What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

Now, I will say that if there was a gun culture in the CU locker room then I would be the first person to criticize it - loudly. But there isn't anything going on as far as I can tell.

And I suspect that some of the folks posting these replies and saying "thugs" are often the same folks who are usually yelling about their 2A rights. So I am wondering why someone who might be a 2A advocate would be so angry about it if they thought CU football players were exercising their 2A rights. 🤔
I pretty much don't trust anything a disgruntled former player says.

I'm pretty sure that Trogdor would be the first person to criticize it. Second is the best you can do.
Nope, because I keep it real. If there were a "gun culture" we'd know about it because that **** won't slide anywhere. Deion dumped some guys and they're salty about it. They have an agenda because he kicked them to the curb. He could have taken them out for dinner and a movie first and they'd still be in their feels. This is big boy football, cutting guys is the new reality. Nobody has to like it.

Well, the CBS thing seems to be a project gone wrong. Prime, allegedly, was working with a Black reporter at CBS on a story and the following happened: Despite no issues with the work in progress (at least from Prime's perspective), CBS decided to pull this reporter off the project and give it to a White reporter.

Well, the CBS thing seems to be a project gone wrong. Prime, allegedly, was working with a Black reporter at CBS on a story and the following happened: Despite no issues with the work in progress (at least from Prime's perspective), CBS decided to pull this reporter off the project and give it to a White reporter.
Not sure how I feel about this. Currently trying to suspend all judgement.

Can't wait until people start labeling him as a racist.

The criticism I think is valid is that a local CBS affiliate isn't the same as CBS national, so Prime's boycott shouldn't have extended to folks like Christensen and Romi or the Denver affiliate.
Without any knowledge of why CBS made the change, the story presented the issue as one solely of race. If a white coach refused to answer questions from a news organization because said org wanted him to work with a black reporter, I don't think that would be ok. At all. I'm trying really hard to look at this from the opposite perspective, noting the articles mention of "brothers need to look out for each other". I'm honestly struggling a bit, but keeping an open mind as I don't / can't fully appreciate the situation from a black man's POV.

Without any knowledge of why CBS made the change, the story presented the issue as one solely of race. If a white coach refused to answer questions from a news organization because said org wanted him to work with a black reporter, I don't think that would be ok. At all. I'm trying really hard to look at this from the opposite perspective, noting the articles mention of "brothers need to look out for each other". I'm honestly struggling a bit, but keeping an open mind as I don't / can't fully appreciate the situation from a black man's POV.
Holy **** Hokie.

Expand? What part of my post is leading to your incredulous reaction and why?
Your constant demand for everything to be hand fed to you has to be exhausting to everyone around you, although I continue to try to convince myself it comes from a good place.

1. An agreement was not honored by CBS. Prime is mad about it and taking the action he feels is appropriate to elevate the issue to the spotlight. Simple story. It's only the racial component that has grabbed your attention, and you appear fixated on it.
2. You are approaching this in an ignorant fashion. As in, ignorant of the history of America and ignorant of the history of how Prime repeatedly has said it is important to him to use his platform to elevate other black people. And ignorant of how he has actually used his platform to do that.
3. You are not ignorant of the things mentioned in #2. So I ask you, why are your blinders on regarding this dispute?

Top of Reddit this morning

I was actually really surprised by this. Particularly "the assumption" part.

Coach Prime had the biggest turnaround in college football last year, and could take significant further strides this year.

What am I missing in this portrayal?

1. Prime agrees to do a story and spends unusual time on it.
2. Prime did this to give an opportunity to a reporter. Beyond the individual reporter, some of Prime's motivation was to help elevate the career of a Black person.
3. CBS yanked the rug out from under the Black reporter who secured Prime for the project and had been working well with him to complete it, giving the project to a White reporter.
You can't wrap your head around why Prime is pissed at CBS, is refusing to work with that company, and how this is different than if a White coach simply refused to answer questions from Black reporters? Really?

Edit: Maybe it would help if you took race out of it and imagined the same exact events but with it being that Prime decided to give a great career opportunity to a young reporter from his hometown and then corporate reassigned it at the 11th hour so that a more senior & established reporter could get the big story published under his byline.

i don't care about the local cbs affiliate. i don't care about the douchebag keeler and the biased DP.

they all act like small time journalists covering a lower division team. we are going to win and the hate meter is going to go to 11. here is why: the racists and haters are going to say CU "should" have won more than X games this season and really the only objectively fair bar ought to be whether we bowl or not. the hate pundits will then conintue all kinds of wild speculation about Coach moving on when his kids do. then, when he reiterates that he is staying and he lands a few monster game -changing players (either portal or otherwise), they will shift their attack to say we are somehow dishonorable.

