What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Over or under 2 wins in 2022?

Even with a 0-12 or 2-10 season KD will be back in 2023
Maybe. Depends on Saliman and how quickly he wants to show his support for Athletics. I tend to think a 2-3 win season is questionable, but a 0-1 win season would result in a firing/resignation, possibly of both RG and KD. That kind of season would crater recruiting (even further than it already is) under KD and both he and RG know there would be no coming back from that and 2023 would simply be a lame duck year for both most likely. I tend to think they would rip the bandaid off after this season if it's actually 0-12 or 1-11.

Maybe. Depends on Saliman and how quickly he wants to show his support for Athletics. I tend to think a 2-3 win season is questionable, but a 0-1 win season would result in a firing/resignation, possibly of both RG and KD. That kind of season would crater recruiting (even further than it already is) under KD and both he and RG know there would be no coming back from that and 2023 would simply be a lame duck year for both most likely. I tend to think they would rip the bandaid off after this season if it's actually 0-12 or 1-11.
I don’t share your optimism but understand where you are coming from. Given RG’s comments after last season, I would be really surprised if he changes course in 2023 but I’m a jaded, grumpy old man

I don’t share your optimism but understand where you are coming from. Given RG’s comments after last season, I would be really surprised if he changes course in 2023 but I’m a jaded, grumpy old man
I am with NWBuff on this one. KD got a retirement enhancing contract, RG got his raise and extension. It is retire on the job time, knowing they both get paid either way.

Of course RG is going to say all the right things in support when he knows KD is coming back for 2022, but I just think a lot can change in a year. Retaining a coach after a 0-1 win season on the heels of a 4 win season where the offense was putrid would be catastrophic for attendance and revenue.

Of course RG is going to say all the right things in support when he knows KD is coming back for 2022, but I just think a lot can change in a year. Retaining a coach after a 0-1 win season on the heels of a 4 win season where the offense was putrid would be catastrophic for attendance and revenue.
I believe there is already a significant hit to revenue underway for the 2022 season, and attendance will be very poor as well. I know of a fairly significant group of fans that have given up season tix for 2022. These people range from longtime season ticket holders (10 years plus) to younger alums who graduated 6 to 8 years ago. If my circle of friends and acquaintances are in any way representative of larger trends within the CU fanbase, 2022 is going to look really bad financially and in the stands. I don't see those folks coming back unless CU goes to a bowl game in 2022. Which has a very low probability of occurring.

I believe there is already a significant hit to revenue underway for the 2022 season, and attendance will be very poor as well. I know of a fairly significant group of fans that have given up season tix for 2022. These people range from longtime season ticket holders (10 years plus) to younger alums who graduated 6 to 8 years ago. If my circle of friends and acquaintances are in any way representative of larger trends within the CU fanbase, 2022 is going to look really bad financially and in the stands. I don't see those folks coming back unless CU goes to a bowl game in 2022. Which has a very low probability of occurring.
All depends on QB and OL play. Is Shrout legit or has Lewis improved enough? If so, I think they'll find 4 wins. If the defense can be mediocre along with improved OL and QB play, I think there is a path to 5-6 wins. If the OL still sucks and the QB play isn't much better than last year, then I see 2 wins at best.

All depends on QB and OL play. Is Shrout legit or has Lewis improved enough? If so, I think they'll find 4 wins. If the defense can be mediocre along with improved OL and QB play, I think there is a path to 5-6 wins. If the OL still sucks and the QB play isn't much better than last year, then I see 2 wins at best.
Your glasses are rosier than mine.

Serious question: what have you seen that makes you think OL play could be improved?

Serious question: what have you seen that makes you think OL play could be improved?
The Alabama transfer and a half competent OL coach would be the first things that come to mind. Even an average amount of injuries could be devastating.

Your glasses are rosier than mine.

My "rosier" outlook is based on the two most important areas being improved over last year, which I qualified with IF they are improved. To answer your question, though, I think OL play could be improved with a halfway decent coach and the addition of a seemingly solid player from Alabama. Of course, there's also the possibility that Wiley and Fillip, after a year of starting and another offseason could be improved over their 2021 versions.

For months now, I have been of the opinion that there simply isn't anywhere for this offense (and OL) to go, relative to 2021, but up. It's why I took manhattan's bet on scoring offense being improved and why I think the OL will likely be better in 2022... They literally can't be worse.

End of the day, the schedule is harder than last year, but there are some unknowns that really only provide CU with potential upside (ie, Shrout is an unknown, but he can't be worse than Lewis was last year, and the OL may not be great, but they can't be worse under DeVan than they were under Rod).

