What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

It's weird that most every other program in the country - from Notre Dame to CSMoo - is able to fire/hire coaches in a matter of days, and CU takes their sweet time. Guess we really are better than all of the rest!!
IT's all about the process. Do your due diligence and the results will be superior...or not.

The Update of the Update

Open jobs:

Virginia- Bronco Mendenhall leaves on his own accord. (h/t Jens)

FIU- Butch Davis is a gonna hang it up at the end of the year and retire.

UMASS- Fires their HC, (h/t BCS) Walt Bell out. (h/t DeNiro) AZ DC Don Brown a top name. (h/t DeNiro)

Idaho- Paul Petrino out. (h/t SewallBeach)

Maine- HC Nick Charlton going to UCONN as OC. (h/t DeNiro)

Temple- HC Rod Carey out (h/t DeNiro)

Akron-Tom Arth out (h/t DeNiro).

Duke- David Cutcliffe reaches an agreement to depart (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Jason Garrett a name (h/t DeNiro)

Secondary Market-

Nevada- Jay Norvell off to Ft. Collins.

Oregon- Mario Cristobal offered extension (h/t Carolina), but declines to take his talents to South Beach, err, Coral Gables (h/t Alfred91 ) Chip Kelly 2.0? (h/t BCS) Kilani Sitake interviewing (h/t CU Aviator)

Filled Jobs:

ND- Another heavyweight. Brian Kelly kicks Lucky the Leprechaun in the nuts and leaves with little to no notice. (h/t Jens, BCS, Carolina) DC Bryan Freeman, gets the gig (h/t DeNiro)

OU- Riley off to LA. , Brent Venables, in (h/t CUAviator Serenity Jens and DeNiro) Ole Miss OC Jeff Lebby to follow.

LSU- Ed O out. (h/t Carolina Buff), apparently when Ed O isn't covering up sexual assaults and turning in unsatisfactory W-L records, he is propositioning random women at gas stations, unfortunately, the last lady of the pump was an LSU muckety-muck's wife. (h/t 14er). Ed O's buyout is $17M (h/t Creebuzz), In a surprising move ND HC Brian Kelly goes to the bayou. (h/t Jens BCS and Carolina).

UW- Jimmy Lake fired. (h/t DeNiro, Serenity, Duff) $9.9Million payout. Kalen DeBoer, fmr. Fresno St. HC named HC (h/t DeNiro and BuffBronco)

USC- The big one. (h/t Deniro, also check Jens' USC Fires Clay Helton and Lincoln Riley megathreads). Mike Bohn swipes Lincoln Riley from OU (h/t Jens) DC Alex Grinch comes along (h/t Serenity/DeNiro), Kliff Kingsbury (h/t Jens), maybe Leach (h/t Jalapeno) UPDATE: DL Coach So'to out. (h/t Serenity)

Miami- Manny Diaz fired (h/t Slider) Mario Christobal (h/t Alfred91) in.

Florida- Dan Mullen is out. (h/t CUAviator) Greg Know interim (h/ DeNiro) Billy Napier, Louisiana HC hired (h/t Carolina/DeNiro)

VT- Hokie dances in the streets, Justin Fuente shown the door (h/t Jens). (h/t DeNiro) PSU DC Brent Fry is the guy.

Ohio- Tim Albin gets the job (h/t ahoelsken).

Louisiana- Napier off to Gainesville, Michael Desormeaux hired from within (h/t DeNiro)

Georgia Southern- Bold move and hired Clay Helton (h/t Alabaster Yak)

Texas Tech- Bailer AHC and LB coach Joey McGuire hired (h/t DeNiro) OC Sonny Cumbie retained (h/t DeNiro), WKU OC Zach Kittley the new OC (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Tim DeRuyter in as DC (h/t slider).

UCONN- Randy Edsall, Out. (h/t Deniro) Fmr. UCLA HC Jim Mora in (h/t DeNiro and CUAViator)UPDATE: Maine HC tagging along as OC (h/t DeNiro)

TCU- Gary Patterson gets the heave ho. (h/t BCS and Duff). TCU does a coaching drive by on SMU and snatches up Sonny Dykes. (h/t Carolina) A little bit of insider flavor, had a sit down with some TCU insiders over Thanksgiving, Patterson was told to rearrange his staff and let some AC's go, he declined, in a, shall we say, colorful manner. Two days later he was fired unceremoniously. Overplayed his hand.

