What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

I want to say it's his first year and to an extent that warrants somewhat of a pass but the last 3 weeks has been brutal.
He has a lot of growing to do. In the passing game, we are only using 2/3 of the field. You can’t just avoid throwing in between the numbers/hashes and expect to have consistent success. He’s not using matchups to his advatange, he has no rhythm, has no consistency with his personnel packages, etc. His success through 5 games came because he had a top 10 draft pick making play after play and covering for his poor schemes and game plans. I’m not saying he can’t get better, but I have to completely retract my statements about him being a guy that should be considered for HC.

What's pissing me off in addition to the **** show Mac served us in the 4th quarter is that USC got beat at home by ASU. How come AS ****ing U can do this whereas we're absolutely ****ing hopeless against SC no matter how good or bad they are?

Meanwhile, over at House of Sparky, Jens doppelgänger just posted “How can ASU beat USC on the road, but lose to a crappy CU team?”.

What's pissing me off in addition to the **** show Mac served us in the 4th quarter is that USC got beat at home by ASU. How come AS ****ing U can do this whereas we're absolutely ****ing hopeless against SC no matter how good or bad they are?
Because if you have a solid OL/DL you can compete in a lot of games. CU has had the worst OL situation in the conference since they joined

And none of that explains today.

I’ll explain today.

Poor recruiting and player development on the offensive line.

We lucked out on a grad transfer RB in TM, but have zero depth. 2nd string is a nice walk on story, but not a viable back up. Why does Oregon State have better players at that position and it’s not even close.

Because of the poor line and backs, CU does all sorts of gimmicks to try and confuse defenses. The smoke and mirrors tends to get exposed later in the season and against better teams. Offense reverts to quick outs, bubble screens, and occasional deep routes.

Defensive scheme is over reliant on blitz packages. Puts enormous pressure on the DBs, who aren’t good enough in man coverage to do it against better competition.

We should pray we scrape out 1 more win for bowl eligibility and Mac GTFO
That's what I want at this point. Get to a bowl game with 6, hopefully 7 wins. Have a new HC in place for that game.
Without trying to inject hyperbole - I don’t think we get another win. But if we make a bowl, I’m afraid MM stays on. So if the collective desire is for a new coach, I think the its probably better not to make a bowl.

Without trying to inject hyperbole - I don’t think we get another win. But if we make a bowl, I’m afraid MM stays on. So if the collective desire is for a new coach, I think the its probably better not to make a bowl.
Well, my dream scenario would be to somehow win 8 or 9 so that someone hires MM away. I'll root for that to happen because I'm certainly not going to hope the team loses.

I’ll explain today.

We lucked out on a grad transfer RB in TM, but have zero depth. 2nd string is a nice walk on story, but not a viable back up. Why does Oregon State have better players at that position and it’s not even close.

Because of the poor line and backs, CU does all sorts of gimmicks to try and confuse defenses. The smoke and mirrors tends to get exposed later in the season and against better teams. Offense reverts to quick outs, bubble screens, and occasional deep routes.

Defensive scheme is over reliant on blitz packages. Puts enormous pressure on the DBs, who aren’t good enough in man coverage to do it against better competition.
The O-line generally deserves a lot of blame, but this loss was not on them today lol. There's several places I'd look at (just talking today, not for the whole season) before looking at the O-line in this particular game.

Well, my dream scenario would be to somehow win 8 or 9 so that someone hires MM away. I'll root for that to happen because I'm certainly not going to hope the team loses.
This makes me think of how many Titan's fans, like myself were feeling going into the playoff game last year. I wanted to lose, so we would get rid of Mularkey, and many fans echoed that sentiment. The team won...but they fired to coach anyway...hooray. Just to bring in a whole new kind of **** show.

I still cant believe we ****ing lost. I had to get ready and was too busy to move **** around to watch or listen. I saw the game in the 4th and was baffled how we could **** up so bad. Just fire Mac, I’m done with this ****. Unreal.

I’ll explain today.

I’d like to argue that had we not blitzed on 3rd down (second third down, not first 3rd and 17 that they converted) in Overtime, we could have stopped them.

I was in section 118 row 14 and I was shocked how little MM interacted with players or even other coaches. Often, he was isolated, 10-15 yards away from anyone else. His meltdowns are well known, but today he showed almost no emotion for most of the game and appeared disengaged while the collapse unfolded around him. Strange.

Totally agree. I’m just saying that if it comes down to a 6-6 season, I think that is worst-case scenario...if we want MM gone.

And none of that explains today.

What explains today is that Leavitt was our only big program coach, which he probably realized having to answer limp wrist mike Mac and bailed as soon as he could. What we’ve had since the Alamo bowl is pathetic coaching and play on the field.

We will continue to have this because mike Mac is too soft, too loyal and uncool to fire HIS coaches and bring in top notch coaches / recruit great players.

All the success we’ve had (because of Leavitt’s defensive turn around) still only resulted in slightly higher end 3* recruits. MM/staff cannot recruit against the big boys for 4/5* guys and win despite all CU has to offer.

What explains today is that Leavitt was our only big program coach, which he probably realized having to answer limp wrist mike Mac and bailed as soon as he could. What we’ve had since the Alamo bowl is pathetic coaching and play on the field.

We will continue to have this because mike Mac is too soft, too loyal and uncool to fire HIS coaches and bring in top notch coaches / recruit great players.

All the success we’ve had (because of Leavitt’s defensive turn around) still only resulted in slightly higher end 3* recruits. MM/staff cannot recruit against the big boys for 4/5* guys and win despite all CU has to offer.
This. So much this. I've heard people refer to MM as the Dick Vermeil of college football, but having heard both talk and seen both coach and interact with their players, Vermeil had a million times more fire and was more relatable. Honestly, if you're a recruit and you host MM and then Herm Edwards, would you really walk away from those meetings wanting to play for MM? No...he's a goober.

I am really starting to wonder that MM micromanages every aspect of this program and his coaches. The issues we are seeing today are constant issues throughout his tenure.

Can’t believe people still talking about winning another game. We are a dog**** road team, and the rest of the league has us completely figured out. 5-7. Book it.
Other than Wazzu, we're playing teams that primarily run the ball on offense. That gives us a shot with the way our DL and Landman are playing. It's far from hopeless. It's not pretty, but I can see us gagging out a win or two. Especially since we'll likely get Viska back and Winfree looks like he's shaking off the rust.

I am really starting to wonder that MM micromanages every aspect of this program and his coaches. The issues we are seeing today are constant issues throughout his tenure.
I think it's pretty obvious. Did it seem to you like Lindgren used a lot more concepts than he did when he was here? Our offense seems to be lost in the dark ages in some regards. Very few jump ball opportunities. Never throw the back shoulder fade.

Back