What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

While Pennsylvania isn't quite Cali, Florida or Texas....they have some talent.

They do have some, but you figure that they would have to rely on local players mostly. Is there enough to build a team?

The difference between USC and Penn State is simple: much more likely Penn State will be passed up by schools in their conference.

The $60 million fine is cump change for Penn State. The loss of the schlorships will hurt more than anything, but again considering that this was the biggest disgrace in the history of college athletics. A coverup that included the head football coach, the administrators and the president of the university - Penn State got off easy. They should have got the death penalty. The NCAA shows again why it needs to go.

Actually, shutting down the program for one year would have been a weaker punishment.
Absolutely not, they would have lost alot more than $60 million, and the current players would have transferred. They would be starting from scratch.
Taking away the wins is pure BS - smoke and mirrors.

Absolutely not, they would have lost alot more than $60 million, and the current players would have transferred. They would be starting from scratch.

You don't think the current players aren't going to transfer anyway?

Incorrect. More players will transfer with this punishment.

How much money are the 4 bowl games worth? Add that to the $60,000,000. What about television revenue? I'm sure they'll lose a big chunk of that as well. Oh, and what will the law suits amount to? I've heard upwards of $100,000,000.

I agree with Duff, I think it would be weaker. Only way I would have used the death penalty is added it to everything else. I think the money, for Penn St anyway, is nothing. There really is no comarison, in alot of ways, between smu and penn st.

I like this punishment because it spreads out everything over time. If you shut it down for a year, then in 2 years you get that image of the player holding hands walking out to a raucous stadium as the team is the feel good story of getting through this tough tragedy that was inflicted upon them - the football team.

You don't get that with this. This is a long, torturous punishment which is going to be felt over the next 4 - 7 years

How much money are the 4 bowl games worth? Add that to the $60,000,000. What about television revenue? I'm sure they'll lose a big chunk of that as well. Oh, and what will the law suits amount to? I've heard upwards of $100,000,000.

They estimated $13 million for the bowl games which would also go to charities

Good point Dbt, they will lose way more than 60 million. How many will pass up the school altogether, athletes or not, because of this scandal? Thats probably already started. The image of that school is gonna take awhile to repair.

The only reason they took away the wins is so that JoePa isnt on top of the all time wins list. Other than that it really means nothing.

I've been watching that thread, and they just don't get it. Which is really to be expected on some level.

Just for the legal fees. The cost to Penn State when this is said and done will be astronomical. I'm betting combination of law suits, fines, loss of revenue and donations will be closer to $1 Billion.

The $60 million fine is cump change for Penn State. The loss of the schlorships will hurt more than anything, but again considering that this was the biggest disgrace in the history of college athletics. A coverup that included the head football coach, the administrators and the president of the university - Penn State got off easy. They should have got the death penalty. The NCAA shows again why it needs to go.

Its gonna be a long, long time PSU will ever be relevant again. This stain on the school will take decades to undo. The whole notion of an independent Athletic Department is probably history. The new academic administration will be redone with the mission of cleaning up and keeping it clean. After the sanctions pass whatever they decide to implement will be well established.

I bet they are gonna go all CU on the AD; the next coach or two will be so clean you could use his piss for mouth wash.

Between PA, OH, mid-Atlantic states, and NJ? Absolutely.

There's now a great opportunity for programs like Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Rutgers and Maryland. But they're all kind of a mess. I expect that Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan will pick off all the top guys and that Penn State will continue to land most of the rest of who they want.

An interesting little side note that I hadn't seen before link referenced from the bottom of the Wikipedia page on the Penn State Scandal.

Apparently the university's insurance company has filed a case asking the court to limit it's responsibilty in the case.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-01/news/31013283_1_jerry-sandusky-penn-state-insurance

Penn State has countersued to force coverage

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20120216/NEWS06/120219912?tags=|306|338|68|75|76|302

Either way as soon as the civil cases move into federal court the damages are going to go far above what the limits on the insurance are anyways but it would be interesting to see PSU end up on the hook for the entire thing. It would also send a little shiver through a lot of athletic departments and university administrations if the court rules in favor of the insurance company and says that when you have ongoing systematic criminal activity within the organization the insurance company isn't liable for the damages.

I agree with Duff, I think it would be weaker. Only way I would have used the death penalty is added it to everything else. I think the money, for Penn St anyway, is nothing. There really is no comarison, in alot of ways, between smu and penn st.

Yeah that's what I wanted. I thought PENN ST football should've went dark this year along with all the penalties the NCAA handed out today.

There's now a great opportunity for programs like Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Rutgers and Maryland. But they're all kind of a mess. I expect that Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan will pick off all the top guys and that Penn State will continue to land most of the rest of who they want.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Nebraska one of the big winners out of this. I'd expect to see them make a big time push into recruiting Pennsylvania now that they are shifting to more of a mid-west / east coast focus. You can also probably start playing the "Welcome back" music for Pitt.

I think this is just the beginning of an ugly legal saga. There are many alumni who think that PSU's President didnt ask the Board of Trustees for approval of the acceptance of penalties and didnt have the authority to enter in to an agreement.

Here is what I think happened:

NCAA knew they were on shaky ground to punish by the letter of their law. They are NOT on shaky ground to expel them by violating the NCAA constitution because it requires a moral and ethical standard that was violated. Therefore, the NCAA said.... accept these penalties or we will expel you from the NCAA so you cant play any of these teams that volunteered to be in the organization....

so when the PSU Board of trustees find this out (in my opinion), they will realize that the PSU president did not have much choice but to enter in to this agreement and MOVE ON....

Just a guess.

Back