What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

i am sure that the leftover 8 didn't think that the treacherous 2 would do them like that, but texassss has a long history of ****ing over their conference companions.

that said, are the original p8 members really going to **** over the others? usc and ucla in particular are not as full out mercenary as ou and texassss or the sec.

if usc/ucla/washington/oregon do bail to the big 10, the leftover 16 (the left behind in the pac and the b12) would comprise a fairly unsatisfying new conference. it would kinda suck, actually.

difficult to find information that quantifies brand ranking, but here's two sources that seemed relevant:
WSJ - 2019 "college football value rankings"
247 - 2020 "college football's 15 most valuable programs" -- doesn't list any Pac12 schools

WSJ lists the Pac:
  1. Washington
  2. Oregon
  3. USC
  4. UCLA
  5. ASU
  6. Stanford
  7. Utah
  8. Colorado
  9. Cal
  10. Arizona
WSJ is not where one should go for sports information

Jettisoning UA and ASU only makes sense in that they’re a bunch of insufferable douchebags. But USC has them beat on that score anyway, Arizona is as important if not more so than Colorado.

what Colorado brings to the table, outside of what has been mentioned, is a geographical link between the B1G territory and the PAC territory. We are right in the middle. I’m not sure that really means anything anymore, but it might.
Honestly the only thing that Colorado can sell is that we are a really cool hip state with young healthy people who love dogs and the outdoors.

I hope the BIG sees value in that

Honestly the only thing that Colorado can sell is that we are a really cool hip state with young healthy people who love dogs and the outdoors.

I hope the BIG sees value in that
and AAU membership. and tier 1 elite research university status.

and a national championship in football.

and the mountain time zone, with a growing population.

i am also very worried about our prospects but we do offer things beyond those you suggest. things that are valued by university presidents.

and AAU membership. and tier 1 elite research university status.

and a national championship in football.

and the mountain time zone, with a growing population.

i am also very worried about our prospects but we do offer things beyond those you suggest. things that are valued by university presidents.
I hope you are right. I’m nervous that it isn’t enough based on the last 15 years

It would be better than the MWC
it might actually get an okay tv contract too. it wouldn't be enough to compete against the big 10 and sec, and you also have to assume the acc is going to pull some teams too, but it would get a do-able contract. there are a lot of time slots to fill.

we need some wiser heads to prevail here and not **** over the entire landscape of college football. a part of what makes it great is that a dog-**** 6 win Colorado team can upset a #1 okie team. that **** happened. if you take all the currently top programs and put them together, it stops feeling like college football.

it might actually get an okay tv contract too. it wouldn't be enough to compete against the big 10 and sec, and you also have to assume the acc is going to pull some teams too, but it would get a do-able contract. there are a lot of time slots to fill.

we need some wiser heads to prevail here and not **** over the entire landscape of college football. a part of what makes it great is that a dog-**** 6 win Colorado team can upset a #1 okie team. that **** happened. if you take all the currently top programs and put them together, it stops feeling like college football.
I feel like college football is gone already

I am confused at why everyone is so worried. CU is not competing against the SEC for national championships. if the PAC 12 dissolves, CU is not competing with the SEC for national championships. If the PAC 12 expands to add Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Norte Dame, CU is not competing with the SEC for national championships.

I am confused at why everyone is so worried. CU is not competing against the SEC for national championships. if the PAC 12 dissolves, CU is not competing with the SEC for national championships. If the PAC 12 expands to add Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Norte Dame, CU is not competing with the SEC for national championships.
i think it is a more existential question for college football than that. what does a national championship mean if you have, i dunno, 50-60 major programs excluded from a group of 32 that has 3x their revenue or something.

that's a big part of why i have suggested that the pac and big 10 totally merge, go to 32 teams and NOT schedule any sec or acc teams, at all, let alone in something called a playoff.

if you handled it this way, the sec would be what it has always been-- a regional conference that draws a lot of eyeballs because there aren't a lot of other entertainment options and because they know no limits to what they will do to be successful.

there is a reason that the atlanta braves are beloved across the south. for years and years, they were the only MLB team in the region.

