What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

Hmm wonder if any recruiting is going on. Lol.

I don't think there's a single player on that roster that is not up for grabs. None of them will get to play for a title of any sort, or a bowl game.

Are there recruiting rules on transfers? Do they have to announce their intentions of leaving the team before they can talk to other coaches?

Assuming there are several players that transfer away from Penn State, their APR will probably be adversely impacted too. I wonder if that piling on of punishments will hit them as well.

Not really. NFL rosters are 53 people and they've got a longer season.

It's the post-season ban that matters.

And the NFL has a potentially unlimited supply of free agents to restock the roster as the season goes on, if necessary. PSU has the Lambda house and the rec center.

And the NFL has a potentially unlimited supply of free agents to restock the roster as the season goes on, if necessary. PSU has the Lambda house and the rec center.

NCAA allows an unlimited number of walk-ons. PSU can attract really good walk-ons. Scholarship reductions would be the least of my concerns if I was the head coach there.

When I think of how far Colorado has fallen because of the 2003 "scandal", and the severity of what Penn State is dealing with (strictly from a football perspective), I think there will be a crater where their stadium currently sits when this is said and done.

Who all thinks that PSU will end up suing the NCAA over this, if the penalties aren't reduced by the appeals process.

They already agreed not to appeal and agreed to the penalties so they can't sue

Who all thinks that PSU will end up suing the NCAA over this, if the penalties aren't reduced by the appeals process.

Penn State is rolling over and taking it. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/statement-psu-president-rodney-erickson-140016529--ncaaf.html

Against this backdrop, Penn State accepts the penalties and corrective actions announced today by the NCAA. With today's announcement and the action it requires of us, the University takes a significant step forward.

Not being able to appeal is the difference them and USC. USC appealed and were able to load up on scholarships, Penn St won't have that luxury.

They are going to be stuck only taking 15 a year without going over 65 total.

Penalties were more that I expected from the NCAA a few months ago but much less than PSU should have gotten.

The death penalty should have been imposed, That is the only way to force a complete housecleaning and restart.

The vacated wins mean absolutely nothing. The other teams aren't going to throw a party and celebrate the removal of the loss from their records, the PSU fans are still going to consider those to be wins, JoePa's legacy was already toast with or without tohose wins on his official record.

The bowl ban is less significant than some of you think. PSU has had years where they didn't go bowling and bounced back fine. Bowl ban (although shorter period) didn't slow USC down any. Some kids may avoid PSU because of it but in the end I don't think it will be that big a deal.

The lenght of the scholly reductions will have an impact. Yes they will still be able to fill up on blue chippers but in time the depth of the squad will be impacted. It wouldn't surprise me if they have trouble qualifying for a bowl for a year or two after the sanctions are over. Eventually they will bounce back up again and return to their normal.

The attention grabber for the school and for other schools who may be facing this in the future is the $60 million. Even though PSU has a huge endowment and huge revenues nobody blows off that quantity of cash. It also sets the precedent that will make other less wealthy schools take notice.

I don't know what the B10 penalties will be although I would expect them to be more symbolic than impactful. The next real wave of penalties will come from the civil courts. They will likely wait until after the trials of Shultz, Curley, and Spanier. The plaintiffs attorneys want to see what additional evidence comes out in those trials and be able to have the criminal court convictions to back their claims for damages. They may also wait to see if it is ruled that PSU violated the Clary act which would bring all the civil cases into federal jurisdiction removing any award limitations placed by state liability caps.

The civil awards are likely to end up well exceeding the $60 million fine the NCAA levied.

The biggest thing to me is the postseason ban. The fact they didnt get a tv ban helps the, Smu did if I recall. I know they gave the players a waiver to leave, that include who can initiate contact? Meaning can schools contact penn st kids or do their players have to?

When I think of how far Colorado has fallen because of the 2003 "scandal", and the severity of what Penn State is dealing with (strictly from a football perspective), I think there will be a crater where their stadium currently sits when this is said and done.

Colorado is a place that won't even let the greatest coach in its history host a parade on an alumni weekend because he made some controversial statements about homosexuals a decade ago. I can assure you that it wouldn't have been an issue at PSU. Paterno got a women's coach fired because she was gay and the school didn't want that image.

