What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Makes sense to me. I would have gone one step further with SMU and Oklahoma state but that would be a good start. Probably why GK put out that cryptic tweet in reference to that old book on getting everyone to agree.

luckily there is still time between now and 2025
Houston + TCU would be great for a Pac-14 in 2025.

Houston + TCU would be great for a Pac-14 in 2025.
Yup, add two more and we are in business. Hopefully SMU can keep improving their program like they have the last 5 years because having two P5 schools in Dallas would be awesome. The 4th team is where it gets tricky, maybe we just say **** it and add BYU!

Yup, add two more and we are in business. Hopefully SMU can keep improving their program like they have the last 5 years because having two P5 schools in Dallas would be awesome. The 4th team is where it gets tricky, maybe we just say **** it and add BYU!
We won't double down on the Dallas market.

I don't think we'll want to further expand the basic footprint East.

My guess: there won't be a Pac-16 because there aren't any other teams/markets that are valuable enough to make existing members more money by splitting the pie 16 ways instead of 14. The only idea I've had that could change that would be if 16 became a magic number for the conference to have a football playoff to name its champ. If it allowed a 4-team playoff, the media rights value of 2 semi-final games would justify expansion financially. And if that was the future, I think the conference would look at shoring up the western media market footprint. Just based on filling the map with state flagships as I play out this hypothetical, it could even be the Universities of Nevada and New Mexico some time in the 2030s ahead of the next media contract.

We won't double down on the Dallas market.

I don't think we'll want to further expand the basic footprint East.

My guess: there won't be a Pac-16 because there aren't any other teams/markets that are valuable enough to make existing members more money by splitting the pie 16 ways instead of 14. The only idea I've had that could change that would be if 16 became a magic number for the conference to have a football playoff to name its champ. If it allowed a 4-team playoff, the media rights value of 2 semi-final games would justify expansion financially. And if that was the future, I think the conference would look at shoring up the western media market footprint. Just based on filling the map with state flagships as I play out this hypothetical, it could even be the Universities of Nevada and New Mexico some time in the 2030s ahead of the next media contract.
If you can have two teams in LA and the Bay Area you can definitely have two in Dallas. If there was another team in houston I would say double down there too but unfortunately there isn’t so you have to pick the fourth team.

4 teams at 16 would be great, of course this all might be pointless when it goes to more of a 30 team nfl like conference within 10 years.

They will when they start paying them.
Yeah. Don't see a non-Mormon taking BYU's deal over my school's after sending him the Brandon Davies suspension story. He missed out on the Dance for the honor code violation of having sex with his girlfriend.

So does that report from 247 essentially mean that fox and espn told the pac 12 that houston and TCU would bring in revenue or was it more of a long term play by the conference? I also don’t think houston brings in nearly the same value to the big 12 than the they do the pac 12

So does that report from 247 essentially mean that fox and espn told the pac 12 that houston and TCU would bring in revenue or was it more of a long term play by the conference? I also don’t think houston brings in nearly the same value to the big 12 than the they do the pac 12
Sounded totally based on Media Markets, and thus the PAC12 should invite UNLV or Nevada to wrap up Vegas, to go with Dallas, Houston, and probably Oklahoma City (OSU) or Kansas City (Kansas)

A big part of Houston's value is that with 12 teams, they can put 4 TX teams and an OK team in 1 division - ensuring that those TX-OK teams stay local for 2 road games in addition to their 7 home games.

A big part of Houston's value is that with 12 teams, they can put 4 TX teams and an OK team in 1 division - ensuring that those TX-OK teams stay local for 2 road games in addition to their 7 home games.
Yeah that’s good for them but not for generating revenue with a conference that already has two texas teams.

Sounded totally based on Media Markets, and thus the PAC12 should invite UNLV or Nevada to wrap up Vegas, to go with Dallas, Houston, and probably Oklahoma City (OSU) or Kansas City (Kansas)
In that scenario, I could more see KU than OSU due to it making more sense as a CU travel partner & being an academic peer.

I agree with adding NV as a state. Good arguments for either UNR /UNLV and I'm not sure which one I'd favor.

If you can have two teams in LA and the Bay Area you can definitely have two in Dallas. If there was another team in houston I would say double down there too but unfortunately there isn’t so you have to pick the fourth team.

4 teams at 16 would be great, of course this all might be pointless when it goes to more of a 30 team nfl like conference within 10 years.
Rice is in Houston. Just sayin.

Rice + Houston & TCU + SMU are vastly different from USC + UCLA & Stanford + Cal.

The latter own LA and SF.

The former are behind UT in their home metros with aTm being ahead of the locals in H-Town and TTU having more alums than those local private schools in the DFW metro (with OU drawing nearly aTm levels of interest there, too).

In short, the SEC has dominant positions in those metros with UT, aTm and OU. The P12 can grab a share and stake a claim that can grow by picking the local best to prop up. Taking more than that is dilutive, not additive.

