What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

San Diego State @ CU Game thread - 11/28 @ 3 PM MT on P12 Network

Other than the snapping issues, what was your assessment of the OL play last night? Seemed like Jerek had a few really nice runs, but overall, it didn’t seem like we were getting a lot of push (especially in some of the goal line sets). Yogi kept talking about SDST dropping 8 in coverage and how the safeties were deep so I would think that would lead to a lot of success in the run game. Interested to hear what you saw. I’ll hang up and listen.
[slappy] I saw a lot of indecision up front mostly due to 3-3-5 alignment. When the line fired off with confidence good things happened—big runs, solid pass pro. When there was hesitation, Aztec defenders disrupted. Tackles aren’t used to a straight up 4 tech, so it’s difficult to communicate with the guard if a combo block is needed. This is where the lack of reps vs. the defensive front was most obvious.
[/end slappy]

I had to catch the first half on radio and then follow the second half online, but I'm glad I was listening to Barnett instead of reading this thread, lol. Totally different perspectives on the game.

Honestly, if someone didn't know the score, reading this thread, they'd have thought we lost by 20, lol.

Random takeaways from 3 games:

LaVontae emerging as main outside WR
Landman is a beast. Best LB we have had since Dizon. After him??? Yikes. Next year looks scary. Need Ham, Williams etc to emerge
Mustafa where are you. Plays solid, just thought he would be more of a playmaker this year.
Carson Wells is great
Noyer regressed to the mean. Seems he was scared to throw downfield. Hope he plays more like the first 2 games

I had to catch the first half on radio and then follow the second half online, but I'm glad I was listening to Barnett instead of reading this thread, lol. Totally different perspectives on the game.

Honestly, if someone didn't know the score, reading this thread, they'd have thought we lost by 20, lol.
As is always the case around here

Years of ****ty football has made us assume the worst will happen. Lol

Landman is a beast. Best LB we have had since Dizon. After him??? Yikes. Next year looks scary. Need Ham, Williams etc to emerge
Mustafa where are you. Plays solid, just thought he would be more of a playmaker this year.
Carson Wells is great
Noyer regressed to the mean. Seems he was scared to throw downfield. Hope he plays more like the first 2 games
was he afraid to throw downfield, or was that on Chev

was he afraid to throw downfield, or was that on Chev
I think it had more to do with SDST dropping 8 into coverage and playing the safeties deep. Also, Yogi had a really interesting point about Rice’s inexperience hurting him on one of the deep balls. Essentially, Rice gave up his room to maneuver for the ball, with the way he ran his route. Yogi said that was typical of a young WR and we should watch how differently he runs that route next year, with some game experience under his belt.

Other than the snapping issues, what was your assessment of the OL play last night? Seemed like Jerek had a few really nice runs, but overall, it didn’t seem like we were getting a lot of push (especially in some of the goal line sets). Yogi kept talking about SDST dropping 8 in coverage and how the safeties were deep so I would think that would lead to a lot of success in the run game. Interested to hear what you saw. I’ll hang up and listen.

I thought the snapping issues caused the Oline to play out of sync in the 2nd half... Also, this could be the inexperience/talent available at TE or SDS's defensive adjustments, but IMO the Oline was out of sync.

Other random note

We are now 3-0 vs teams I would argue we are of equal talent.

Last year we lost those games, and at home. See Arizona and Air Force

To me this suggests we are well prepared and well coached
I would actually argue at that if you look at recruiting rankings alone, both Stanford and UCLA have better talent than CU.

That UCLA win is looking pretty solid right now.

Snaps are definitely hurting timing right now. Don't know if it is a lack of confidence or just Kutch getting rushed trying to make calls. Almost all snapping issues are due to the center not getting his body into the proper position after making his reads and calls.

Other random note

We are now 3-0 vs teams I would argue we are of equal talent.

Last year we lost those games, and at home. See Arizona and Air Force

To me this suggests we are well prepared and well coached
I would not say the SDSU is close to equal to our talent.

They are though a team that has a very good coaching staff. Hoke has been a very successful coach for a lot of years and knows how to get a team ready and how to adjust. Horton (associate HC) has been successful for years. The rest of that staff is experienced and has had success.

For us to take this game on short notice and not to get beat on preparation is significant. The few times that it looked like SDSU found a weakness in us yesterday we patched it up quickly and moved on.

I would have liked to see us dominate the game more on the ground and on the scoreboard but bottom line is we went out and put a win on the board.

Our defense completely stiffled them with their only TD coming off an offensive mistake on our part. On offense we controlled the ball, controlled field position, and controlled the clock.