PSU takes its football seriously enough.

Penalties were more that I expected from the NCAA a few months ago but much less than PSU should have gotten.

The death penalty should have been imposed, That is the only way to force a complete housecleaning and restart.

The vacated wins mean absolutely nothing. The other teams aren't going to throw a party and celebrate the removal of the loss from their records, the PSU fans are still going to consider those to be wins, JoePa's legacy was already toast with or without tohose wins on his official record.

The bowl ban is less significant than some of you think. PSU has had years where they didn't go bowling and bounced back fine. Bowl ban (although shorter period) didn't slow USC down any. Some kids may avoid PSU because of it but in the end I don't think it will be that big a deal.

The lenght of the scholly reductions will have an impact. Yes they will still be able to fill up on blue chippers but in time the depth of the squad will be impacted. It wouldn't surprise me if they have trouble qualifying for a bowl for a year or two after the sanctions are over. Eventually they will bounce back up again and return to their normal.

The attention grabber for the school and for other schools who may be facing this in the future is the $60 million. Even though PSU has a huge endowment and huge revenues nobody blows off that quantity of cash. It also sets the precedent that will make other less wealthy schools take notice.

I don't know what the B10 penalties will be although I would expect them to be more symbolic than impactful. The next real wave of penalties will come from the civil courts. They will likely wait until after the trials of Shultz, Curley, and Spanier. The plaintiffs attorneys want to see what additional evidence comes out in those trials and be able to have the criminal court convictions to back their claims for damages. They may also wait to see if it is ruled that PSU violated the Clary act which would bring all the civil cases into federal jurisdiction removing any award limitations placed by state liability caps.

The civil awards are likely to end up well exceeding the $60 million fine the NCAA levied.

I think the bowl ban will be more significant in this case because of the length. I think maybe what USC said was at the worst case, you would miss 2 bowl games but still can go to 2 others. A lot of these kids coming in now will probably never see a bowl game.

You're right about PSU not being USC. USC doesn't have a stadium that size, CA isn't as football-crazed as provincial or as blindly loyal as PA, and it can't match PSU having the largest alumni association of any US university.

People will be shocked at just how well PSU football weathers this storm. It is a massive punishment, though.

I'm sure you're right about how well they will weather this. CU seems to pretty much be the only school that was sunk from its scandal.

They already agreed not to appeal and agreed to the penalties so they can't sue

Fair to assume they were given a choice. Take this without appeal or sue us over a death penalty. PSU knows it could have (and should have) been a lot worse. They also don't want to be in a situation of trying to defend their actions in a public court of law. The negative publicity from this event is already more than they ever wanted to deal with, Suing would only add to it and extend it.

I'm sure you're right about how well they will weather this. CU seems to pretty much be the only school that was sunk from its scandal.

And you could make a case that that was much more because of how the CU administration reacted than any penalties the NCAA levied. CU was destroyed from the inside.

And you could make a case that that was much more because of how the CU administration reacted than any penalties the NCAA levied. CU was destroyed from the inside.

And then we hired the idiot from Boise on top of it. Over a 3 or 4 year period, we really shot ourselves in the foot.

I agree it's not a big effect, but vacating wins does cost the institution a lot of bragging rights. And if they bring the accomplishments during this period up anyway, it invites a Sandusky discussion (at least outside gatherings of their disciples). But as Nik pointed out, this is a program that actually gets support - totally different situation than we faced (are still facing).

You're right about PSU not being USC. USC doesn't have a stadium that size, CA isn't as football-crazed as provincial or as blindly loyal as PA, and it can't match PSU having the largest alumni association of any US university.

People will be shocked at just how well PSU football weathers this storm. It is a massive punishment, though.

USC alumni may not be as large in numbers, but I would be surprised if Penn St was able to raise as much money. I just read recently that over the first year of their new president, USC raised something like 1.1 billion. Which is nothing compared to the 6 billion that Stanford just raised.

I agree it's not a big effect, but vacating wins does cost the institution a lot of bragging rights. And if they bring the accomplishments during this period up anyway, it invites a Sandusky discussion (at least outside gatherings of their disciples). But as Nik pointed out, this is a program that actually gets support - totally different situation than we faced (are still facing).

Its them throwing Joe Pa's bones under the bus.

Back