just wall the sec ****ers off (and the acc if necessary) and let's honor what college football has always been about rather than turn the whole thing into a ratings driven official farm system.

i think it is a more existential question for college football than that. what does a national championship mean if you have, i dunno, 50-60 major programs excluded from a group of 32 that has 3x their revenue or something.

that's a big part of why i have suggested that the pac and big 10 totally merge, go to 32 teams and NOT schedule any sec or acc teams, at all, let alone in something called a playoff.

if you handled it this way, the sec would be what it has always been-- a regional conference that draws a lot of eyeballs because there aren't a lot of other entertainment options and because they know no limits to what they will do to be successful.

there is a reason that the atlanta braves are beloved across the south. for years and years, they were the only MLB team in the region.

just wall the sec ****ers off (and the acc if necessary) and let's honor what college football has always been about rather than turn the whole thing into a ratings driven official farm system.
I agree with that. Western schools are in a unique position in many ways. Doubt there enough creative thinkers to attempt a regional power move and formation of a western league, but it could be done.

WSJ is not where one should go for sports information
Agree. But when it comes to distilling financial information for purposes of valuing assets -- that seems right in their wheelhouse.

All you need to know about the WSJ list is they also have Arkansas, Michigan State, Iowa and South Carolina ahead of USC. Laughable.

USC is easily the biggest brand name in the Pac12, don't overthink this.
Well, looking at AD revenue, profit, attendance and TV ratings over the last ten years (or, by all means, take a one year, two year or five year slice of the numbers) it appears those schools beat USC in most of those categories. What metrics are you considering such that you seem this "laughable"?

If you were a big 12 member, would you let UT or Ou out of the gor early? I sure wouldn't. First, it kills your tv deal. Second, **** them.
The only argument for the contrary that I can think of is not wanting your GoR challenged in court for fear it may be ruled completely invalid. But that argument doesn't make sense for the XII leftovers, who have nothing to lose in this regard.

Whoa whoa whoa did you say new airport terminal?

You might want to lead with that next time.
If you're ever flown in/out of Kansas City, it is actually important information to share. Their airport is the absolute worst....the Nebraska of airports if you will. A cramped, crowed, inconvenient pile of garbage. I flew in/out of that ****ing place monthly for about 3 years, and I have absolutely nothing good to say about MCI. Aside from a couple people who live in KC, I've never heard ANYONE say something good about that ****-hole airport either. Thinking about that place makes my blood pressure rise.

In summary, **** MCI Airport.

If you were a big 12 member, would you let UT or Ou out of the gor early? I sure wouldn't. First, it kills your tv deal. Second, **** them.
This isn't happening in a vacuum, though. ESPN wants UT and OU in the SEC (and to be able to kill LHN as a non-performing asset) as soon as possible. It's ESPN that can honor the B12 deal to keep the remaining 8 whole through 2025 while finding them new homes with playoff paths. Or the remaining 8 can play hardball and most will have no football future after getting a big check in the short term.

If you're ever flown in/out of Kansas City, it is actually important information to share. Their airport is the absolute worst....the ****braska of airports if you will. A cramped, crowed, inconvenient pile of garbage. I flew in/out of that ****ing place monthly for about 3 years, and I have absolutely nothing good to say about MCI. Aside from a couple people who live in KC, I've never heard ANYONE say something good about that ****-hole airport either. Thinking about that place makes my blood pressure rise.

In summary, **** MCI Airport.
It was built for the era of TWA wanting a hub in the middle of the country. Not exactly a modern facility since it was built around a 1960s concept that struggles with large planes and movement of people. Lots of hallways. Not a lot of amenities.

It was built for the era of TWA wanting a hub in the middle of the country. Not exactly a modern facility since it was built around a 1960s concept that struggles with large planes and movement of people. Lots of hallways. Not a lot of amenities.
Also built/designed by the same company that built DFW from what my career construction dad told me after we flew in/out for volleyball Nationals this year.
However, unlike MCI, DFW (well, AA) had a much better vision on how to modernize the design for future ait travel.

Back