What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Phillip Lindsay Really is the first undrafted rookie in the ProBowl Thread

Wow...watching again #10 (Sanders) barely gets the block before Lindsay receives the ball.
guess they're being picky.

in the stadium nobody saw it at all and everybdoy was confused.
Yeah Sanders is engaged with the DB right as Keenum is letting the ball go. Letter of the law, it's a penalty, but ones that are that close need to be allowed. That game was really frustrating from a penalty standpoint. Hopefully, it's just a product of preseason and the NFL telling the officials to call anything and everything that might be borderline and they'll review and adjust before the regular season.

The play is designed to be a screen pass, which is technically a long hand off. In that scenario, the receivers can block downfield before the catch.

Keenum threw it 1-2 yards forward instead of behind his point on the field. Now it is offensive pass interference.

The play is designed to be a screen pass, which is technically a long hand off. In that scenario, the receivers can block downfield before the catch.

Keenum threw it 1-2 yards forward instead of behind his point on the field. Now it is offensive pass interference.

Video doesn't open for me... was the pass received behind the LOS? If so, there shouldn't have been PI
The behind the LOS PI rule applies only to the receiver himself, not other players on the field. Basically, had a Bears defender destroyed Lindsay prior to the pass getting to him, there would be no PI. The actual WRs still can't block down field before the ball is thrown. This was a very borderline call, but it was technically the right one.

Wow...watching again #10 (Sanders) barely gets the block before Lindsay receives the ball.
guess they're being picky.

in the stadium nobody saw it at all and everybdoy was confused.
The behind the LOS PI rule applies only to the receiver himself, not other players on the field. Basically, had a Bears defender destroyed Lindsay prior to the pass getting to him, there would be no PI. The actual WRs still can't block down field before the ball is thrown. This was a very borderline call, but it was technically the right one.

It looked like a pre-season call. Last year in pre-season they were being very picky about pick plays as well but once the season started they backed off. Probably will do the same this year.

There are some serious questions surrounding Booker's ability as a runner and pass catcher, as well as Freeman's abilities in Pass Pro. We know Lindsay is the best pass catcher, we know he's a stud in pass pro, and we know he can run the ball inside and outside (durability due to size might be a question, thus limiting his volume capabilities). Could our guy be the Broncos most complete RB on the roster?

I see the RB competition IN MY MIND as follows right now:

1) Royce Freeman
2) Lindsay
3) Booker

Booker is good, but he lacks dynamic and can't get through any defenders. He's more of a change of pace back, and he can't catch
out of the backfield very well.

I think Freeman is 1 because of his size and durability. Lindsay will get ample time, but probably not be the #1 guy.

Dude plays like a madman. Was at the game Saturday and every time he touched the ball something good happened.

Two competitions in one-We've got the "bellcow" and the third down/change of pace back. I see the bellcow as between Freeman and Booker mainly, but I think Phil is a factor there just because of how violent a runner he is and how good he is in pass pro. As far as 3rd down/change of pace back, he's clearly the leader in the clubhouse there. DeAngelo Henderson is another guy who may not make this team-has he played at all in the first two games?

Back to talking about PL, I can really see him ending up being the #2/change of pace back. I think that Freeman is likely to end up the starter. The more I watch Booker play, the more surprised I am he is still on this team. He is an athlete, but he has horrible vision for a running back (Its like watching a blind man try to find the hole), he can't seem to break tackles and he isn't great at catching passes out of the backfield.....Freeman seems slow, but he has good vision, breaks tackles and has that nose for the goal line. Phil's speed, quick cuts and ability to catch passes out of the backfield are the perfect balance to Freeman.

Back to talking about PL, I can really see him ending up being the #2/change of pace back. I think that Freeman is likely to end up the starter. The more I watch Booker play, the more surprised I am he is still on this team. He is an athlete, but he has horrible vision for a running back (Its like watching a blind man try to find the hole), he can't seem to break tackles and he isn't great at catching passes out of the backfield.....Freeman seems slow, but he has good vision, breaks tackles and has that nose for the goal line. Phil's speed, quick cuts and ability to catch passes out of the backfield are the perfect balance to Freeman.
Freeman was a 4.5 guy at the combine and I think his TD run against Minn in the first preseason game shows that he has some speed once in the open field. He doesn't look as "sudden" as Phil, though, which is part of the reason that when PL touches the ball, I feel like he's a threat to take it the distance. He ran an unofficial 4.3 at CU's pro day and I legitimately feel like that has translated very well to football speed so far in preseason.