good.fine. throw it all at us. the bonfire of their hate just makes the program stronger. this is happening.

i don't care about the local cbs affiliate. i don't care about the douchebag keeler and the biased DP.

they all act like small time journalists covering a lower division team. we are going to win and the hate meter is going to go to 11. here is why: the racists and haters are going to say CU "should" have won more than X games this season and really the only objectively fair bar ought to be whether we bowl or not. the hate pundits will then conintue all kinds of wild speculation about Coach moving on when his kids do. then, when he reiterates that he is staying and he lands a few monster game -changing players (either portal or otherwise), they will shift their attack to say we are somehow dishonorable.

good.fine. throw it all at us. the bonfire of their hate just makes the program stronger. this is happening.
I hope to see the hate articles after Prime CU wins a national championship about how this program is everything that's wrong with college sports and how everything about college football in particular went sideways.

I hope to see the hate articles after Prime CU wins a national championship about how this program is everything that's wrong with college sports and how everything about college football in particular went sideways.
They did it to Coach Mac and all couched in racist terms too. Thugs and inner city kids and so forth. Bring it on. Coach Prime can build a dynasty here and I think he knows and wants that.

Your constant demand for everything to be hand fed to you has to be exhausting to everyone around you, although I continue to try to convince myself it comes from a good place.

1. An agreement was not honored by CBS. Prime is mad about it and taking the action he feels is appropriate to elevate the issue to the spotlight. Simple story. It's only the racial component that has grabbed your attention, and you appear fixated on it.
2. You are approaching this in an ignorant fashion. As in, ignorant of the history of America and ignorant of the history of how Prime repeatedly has said it is important to him to use his platform to elevate other black people. And ignorant of how he has actually used his platform to do that.
3. You are not ignorant of the things mentioned in #2. So I ask you, why are your blinders on regarding this dispute?
1. I just reread the linked article (and went and watched the Dukes' video) -- I don't see any mention of an agreement that was not honored. If you have knowledge that CBS and Sanders had an agreement that he'd work with a certain reporter, please link it. There were vague mentions of a breach of trust and something foul, but nothing about an agreement.

I've definitely seen it happen when one person made an assumption and then felt trust was broken but the other person never felt they agreed to that assumption.

I'm focussed on race because the linked article said it was the key point in Sanders' issue with CBS.

2. I explicitly stated that I understand my limitations in appreciating this from a black man's perspective.... And that I'm trying to. Feel free to help me (as well as mock me... That's fine, I expect it) if you believe you have that full appreciation. Specifically here, I don't see how - based on the information in the article - that Sanders is using his platform to elevate black people in this case.

I said above I'm trying to keep an open mind, but to be specific, I'm open that...
- There may be information I'm not seeing that adds significant context (e.g. an agreement whether verbal or in writing)
- based on my ignorance, I'm not fully appreciating the situation. I know if the article reversed races of the players in this story, I'd be unimpressed with the white coach responding this way because he was asked to work with a black reporter. AND, I understand the reversal of race roles makes this different, I'm just not all the way to this being so different that snubbing the CBS reporter was the right response.

1. Prime agrees to do a story and spends unusual time on it.
2. Prime did this to give an opportunity to a reporter. Beyond the individual reporter, some of Prime's motivation was to help elevate the career of a Black person.
3. CBS yanked the rug out from under the Black reporter who secured Prime for the project and had been working well with him to complete it, giving the project to a White reporter.
You can't wrap your head around why Prime is pissed at CBS, is refusing to work with that company, and how this is different than if a White coach simply refused to answer questions from Black reporters? Really?

Edit: Maybe it would help if you took race out of it and imagined the same exact events but with it being that Prime decided to give a great career opportunity to a young reporter from his hometown and then corporate reassigned it at the 11th hour so that a more senior & established reporter could get the big story published under his byline.
To the bolded, I didn't say or imply that.

RE: race, the article you linked said it was the key issue with Sanders. Taking race out seems like changing the subject altogether.

See my response to Snow.

To the bolded, I didn't say or imply that.

RE: race, the article you linked said it was the key issue with Sanders. Taking race out seems like changing the subject altogether.

See my response to Snow.
Rain Man GIF by Filmin

I'm fine being mocked, but would appreciate being educated as a well of you view my understanding as exceptionally deficient.
just teasing, not mocking.

it is my observation that you are quite literal in your analysis and interpretation of some things. all is well.

just teasing, not mocking.

it is my observation that you are quite literal in your analysis and interpretation of some things. all is well.
Yeah, I tend to take news articles literally but I'll consider doing so metaphorically in the future.