SMU- Wastes no time hiring Rhett Lashlee, fmr. Miami OC (h/t DenIro)

WSU- Nick Rolovich fired for cause over vaccination status. (h/t BCS) Interim Jake Dickert in (h/t Sewall)

NMSU- Doug Martin out. (h/t DeNiro) Jerry Kill seizes the job (h/t Carolina)

Jacksonville St.- Fmr, WVU, Michigan, AZ HC, and ULM OC Rich Rodriguez gets the gig (h/t DeNiro)

La Tech- Skip Holtz fired (h/t DeNiro) Sonny Cumbie in as HC.

Troy- No the other one, Chip Lindsey out (h/t DeNiro) Kentucky co-DC Jon Sumrall in (h/t DeNiro)

CSewe- Steve Addazio does not abide (h/t Serenity) Jay Norvell in (h/t Pate and Slider) UPDATE: 5 years, 9 mill. (h/t Jens)

Fresno State- DeBoer to UW, Tedford back for round 2 (h/t Jens

Possibles:

Utah- Kyle Whittingham rumored to be contemplating retirement. (h/t Nik)

BGSU- Scot Loeffler, depsite pantsing PJ Fleck, may be on his way out. CDSS

Tulsa- Phillip Montgomery living on borrowed Tulsa time. CDSS.

ASU- Herm Edwards has some pretty flagrant stuff hanging over his head, hard to believe it doesn't cost him. Herm stays (h/t DeNiro)

N. Texas- Seth Littrell siting at about .500 UNT rolls UTSA, job saver?

UNLV- Arroyo 0-12. (h/t ahoelsken)

kNU- Frosty probably done before the end of the year according to Steve Sipple. Not so fast my friend, trev Alberts restructures Frosty's contract and announces he will be back for 2022 (h/t DeNiro) OC Matt Lubick, OL Greg Austin, RB Ryan Held, and QB Mario Verduzco sacrificed that Frosty may coach another day. No word on if Herbie has been put on an ice floe. UPDATE: Mark Whipple hired as QB/OC (h/t MKBuffs)

Other news:

Oregon St.- DC Tim Tibesar fired for failing to adequately defend the Beaver. (h/t DeNiro) Jonathon Smith extended to 2027 (h/t nik)

Urban Meyer- Gets his freak on after visiting the grand kids.

Mizzou- fires DL coach midseason, an impossibility I am told. (h/t Deniro)

Okie Lite- Gundy leverages a perpetual extension (h/t AlbasterYak)

James Franklin- James Franklin gets paid, bigly, 10 years, 7.5 mill per. (h/t Jens)

CU - Coach Rod fired, now embarking on second career in ebay sales. OC Darrin Cheviarini out. (h/t Carolina)

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

UT- Jeff Banks dispatching his stripper GF and her monkey on the recruiting trail (h/t Jens)

Minny- PJ Fleck gets a bigger boat to row with an extension and raise (h/t Albaster yak) PJ Fleck's contract is upped to $5Million, 7 years. (h/t DeNiro) OC Mike Sanford tossed out of the boat. (h/t DeNiro)

No. Ill.- HC Thomas Hammock extended (h/t DeNiro)

Nasser St.- Melvin Huckster takes down a new contract $8million a year (h/t Serenity)

Illinois- DC Ryan Walters extended

Miami- AD Blake James out (h/t DeNiro)

USF- DC Jeff Scott served up on a platter (h/t DeNiro)

BUYOUTS- A staggering $80.6 million so far (h/t Hawg1) That is the equivalent to 6 and one-half minutes of federal spending.

Liberty- Extends Hugh Freeze, $4Mill per. (h/t Serenity)

Bailer- Aranda extended (h/t ahoelsken)

Wake- Extends Clawson (h/t Carolina)

Indiana- fires OC (h/t DenIro) HC Tom Allen takes pay cut for underperforming, now there's an idea.

