What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Apparently, the number one prerequisite with RG is stability so I wouldn't be surprised when this is real next year that EB's name pops back up again. I think its almost a foregone conclusion EB is not getting a HC job in the NFL.

I am not a fan at all of doing this or even having the discussion but we know RG will because he just doesn't care. He wants someone who will be his security blanket until he retires.

It could possibly work if EB is his own OC, bring in a CEO type to help with day-to-day operations, and then go pay big bucks for a DC.

EB would represent yet another change in direction and identity for this program. Hard pass for me. Really would prefer somebody who is a coordinator with solid recruiting connections at an SEC or B1G school.
I don't why anyone would want that after the debacle with Embree and Dorrell. That's really not the question.

However, the same AD will be making the hire next year (if it happens) and he has made it very clear what his priority is with a head coach. My biggest hope of all hopes is that the new president comes in and cleans house with the Chancellor, AD, and head football coach and makes it clear that football is finally a priority. That's a wild dream though.

I don't why anyone would want that after the debacle with Embree and Dorrell. That's really not the question.

However, the same AD will be making the hire next year (if it happens) and he has made it very clear what his priority is with a head coach. My biggest hope of all hopes is that the new president comes in and cleans house with the Chancellor, AD, and head football coach and makes it clear that football is finally a priority. That's a wild dream though.
Football doesn’t need to be a priority for the new President. What needs to be a priority is elevating the status of all programs and departments at CU-Boulder. What I want from the next President is a commitment to improve the overall strength and standing of the Boulder campus. The first step in that process is finding a Chancellor who is more than a spineless sycophant.

Apparently, the number one prerequisite with RG is stability so I wouldn't be surprised when this is real next year that EB's name pops back up again. I think its almost a foregone conclusion EB is not getting a HC job in the NFL.

I am not a fan at all of doing this or even having the discussion but we know RG will because he just doesn't care. He wants someone who will be his security blanket until he retires.

It could possibly work if EB is his own OC, bring in a CEO type to help with day-to-day operations, and then go pay big bucks for a DC.
It looks like RG has his security blanket in HCKD. He just got a five year extension as AD and he is going to cruise into retirement. I highly doubt he has any motivation at all to make a HC change. That could be why he locked CU into a ridiculous contract with HCKD.

Prepare for an all out "give HCKD time", "fans need to be patient", "he needs to recruit his own guys", "any head coach deserves five years" and similar crap to justify staying the course.

Unless HCKD can miraculously do what he has yet to do at any college program as HC, make it better than when he got there, CU will be in a hole that may take years to climb out of, if that is even possible at that point.

You have to go back to KD's tenure as OC under Neuheisel at CU and UW to find a place where KD was successful as a coordinator. His stint at UCLA was just a little bit less successful than his predecessor, Bob Toledo, and his one year as OC at Vandy was a disaster.

I was hoping his past as pretty much a caretaker coach would mean he would take a team that had recently been on the cusp of bowl eligibility and bounce between 5-7 to 7-5 records. I just am not seeing it. The Buffs aren't just losing, they are not even competitive against anybody in D1 except Arizona. The aTm game was an outlier, and now that they have their back up QB worked up, I really doubt CU could hang with them the way they did early in the season. No way to know for sure.

Perhaps Washington is winnable, but unless something changes drastically, 2-3 wins is what CU will be looking at.

Next year will be tough as the OOC schedule is pretty stout. CU needs an infusion of depth and talent, and HCKD, historically, is probably least equipped to bring that to the roster.

TL;DR It's bad and not likely to improve much for a long while.

It looks like RG has his security blanket in HCKD. He just got a five year extension as AD and he is going to cruise into retirement. I highly doubt he has any motivation at all to make a HC change. That could be why he locked CU into a ridiculous contract with HCKD.

Prepare for an all out "give HCKD time", "fans need to be patient", "he needs to recruit his own guys", "any head coach deserves five years" and similar crap to justify staying the course.

