What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

To me, it sounds racist to call CP "unapologetically black." I don't think all African Americans are as brash, prideful, and outspoken as CP. I think he is just unapologetically Deion.
Unapologetically black is a frequently used phrase that I don't think is seen in the least as offensive.

Unapologetically black is a frequently used phrase that I don't think is seen in the least as offensive.

I'm sure your not a racist, but the principle I'm trying convey still stands.

You should sit this one out. “Unapologetically black” is not even remotely racist. It’s a stronger version of “black and proud”.

Signed,
This mixed dude who is half black 👊🏽
Sorry, I believe that anytime you assign a supposed "characteristic" of a race to an individual, you are doing a disservice to both the race and the individual.

Sorry, I believe that anytime you assign a supposed "characteristic" of a race to an individual, you are doing a disservice to both the race and the individual.
I am proudly, unapologetically black.

giphy.gif

I think you're discounting how different the organizational missions are, making the necessary tactical approach vastly different.

Prime is leading a sports entertainment property and inherited an under-resourced, tired brand on life support. As important as it is that he's a real life Apollo Creed as a supremely confident and hard working motivator, mentor, competitor, community leader, and brilliant businessman - it's equally important that he's Apollo Creed the showman at the promotional gigs, press conferences and whenever the cameras are rolling. I don't think it works without that showman component, given where we were.
Not gonna lie, Apollo Creed is probably the worst overall example you could have used.

As for our “missions” - when I was public-facing, I don’t see it as any different: motivate my team, gain support from external sources and stakeholders.

Not gonna lie, Apollo Creed is probably the worst overall example you could have used.

As for our “missions” - when I was public-facing, I don’t see it as any different: motivate my team, gain support from external sources and stakeholders.
Why?

Compare the general response to Lane Kiffin and Lincoln Riley who both used transfers at unprecedented levels before Prime did it too. The coverage was critical and there were raised eyebrows, but it wasn't the same.

Break out of the mindset of, "is this reporter or that reporter categorically, undeniably racist?"

Race plays a role in how he is covered. It's not the sole determining factor, and a lot of it is unconscious bias.

If Bronco Mendenhall encouraged the 50+ guys who were borderline Go5 talents to transfer out it would have been reported on, but not like it was with Deion.
Do you have a video of both of their very first encounters with their teams? Was it as demeaning as CU’s*? Was it immediately made public?

*You and I both know none of those players deserved to be on Prime’s team. But we can both agree that initial contact was absolutely mean-spirited. And don’t try to tell me that that was just “Black Culture”.

Last edited:
Eg, "Brash," "Cocky," "Loud," etc, etc - are all used to describe cultural behaviors that deviate from WASPy puritanism - those may not be coming from a non-racist place.
This board is losing its ****ing mind. The bold describes Trump, MTG, Gym Jordan, etc. None of us like that ****. Don’t tell me I have to like it when a black person does or else I’m a racist.
And don’t “yeah but”. It’s Brash, Cocky, and Loud.

Last edited:
Do you have a video of both of their very first encounters with their teams? Was it as demeaning as CU’s*? Was it immediately made public?

*You and I both know none of those players deserved to be Prime’s team. But we can both agree that initial contact was absolutely mean-spirited. And don’t try to tell me that that was just “Black Culture”.
Not this stupid **** again. There was nothing wrong with his first meeting with the team, and everybody in that room that was butt hurt over being told to shape up or ship out was a weak little baby who needed to pay for the embarrassment they brought on my alma mater.

Good podcast with Brian Howell and Mat Smith about how the players are actually not getting enough local media attention because they appear to not be allowed to, or are afraid to talk to the media or something. Prime may be inadvertently keeping the players from more good pub by controlling the narrative and access too much. Love everything he is doing, but they need to help the players get interviewed far more than they are.

Sko Buffs

Good podcast with Brian Howell and Mat Smith about how the players are actually not getting enough local media attention because they appear to not be allowed to, or are afraid to talk to the media or something. Prime may be inadvertently keeping the players from more good pub by controlling the narrative and access too much. Love everything he is doing, but they need to help the players get interviewed far more than they are.

Sko Buffs

clearly buffs players arent allowed to talk to local media and hate doing it, because no one has talked to jake and rk. /S

Sko Buffs

Let's be honest here. Both these guys suck and I wouldn't talk to them either.

Let's be honest here. Both these guys suck and I wouldn't talk to them either.
Really
Both are 90% supportive of Prime and want to do their jobs to elevate the players and program
The players made comments about not having interviews and being excited about it. We could learn way more about them if more interviews could happen.
My thought is that if only Well Off, Thee Pregame, and Reach the People, plus Amazon documentary can keep all info proprietary it drives up their views. But, if many players are not breaking through, then that sucks.
I do believe a player should be paid for interviews.

You should sit this one out. “Unapologetically black” is not even remotely racist. It’s a stronger version of “black and proud”.

Signed,
This mixed dude who is half black 👊🏽
Wow! You sound unapologetically, uhh, mixed!! 😆

Deion can do what he wants. I love listening to him talk, though. And that is why, as a local fan, I would like to hear him do interviews in the local media. A lot of us older fans aren’t really into the social media thing. But whatever. It’s not something I lose sleep over.

Back