What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

No, they worded it so it´s easy to misunderstand. The 20 scholarships affect the total 85 allowed.

Yes, the wording wasn't clear. But they're still losing 10 scholarships per year right? And when do they have do get down to 65?

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. In addition, the NCAA reserves the right to impose additional sanctions on involved individuals at the conclusion of any criminal proceedings

http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207231

Did you listen to Brandon Noble interview on ESPN? What a knucklehead. He just doesn't get it.

Yeah Penn St. wasnt gonna appeal, heard that Pres say theyd reopen the case if they did, something like that. Heard Katz talking about the reason no tv ban, all about tv deals and stuff, ncaa has no say over it more or less.

Yeah Penn St. wasnt gonna appeal, heard that Pres say theyd reopen the case if they did, something like that. Heard Katz talking about the reason no tv ban, all about tv deals and stuff, ncaa has no say over it more or less.

I'm assuming that the teams that they play would have a huge problem with a tv ban.

Could be wrong but isnt it they have to be at 65 no matter what?

Yeah. I think that there's something with the players now not counting so they would have to cut players to get under 65. I think people are understimating how much the 65 limit will play an impact.

I'm assuming that the teams that they play would have a huge problem with a tv ban.

It looks to me like they did this who thing to cause the lease possible interefearance with other teams. No TV ban, no ban on OOC games, no reduction in home games.

I think the Big Ten conference is going to announce something too later on. I don't know if these means anymore punishment or anything.

I think the Big Ten conference is going to announce something too later on. I don't know if these means anymore punishment or anything.

It was implied earlier on the watchespn broadcast. The only thing I think they could fire at them is maybe losing some TV revenue.

It was implied earlier on the watchespn broadcast. The only thing I think they could fire at them is maybe losing some TV revenue.

I think ESPN said there was going to be a press conference. I think that I just saw that they Penn St won't get a portion of the bowl revenue, maybe that was their punishment.

There will be a financial crater where Penn State once stood. The $60MM is like 3% of their endowment, plus you factor in lost future revenue, whatever the Big10 hands down, and of course the millions that the victims will get.

I would be pissed if a was a Penn taxpayer.

They essentially shut down the program for 4 years. Recruiting will be a nonexistant for the next 2 or 3, before they get the opportunity to pickup again in the 4th year. I don't think a lot of kids want to go to a school where they aren't going to have the chance to play for a bowl appearance or a championship. I also expect the school to do some things internally that may stifle the program.

They essentially shut down the program for 4 years. Recruiting will be a nonexistant for the next 2 or 3, before they get the opportunity to pickup again in the 4th year. I don't think a lot of kids want to go to a school where they aren't going to have the chance to play for a bowl appearance or a championship. I also expect the school to do some things internally that may stifle the program.

We'll see.

Actually, shutting down the program for one year would have been a weaker punishment.

People keep saying the SC bounced back easily. $C has been appealing for 2 years, so that schollie hit doesn't really start until this year (as I understand it).

Penn St will be irrelevant for at least a decade.

I don't get vacating the wins (especially for 14 seasons). It's not like they were playing ineligible players giving an unfair advantage.

As far as scholarship reductions are concerned, they got the same thing USC did just one more year, and USC is expected to contend for the MNC this year. The bowl/postseason ban is another matter because it's 2 years more than what USC got, so this will probably affect them mostly in the first couple of years, but in a year or 2 the recruiting will likely to start to recover because at that point the incoming kids will be eligible to play in the postseason in their 3rd and/or 4th years.

People keep saying the SC bounced back easily. $C has been appealing for 2 years, so that schollie hit doesn't really start until this year (as I understand it).

Penn St will be irrelevant for at least a decade.

Several years ago, people said that USC's penalties would be crippling.

I would have liked to have seen everything this scandal touched (no pun intended) shut down for a significant period of time coupled with bowl bans and fines and such. After say five years or so, they would apply with the NCAA to reinstate whatever was shut down. In such application they would need to demonstrate the systems and controls in place for something like this (or any other different offenses) to never happen again. Furthermore, they should be put on some type probation after reinstatement (for say 10-20 years), where if any significant violations occur you could say goodbye to D1 athletics entirely at PSU.

It seems to me this was not just a football issue. This was an AD (as a whole) and university issue. Everything should be punished. A message should have been sent in a very punitive way.

PSU football has plenty of support and they will recover quickly from this. These types of sanctions did absolutely nothing to USC. At this point USC is encouraged to cheat.

Isn't the NCAA considering dropping total scholarships from 85 to 80? If they do that, it will help PSU a little.

One aspect of this that bugs me is, "How can the NCAA act so quickly and decisively in this case, yet drag other investigations (USC, Miami, Oregon) on forever?" This, PSU, is the way they should do things. Quick and to the point. Stop pissing around.

The situations aren't the same IMO. PSU doesn't recruit to the same effect as USC anyway. Additionally, there is a far more debilitating stigma attached to the transgressions at PSU. Finally, there is a huge financial component to all this that is going to play out over the next couple years.

I don't think PSU will be down for very long - but I also think the punishment was quite harsh. I wouldn't have complained if it was harsher, but this is going to be tough for them to handle.

It stuns me that people keep forgetting that the USC just started their 3 year schollie sanction. The bowl ban is over, and they are still enjoying the depth they have PRIOR to the scholarship sanctions beginning. They will have a major dropoff next year after all of those starters are gone and they have vastly reduced depth. Their quality of athlete coming in is amazing, which I won't argue, but the quantity is where they are going to be taking it in the shorts.

Penn St also doesn't recruit like USC. They are not surrounded by top college prospects.

Back