect of the defenses that resulted in much of D'Antonio's success and he's done a hell of a job at Pitt. Still in his 50s and contractually obtainable for them to make an offer he can't refuse.

If I was the Sparty AD, I'd probably hire Pat Narduzzi. Yes, he's a guy that Coach Prime is keeping receipts on. But he's also the architect of the defenses that resulted in much of D'Antonio's success and he's done a hell of a job at Pitt. Still in his 50s and contractually obtainable for them to make an offer he can't refuse.
I was also thinking Paul Chryst is a guy who they could probably get right now and not have to wait until the season ends. Currently an analyst at Texas.

Important Legal question.

If MSU tried to take any of our coaching staff to replace Tucker, say lewis or even prime, can the state of Colorado legally declare war against the state of Michigan and bomb them with the national guard?
I believe that contingency is covered by the constitution of Colorado. Our forefathers were truly forward looking.

I believe that contingency is covered by the constitution of Colorado. Our forefathers were truly forward looking.

We already beat up Tejas. Currently undefeated in interstate wars. Pretty sure Wyo and NM would bend the knee without a fight. We’d have trouble with Utah. Crazy ****s over there.

Important Legal question.

If MSU tried to take any of our coaching staff to replace Tucker, say lewis or even prime, can the state of Colorado legally declare war against the state of Michigan and bomb them with the national guard?

Ohio beat them for Toledo.

Though one could argue that Michigan was the victor there.

Last edited:
Ohio beat them for Toledo.

Though one could argue that Michigan was the victor though.
And Michigan got the entire Upper Peninsula in exchange for not going to war over the Toledo Strip IIRC. Yeah ... Michigan got the better of the deal.

And Michigan got the entire Upper Peninsula in exchange for not going to war over the Toledo Strip IIRC. Yeah ... Michigan got the better of the deal.

You are correct. Which means that really, Wisconsin and/or Minnesota got ****ed in the deal, lol.

Back