The Alabama transfer and a half competent OL coach would be the first things that come to mind. Even an average amount of injuries could be devastating.
I agree the AL OL should be an upgrade. But he replaces Kutsch, you still lost Purcell, a multi-year starter, Ray and the big long haired kid whose name I cannot remember, left through the portal. It seems to me CU lost more through the portal than they gained. The two other portal OL do not look like they are ready to play right now. I guess we'll see.

I agree the AL OL should be an upgrade. But he replaces Kutsch, you still lost Purcell, a multi-year starter, Ray and the big long haired kid whose name I cannot remember, left through the portal. It seems to me CU lost more through the portal than they gained. The two other portal OL do not look like they are ready to play right now. I guess we'll see.
I can see a starting 5 better than last year. Hard to overestimate how terrible coach gumbo was. With a few injuries, especially at T, we could be looking fondly at last year's OL play.

I honestly think the OL ends up being a zero sum change. Roddick and Fenske are meh. Filip is all potential, nothing else. Wiley just isn't a P5 player - never was, never was going to be. Brown helps, but how much can one dude change the whole trajectory? After that it's youngsters and/or straight a$$.

I have found a statistically significant correlation between losses and the number of times our under-recruited players are compared to players from the 20th century.

If someone with a 247 membership can type “CTRL-F” and search “maximus” + “haven’t had a guy like this since” then I can give you a better prediction than Vegas

I can see a starting 5 better than last year. Hard to overestimate how terrible coach gumbo was. With a few injuries, especially at T, we could be looking fondly at last year's OL play.
Well, I hope you are right. Carson Lee getting the hook from the Student Kangaroo Court pretty much put the last nail in the chances of the OL being serviceable IMO.

Wiley, to me, would be a lot better at G. He struggles blocking the edge. Filip got beat by some pretty, ahem, competent defenders in the spring showcase.

So, it seems there is work to do at both OT positions, Brown, hopefully, solidifies one G position and then you have Roddick at the other G, and presumably Fenske at C. I am not sure that is equal to what CU had last year. Then you have no depth, at all. It isn't that the guys behind are no good, they are just very, very young, and probably not ready for prime time. For instance, I really liked what I saw out of Gray in the showcase, I think he might be really good a year or two down the road.

So many of the rosy outlook posts have a lot of "if's" in them. I think we all know what that means. The likelihood of success becomes an if, at best.

My "rosier" outlook is based on the two most important areas being improved over last year, which I qualified with IF they are improved. To answer your question, though, I think OL play could be improved with a halfway decent coach and the addition of a seemingly solid player from Alabama. Of course, there's also the possibility that Wiley and Fillip, after a year of starting and another offseason could be improved over their 2021 versions.

For months now, I have been of the opinion that there simply isn't anywhere for this offense (and OL) to go, relative to 2021, but up. It's why I took manhattan's bet on scoring offense being improved and why I think the OL will likely be better in 2022... They literally can't be worse.

End of the day, the schedule is harder than last year, but there are some unknowns that really only provide CU with potential upside (ie, Shrout is an unknown, but he can't be worse than Lewis was last year, and the OL may not be great, but they can't be worse under DeVan than they were under Rod).
Poor talent a year old is still poor talent.

Not really. Players do get better and it's absurd to suggest otherwise
Yes, players getting better. It happens. But improvement is always relative.

Quantum leaps rarely happen in one year on the OL. This group getting better may rise to almost mediocre, at best.

The basement for this group is staggering. Several floors up on the elevator may still be underground and dark.

Yes, players getting better. It happens. But improvement is always relative.

Quantum leaps rarely happen in one year on the OL. This group getting better may rise to almost mediocre, at best.

The basement for this group is staggering. Several floors up on the elevator may still be underground and dark.
Right, I was asked why I think the OL could be better than 2021 and I think saying current OL with a year of starting under their belts could be improved, along with better coaching and the addition of Brown. I never said the OL could be great. Even mediocre would be a massive step up from last year.

IMO, the offense was SO bad last year that I almost view it as fluky. An OL coach who should be coaching HS, and a QB starting who clearly wasn't ready, all being coordinated by a guy who is now an analyst for UCLA. Mediocre QB and OL play, along with competent coordination, makes for a much improved offense.

Only 2 ways KD is fired this year - going 0-12 or scandal.
Aren't the two intertwined? Being 0-12 is a scandal, on how he received that contract and how is he still employed (after historically bad production, incompetent coaching hires, yells at the media and even shoves them). Seriously, the scandal would have to rock the school not just the program in order to get RG to move on from Dorrell.

Back