Freeman doesn't make spectacular moves but he does make a lot of subtle adjustments as he runs that allow him to avoid solid tackles and add yardage to a play as well as the potential for a big gain. This usually involves altering his path a little bit to one side or the other to open space.

Freeman is also a big enough guy to take a lot of contact when needed and his durability was shown with a large number of carries in college without missing significant time due to injury.. He looks to me like a guy who isn't a great back but who can be a solid workhorse in Denver's system.

Phil is tougher than people expect for his size and has big play potential as a runner and as a receiver. He will get you what the play is supposed to but is always a couple steps away from a big gain.

It is looking more and more like Booker will be on the team and getting carries and I don't know why. What he gives you can be replaced by a bunch of guys who will be on waivers. He never gets you more than the play was designed to get you, he is no threat to break one. He is a non-factor.

Freeman doesn't make spectacular moves but he does make a lot of subtle adjustments as he runs that allow him to avoid solid tackles and add yardage to a play as well as the potential for a big gain. This usually involves altering his path a little bit to one side or the other to open space.

Freeman is also a big enough guy to take a lot of contact when needed and his durability was shown with a large number of carries in college without missing significant time due to injury.. He looks to me like a guy who isn't a great back but who can be a solid workhorse in Denver's system.

Phil is tougher than people expect for his size and has big play potential as a runner and as a receiver. He will get you what the play is supposed to but is always a couple steps away from a big gain.

It is looking more and more like Booker will be on the team and getting carries and I don't know why. What he gives you can be replaced by a bunch of guys who will be on waivers. He never gets you more than the play was designed to get you, he is no threat to break one. He is a non-factor.
You could replace Freeman with CJ Anderson and say the exact same thing.

You could replace Freeman with CJ Anderson and say the exact same thing.

We will see.

When CJ was healthy he was an above average back, not elite but a guy you could win games with. Part of CJ's issue was his trouble staying healthy.

I don't see anything from Freeman that makes him special but I see a guy who can be steady, dependable, and give you something extra often enough to be a threat. Combine that with some durability and you have a quality addition to an offense. That is a step up from a Booker.

He still has to prove it in real games but so far I like what I see from Freeman

I stand corrected. I conflated the "illegal receiver downfield" and OPI rules.

Seems that the Broncos org has spent a lot of draft picks, many high, on RBs. Almost an inverse relationship between draft status and production, it seems.

273 Career carries has one carry for over 18 yards (a 26 yard attempt,) and five for over 12 yards. He is a plugger, he runs the plays and sticks his nose in but rarely ever gives you more than the blocking generates.
This is pretty much my take on the guy as well. The only problem is I don't think he really has much trade value, so they don't have a lot of options to move him unless the injury bug hits someone hard at rb this preseason.

Booker is a convenient punching bag.

Maybe. But I’m a massive Broncos fan and too many times have I seen him go backward on 3rd down or in the red zone. He creates NOTHING, he just falls down at contact and somehow always seems to be going the wrong way.

Seems that the Broncos org has spent a lot of draft picks, many high, on RBs. Almost an inverse relationship between draft status and production, it seems.
In Elways 8 drafts, I believe Monte Ball was the highest as a 2nd rounder, then Hillman and Freeman as 3rd rounders, Booker 4th, Henderson 6th, David Williams 7th and CJ Anderson and PL as UDFA. Pretty spotty track record but yes, so far the its been more inverse. Freeman can turn that around

Booker is meh. Keep him around so you’ve got a third body, but Freeman and Lindsay should be ahead of him. We know Elway is generally stubborn about his higher draft picks, but it’s pretty obvious Freeman and Lindsay are quite a bit better than Booker.

This is pretty much my take on the guy as well. The only problem is I don't think he really has much trade value, so they don't have a lot of options to move him unless the injury bug hits someone hard at rb this preseason.

You're gonna need 4-5 RBs to get through the season, so my guess is Booker gets kept on that account, and David Williams winds up on the practice squad. I think DeAngelo Henderson probably gets cut if anyone.

Was never a BIG Bronco fan, but becoming one now. Way to go Lindsay!! Like they said : "You have earned it" nothing given. Versatility these days is underrated.

Back