Unless HCKD can miraculously do what he has yet to do at any college program as HC, make it better than when he got there, CU will be in a hole that may take years to climb out of, if that is even possible at that point.

You have to go back to KD's tenure as OC under Neuheisel at CU and UW to find a place where KD was successful as a coordinator. His stint at UCLA was just a little bit less successful than his predecessor, Bob Toledo, and his one year as OC at Vandy was a disaster.

I was hoping his past as pretty much a caretaker coach would mean he would take a team that had recently been on the cusp of bowl eligibility and bounce between 5-7 to 7-5 records. I just am not seeing it. The Buffs aren't just losing, they are not even competitive against anybody in D1 except Arizona. The aTm game was an outlier, and now that they have their back up QB worked up, I really doubt CU could hang with them the way they did early in the season. No way to know for sure.

Perhaps Washington is winnable, but unless something changes drastically, 2-3 wins is what CU will be looking at.

Next year will be tough as the OOC schedule is pretty stout. CU needs an infusion of depth and talent, and HCKD, historically, is probably least equipped to bring that to the roster.

TL;DR It's bad and not likely to improve much for a long while.
Fans need to respond to that vocally and with empty seats.

I hate to agree, but that is the only thing left for fans.
It should be blindingly obvious to everyone (media, CU leadership) that the fans are unwilling to put up with the status quo for any longer. That message needs to come across loud and clear.

EB is a giant risk at the collegiate level. Flamed out in his previous stint and has been in the NFL for the past decade. There are questions around how he interacts with players and how that plays at the collegiate level vs paid, grown men at the NFL level. He has a few "controversies" in his past that could be scrutinized by media if so inclined. There are definitely questions around how much influence he's had in KC and how he's surrounded by possibly the best playcaller in the NFL (Andy Reid) and best QB in the league. What connections does he have in college to build a staff? Lots of unknowns with EB
Agree totally. I think EB very well might be a train wreck as a HC. I do think that some program makes him an offer in the future however.

this quote is from Bruce Feldman at The Athletic (lifted from another MB, I don't have a sub)

"Fuente also has what has been described by sources as 'frosty relationships' with key people at Tech. Word is, this could be Billy Napier from Louisiana's job next year."

I hadn't watched the video until now. Why does he get SO upset? And to answer his last question, Andy Reid and Sean Payton aren't being asked because the former Heisman Trophy winning USC QB (Carson Palmer) didn't bring up their names in connection to the USC job. This honestly makes me think he/his agent have definitely been contacted or are in talks about it

I hadn't watched the video until now. Why does he get SO upset? And to answer his last question, Andy Reid and Sean Payton aren't being asked because the former Heisman Trophy winning USC QB (Carson Palmer) didn't bring up their names in connection to the USC job. This honestly makes me think he/his agent have definitely been contacted or are in talks about it

I think he is genuinely feeling disrespected by the question. He’s a super bowl champion coach. Tomlin is not going to USC.

Yes and no. I don't think he's going to USC, but I could see him leaving the Steelers for another NFL gig.
How often does an NFL coach leave his job for another NFL job? I can’t think of a single instance since Parcells left the Patriots for the Jets job in the mid 90’s. I’m not counting guys like Andy Reid or Ron Rivera who were fired and hired by another team for the next season, but guys who resigned from one NFL HC job to take another.

How often does an NFL coach leave his job for another NFL job? I can’t think of a single instance since Parcells left the Patriots for the Jets job in the mid 90’s. I’m not counting guys like Andy Reid or Ron Rivera who were fired and hired by another team for the next season, but guys who resigned from one NFL HC job to take another.
Mike Holmgren, although worth noting he left from a HC in GB to a HC + GM + VP role in Seattle.

When you compare it to other jobs in the region (including jobs outside the SEC), you realize what a tough spot they are in.

They do have great support for a program that has only won 1 SEC East title and had a good 3-year run under Spurrier but that's it.

Back