1. I just reread the linked article (and went and watched the Dukes' video) -- I don't see any mention of an agreement that was not honored. If you have knowledge that CBS and Sanders had an agreement that he'd work with a certain reporter, please link it. There were vague mentions of a breach of trust and something foul, but nothing about an agreement.

I've definitely seen it happen when one person made an assumption and then felt trust was broken but the other person never felt they agreed to that assumption.

I'm focussed on race because the linked article said it was the key point in Sanders' issue with CBS.

2. I explicitly stated that I understand my limitations in appreciating this from a black man's perspective.... And that I'm trying to. Feel free to help me (as well as mock me... That's fine, I expect it) if you believe you have that full appreciation. Specifically here, I don't see how - based on the information in the article - that Sanders is using his platform to elevate black people in this case.

I said above I'm trying to keep an open mind, but to be specific, I'm open that...
- There may be information I'm not seeing that adds significant context (e.g. an agreement whether verbal or in writing)
- based on my ignorance, I'm not fully appreciating the situation. I know if the article reversed races of the players in this story, I'd be unimpressed with the white coach responding this way because he was asked to work with a black reporter. AND, I understand the reversal of race roles makes this different, I'm just not all the way to this being so different that snubbing the CBS reporter was the right response.
Is your issue really that there was a "breach of trust" rather than a "breach of contract" or something? Are you trying to suggest Prime shouldn't feel and act like he did/does because there was never an official "agreement" in place for the black reporter, and therefore CBS was well within their rights to remove the black reporter Prime had worked on the story with and give it to a white reporter?

If so, I guess I'll ask you what you believe an "agreement" to be. Is a verbal agreement something that CBS should be honoring or do they only need to honor a contractual agreement?

I really don't think it needs to be that complicated, hokie. Prime worked on a project with a black reporter to help elevate his career. CBS gave the completed or semi-completed work to a white reporter. Prime has an issue with it. I'm really trying to hard to understand why this is something you are struggling with.

They did it to Coach Mac and all couched in racist terms too. Thugs and inner city kids and so forth. Bring it on. Coach Prime can build a dynasty here and I think he knows and wants that.
I watched "The Gospel According to Mac" last night (it's available on Hulu and is just great. At one point, Mac is sitting with several players, and reminds Chad Brown of the time Mac gently called him out and told him he hadn't played with all his heart. 15 years later, CB choked up as he recalled it. Sal's story)
Lots of similarities to what's going on now in Boulder (altho no one now, is complaining about 'criminal' problems). Pretty amazing how big a national story Mac's 'bad boys' became. The players were wrongly labelled and vilified.

If I remember correctly, in 89 less than 1% of Boulder's population was black and there were under 400 some black CU students.
I was not aware at the time, of how much Mac did to support not just his own players, but black athletes nationally

Is your issue really that there was a "breach of trust" rather than a "breach of contract" or something? Are you trying to suggest Prime shouldn't feel and act like he did/does because there was never an official "agreement" in place for the black reporter, and therefore CBS was well within their rights to remove the black reporter Prime had worked on the story with and give it to a white reporter?

If so, I guess I'll ask you what you believe an "agreement" to be. Is a verbal agreement something that CBS should be honoring or do they only need to honor a contractual agreement?

I really don't think it needs to be that complicated, hokie. Prime worked on a project with a black reporter to help elevate his career. CBS gave the completed or semi-completed work to a white reporter. Prime has an issue with it. I'm really trying to hard to understand why this is something you are struggling with.

If a verbal agreement was made, they should honor it. I think I conveyed that in the post you quoted.

If Sanders assumed that the black reporter he started the project with would necessarily finish it, and CBS never made any commitment -- verbal, written, handshake, whatever -- then I don't believe an "agreement" was made (my understanding of agreement is that it requires all parties having the same understanding).

If there was any kind of agreement, I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone other than Snow. That's a key missing piece here.

Is Sanders bitter than an agreement was broken or that a black reporter was replaced with a white reporter? If the latter, then it will be interesting to hear CBS's position on why the change was made. If the former, it will be interesting to hear CBS's take on their understanding of the agreement.

If a verbal agreement was made, they should honor it. I think I conveyed that in the post you quoted.

If Sanders assumed that the black reporter he started the project with would necessarily finish it, and CBS never made any commitment -- verbal, written, handshake, whatever -- then I don't believe an "agreement" was made (my understanding of agreement is that it requires all parties having the same understanding).

If there was any kind of agreement, I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone other than Snow. That's a key missing piece here.

Is Sanders bitter than an agreement was broken or that a black reporter was replaced with a white reporter? If the latter, then it will be interesting to hear CBS's position on why the change was made. If the former, it will be interesting to hear CBS's take on their understanding of the agreement.
Respectfully, I don’t get why the distinction matters. Primes frustration and reaction would be justified in either scenario.

Back