Rice + Houston & TCU + SMU are vastly different from USC + UCLA & Stanford + Cal.

The latter own LA and SF.

The former are behind UT in their home metros with aTm being ahead of the locals in H-Town and TTU having more alums than those local private schools in the DFW metro (with OU drawing nearly aTm levels of interest there, too).

In short, the SEC has dominant positions in those metros with UT, aTm and OU. The P12 can grab a share and stake a claim that can grow by picking the local best to prop up. Taking more than that is dilutive, not additive.
I just disagree with the dilutive part when you are going with a long term growth strategy. Having two in the Dallas metro, which is constantly growing like crazy is probably a good move. I also think there is a segment of Dallas that aligns more with west coast cities than sec cities and towns which the pac could start to carve out over time, especially the area around SMU.

the good thing about texas is that they enjoy watching all kinds of football so just because they have allegiances doesn’t mean they won’t watch and root for other teams, especially when they aren’t competing for conference titles against them.

16 million devoted followers with money. In the NIL era. BYU will be a very good football team in the near future
16 million is the worldwide total. It’s more like 6.5 million in the US. I doubt that much of the non-US LDS population is interested in American Football, and they certainly don’t count for revenue from the TV advertising market, thus not relevant for conference expansion. Plus 2.4 million of the 6.5 is in Utah and Idaho, which I think is already considered the BYU market. There’s also 200,000 or so in Canada. While they might watch American Football, I don’t think that Canadian eyeballs count for anything much as far as conference TV contract revenue is concerned. Also, stats I have seen indicate that about 10 percent of LDS students that go to college go to BYU, thus 90 percent go to some other school, and a large percentage of them are going to primarily watch their alma mater. So I think that the number of national eyeballs that BYU delivers is much less than the 16 million number would suggest.

16 million is the worldwide total. It’s more like 6.5 million in the US. I doubt that much of the non-US LDS population is interested in American Football, and they certainly don’t count for revenue from the TV advertising market, thus not relevant for conference expansion. Plus 2.4 million of the 6.5 is in Utah and Idaho, which I think is already considered the BYU market. There’s also 200,000 or so in Canada. While they might watch American Football, I don’t think that Canadian eyeballs count for anything much as far as conference TV contract revenue is concerned. Also, stats I have seen indicate that about 10 percent of LDS students that go to college go to BYU, thus 90 percent go to some other school, and a large percentage of them are going to primarily watch their alma mater. So I think that the number of national eyeballs that BYU delivers is much less than the 16 million number would suggest.
Appreciate your well thought out response. I simply believe that the Mormons will support their team and their players at levels that even non LDS players will be motivated to go there.
Remember there are a BUNCH of LDS business people and BYU alums who have been EXTREMELY successful.
I believe that BYU players will be able to cash in at USC and UO levels.

Appreciate your well thought out response. I simply believe that the Mormons will support their team and their players at levels that even non LDS players will be motivated to go there.
Remember there are a BUNCH of LDS business people and BYU alums who have been EXTREMELY successful.
I believe that BYU players will be able to cash in at USC and UO levels.
I hadn't considered that, but, yeah. You could be very right.

Colorado State: One of the best new stadiums in the country. The football program is struggling, and CSU doesn't exactly deliver the Denver market.
Article says that some Pac12 schools might be interested in joining the Big12 depending on the Pac12s new TV deal

Colorado State: One of the best new stadiums in the country. The football program is struggling, and CSU doesn't exactly deliver the Denver market.

What??
Big 12 executives are also watching closely as the Pac-12 negotiates a new TV deal in 2024 when its current agreement with Fox and ESPN expires. If the Pac-12 media rights revenue approximates that of the Big 12 at that time, there is a feeling within the Big 12 some Pac-12 schools might be interested in joining.

Yeah, they're right.

I don't think it will play out that way, but they're right.

If the P12 gets a contract at, say $35MM/yr/school, and the B12's is sitting at $32MM/yr/school, some P12 schools might say "well, if we join the B12, we get our 3rd tier rights back, and they're worth more than $3MM/yr - and we might even be able to trigger a renegotiation of the B12 contract so that it actually exceeds $35MM/yr/school."

My guess is that the P12's new contract will dwarf what the B12 minus OU and UT can manage such that the entire notion would be absurd. But if it is in the ballpark? Watch out.

Yeah, they're right.

I don't think it will play out that way, but they're right.

If the P12 gets a contract at, say $35MM/yr/school, and the B12's is sitting at $32MM/yr/school, some P12 schools might say "well, if we join the B12, we get our 3rd tier rights back, and they're worth more than $3MM/yr - and we might even be able to trigger a renegotiation of the B12 contract so that it actually exceeds $35MM/yr/school."

My guess is that the P12's new contract will dwarf what the B12 minus OU and UT can manage such that the entire notion would be absurd. But if it is in the ballpark? Watch out.
The chances of the new big 12 getting 32 million and the pac 12 only getting 35 is about 0.01%

Back