What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Mel Tucker relentlessly made this point.
Happy Hour Reaction GIF

getting rid of Lake seems like a smart move

immediately hiring Wilcox without a coaching search, ehhhhhh

I do think Wilcox is a better coach than his record indicates. Winning at Cal is hard, but if I'm a UW fan, I'm not psyched about trading one guy that hired the worst OC ever for another guy that also can't do offense. Plus Wilcox seems to be trending down after a strong years 2 and 3. Hard to factor in covid, but UW might look mighty similar if he whiffs on OC

getting rid of Lake seems like a smart move

immediately hiring Wilcox without a coaching search, ehhhhhh

I do think Wilcox is a better coach than his record indicates. Winning at Cal is hard, but if I'm a UW fan, I'm not psyched about trading one guy that hired the worst OC ever for another guy that also can't do offense. Plus Wilcox seems to be trending down after a strong years 2 and 3. Hard to factor in covid, but UW might look mighty similar if he whiffs on OC
You sure about the bolded as a Buff fan?

Mack was unique. In his prime he was a salesman. He knew how to schmooze the big cigars, and how to recruit talent to UT. He did it in his first stint at UNC. Dude can sell ( i.e. recruit). He was an just an above average FB coach. Witness his refusal to let Major Applewhite play instead of Chris Simms, or how long it took him to figure out he needed to let Vince Young just play, instead of trying to shoehorn him into the offense.

That being said, Mack was UT's Coach Mac. UT is not likely to do better. Give Sark time, though and they will be pretty good again. Problem is, they are now in the SEC. They can't just gear up for OU and aTm as their only real competition like the good ol' days.
I don't know that he was even an above average FB coach.

What he was though was as you correctly state an elite salesman. He was also very good at finding and managing his assistants (who actually did most of the coaching.)

I don't know that he was even an above average FB coach.

What he was though was as you correctly state an elite salesman. He was also very good at finding and managing his assistants (who actually did most of the coaching.)
I was being generous. But he was a lot like Coach Mac, he had the confidence and ability to surround himself with top flight assistants. He succeeded because of it. Having the UT checkbook come hiring time did not hurt.

Most coaches are not schematic geniuses, despite what they would have you believe.

Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting.
Funny thing is that Kirby is the first one to tell us this - and he may be the best defensive scheme guy in our game. But folks continue to believe delusions.

These programs that win 9+ games every year? As good as we think they are, they're better. Overwhelming talent with the best infrastructure and coaches who are at the top of the profession.

He's the only reason Cal hasn't turned into Kansas. People in touch with things like Wilner know this.

I mean, is there anything besides "Cal" that would explain Dykes failing there?
Two points on this-
1) Jeff Tedford had a hell of a run at Cal. He was there 11 years, took them to bowls 8 times, and won 10 games twice. I would guess he understood he had to find a way to work with the academics.....so here's the point-you can win there. They won't win a Natty, but Tedford showed its possible to me.
2) Dykes can win at a place where he can get whatever recruits he wants. That's why he's done pretty well at LA Tech and SMU. That's also why he's entertaining TCU right now.

Wilcox has never been able to find the right OC there-and that's a question for me if I'm the AD at Washington and I'm looking at him.

Two points on this-
1) Jeff Tedford had a hell of a run at Cal. He was there 11 years, took them to bowls 8 times, and won 10 games twice. I would guess he understood he had to find a way to work with the academics.....so here's the point-you can win there. They won't win a Natty, but Tedford showed its possible to me.
2) Dykes can win at a place where he can get whatever recruits he wants. That's why he's done pretty well at LA Tech and SMU. That's also why he's entertaining TCU right now.

Wilcox has never been able to find the right OC there-and that's a question for me if I'm the AD at Washington and I'm looking at him.
Cal seriously relaxed admissions and academics for athletes during the Tedford era. Currently, in a situation to which CU folks will sympathize, they're facing a long-term academic overreaction in addition to financial issues.

Cal seriously relaxed admissions and academics for athletes during the Tedford era. Currently, in a situation to which CU folks will sympathize, they're facing a long-term academic overreaction in addition to financial issues.
That I did not know. I wonder if they brought in DeBoer (because of the Tedford ties).......could they pull that off again?

Back