Noyer had his least effective game of the season and it was easy to see why. He doesn't have the big arm that Montez or even Sefo had. He really missed having his TEs to go to for quick short to intermediate gains. With that SDSU tightened up on the outside guys and Noyer doesn't have the gun to hit those deep windows. The bad snaps also seemed to throw him out of rhythm. We miss Purcell a lot, not just because of the snaps but also for his blocking and having that guy who can make the line calls. Moving Kutsch to center also means that he isn't at LG and Lytle is a step down from him there so we are now weakened at two of the five OL positions.

You are correct though that with some past staffs this is the kind of game that we would stand a good chance of losing. A veteran opposing coaching staff would have found our weaknesses, exploited them, and instead of us adapting we would have panicked and made things worse with some big errors.

Recruiting is still a big question mark until they prove it isn't but it looks like the coaching is going to be solid.

I would actually argue at that if you look at recruiting rankings alone, both Stanford and UCLA have better talent than CU.

That UCLA win is looking pretty solid right now.
Yeah was going to say. Stanford and UCLA for sure are more talented than us (not by much). SDSU especially with the injuries on offense are worse imo, but close.

Still came out with 3 W’s

That doesn't feel like a well-reasoned or sound conclusion.
I gave you two examples off the top of my head of teams who had outbreaks that cost them games the week after they played. If you don't think that's sound, then find teams who have lost games after playing. ASU's the only one I can come up with-and everything I've read about that says it started among their players who didn't make the trip to LA on 11/7 when they played USC. If anything, that also backs up my argument. If you give these kids enough structure, they won't go out and get in trouble.

Yep. I didn’t get to catch the game live, but based on the stats, Colorado dominated this game defensively and win comfortably without the pick six.

Carson Wells is great

I'd wonder if that's going up against an unusual front with a day of prep time.

Yep. I didn’t get to catch the game live, but based on the stats, Colorado dominated this game defensively and win comfortably without the pick six.
Yeah 24/27-3with a day of prep sounds and looks much better than 20-10 where it was a one score game in the 4th

I haven’t kept up with Cal this season, but they have to be the most disappointing team in the conference this year, don’t they? What’s up with them?
Also missed multiple kicks - including a PAT to tie right at the end - in the nut-puncher against Stanford.

I gave you two examples off the top of my head of teams who had outbreaks that cost them games the week after they played. If you don't think that's sound, then find teams who have lost games after playing. ASU's the only one I can come up with-and everything I've read about that says it started among their players who didn't make the trip to LA on 11/7 when they played USC. If anything, that also backs up my argument. If you give these kids enough structure, they won't go out and get in trouble.
Two examples off of the top of your head is hardly a basis for a firm conclusion, which is my point. In fact, two examples off of the top of your head is a recipe for confirmation bias.

I'd encourage you to at least qualify your ideas with a "I have a hunch..." or "I wonder if..."

What you said was:

I think we've got enough data to where we can conclude that the structure that a football season brings decreases the chances of an outbreak.

In no rational world have we seen enough data to make that conclusion.

Furthermore, 7 days is the earliest that you might see testable levels of antibodies. So it's most likely that in the cases you cited, the exposure happened during a game week, or directly after a game week. Also, what do you think happens when a game is cancelled? Do you think the players are completely cut loose from the structure. I know about 20 players on our current team, and they didn't go all willy-nilly when ASU was cancelled.

Again, you may be right about your assumption. But I haven't seen any compelling evidence that suggests it. Two examples off of the top of your head is insufficient for me (or any reasonable standard of logic). Sorry.

Two examples off of the top of your head is hardly a basis for a firm conclusion, which is my point. In fact, two examples off of the top of your head is a recipe for confirmation bias.

I'd encourage you to at least qualify your ideas with a "I have a hunch..." or "I wonder if..."

What you said was:

I think we've got enough data to where we can conclude that the structure that a football season brings decreases the chances of an outbreak.

In no rational world have we seen enough data to make that conclusion.

Furthermore, 7 days is the earliest that you might see testable levels of antibodies. So it's most likely that in the cases you cited, the exposure happened during a game week, or directly after a game week. Also, what do you think happens when a game is cancelled? Do you think the players are completely cut loose from the structure. I know about 20 players on our current team, and they didn't go all willy-nilly when ASU was cancelled.

Again, you may be right about your assumption. But I haven't seen any compelling evidence that suggests it. Two examples off of the top of your head is insufficient for me (or any reasonable standard of logic). Sorry.
That's my personal opinion. Doesn't mean I consider it to be fact.

Main point-I hope CU gets in as many games as possible. If something happens at Arizona this week or Utah next week, let's go play schedule speed dating again or whatever Chris Fowler called it.

Last edited:
Secondary playing really well. I suppose we have played 3 pretty poor passing QB’s. Imagine if we had Luckett and Trujillo

Back