GT- fires OC Pateneude, CB Popovich, S Burns Chip Long as OC. (h/t DeNiro)

KU-DL coack Drake and CB coach Jackson out. (h/t slider)

BC- Jeff Hafley extended (h/t AlbasterYak)

Auburn- Mike Bobo is nono longer the OC (h/t Carolina)

Kentucky- Mark Stoops extended (h/t Albaster Yak)

ECU- Mike Houston extended (h/t DeNiro)

KjSU- AC's Courtney Messingham OC, and Jason Ray FB/TE out (h/t Deniro)

Ole Miss- Lane Kiffin extended (h/t DeNiro)

Lots of work, if I missed anybody on the h/t's, sorry.

Last edited:
That is exactly my point as well.

Where we disagree is that calling US Healthcare "Free Market Capitalism" is a complete misnomer. US Healthcare is a hidden shell game of lobbyist driven revenue that is the reason the American Middle class is suffering 20-25 years of wage stagnation. The carriers have gotten control of the market and are making millions by hiding the pricing of goods and services in the healthcare industry.

Ask yourself why United Healthcare's stock price has gone up 853% since Obamacare passed. Ask yourself why we are less than 5% of the world's population, but we make up 51% of Big Pharma's profits. We are funding the single payer markets around the world.

It is a scam that makes the Saving and Loan Crisis look like child's play.

Ever wonder why your doctor's visit averages less than 10 minutes? Why do we lead the world in chronic conditions or why our life expectancy is going down? It is all part of the same problem and government involvement is the problem not the solution.

Please don't recite single payer or Medicare for all BS because those will certainly make the problem worse. There are REAL free market solutions that actually do work, however.

Don't get me started!!
You are completely correct and there are a lot of parallels between pro sport and health in the US.

In pro sports the NFL is the whale in the room. Sports media is built around the year around monster that is the NFL from pre-season through the super bowl then moving immediately into the draft, free agency, off-season work and back into training camps. A network isn't a significant player without NFL content and they make money that dwarfs the other leagues.

In health care we have a single dominant player as well being the federal government. About 68% of the population is covered by private insurance but that private insurance only pays about 33% of all expenditures. This is because the people covered under these plans tend to be on average younger and healthier.

In contrast in terms of dollar payments about 53% is paid through various federal government programs including Medicare, Medicaid, tri-care, and programs for military and federal workers. This does not include state and local level programs that are not funded by federal funds.

In the sport media world everything revolves around the NFL, in the healthcare world everything revolves around complying with the way the feds do things.

Any time you have an industry with a single dominant player market forces get twisted beyond recognition.

Adding to that, in part because of the complexity created by the federal customer the private market has fallen into a situation where almost all of the private insurance ends up billed through a small number of companies with the resources to make it work. The barriers to entry are high enough that additional competition is unlikely.

In sports leagues like the NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc make significant money until you look at the NFL money and those leagues know who has the power.

And they don't work in a "free market."

I know others have said the same, but I am simply baffled by having to entertain the notion CSewe hired better than CU did. I have never, not even once, given a thought about CU not having a far superior staff. CSewe hiring Norvell has me plumbing the catacombs of the dark recesses of my mind. What's next clowns? Oh, already there. Spiders?

Am I the only one who would not trade Norvell straight up for HCKD?
I guess I do not understand your reasoning. Is it because CSU is a G5 school and CU is P5? Many G5 coaches become P5 coaches and some are successful. We hired both Hawkins and McIntyre from G5 schools (do not work out). Just because a person is coaching at CU does not necessarily make them a better coach automatically than a coach somewhere else. I am not sure about the "... far superior staff. " comment. CU had a totally incompetent OL coach this year and a very questionable OC. We have a thread on this board calling for the firing of HCKD so it is not a leap to imagining Norvell would look more attractive to some fans than KD.

Last edited:
I guess I do not understand your reasoning. Is it because CSU is a G5 school and CU is P5? Many G5 coaches become P5 coaches and some are successful. We hired both Hawkins and McIntyre from G5 schools (do not work out). Just because a person is coaching at CU does not necessarily make them a better coach automatically than a coach somewhere else. I am not sure about the "... far superior staff. " comment. CU had a totally incompetent OL coach this year and a very questionable OC. We have a thread on this board calling for the firing of HCKD so it is not a leap to imagining Norvell would look more attractive to some fans than KD.
Fair. I cannot think of a time where I would not trade CU's staff for CSU's. NotSure reminded me of the McElwain vs. Embree era, and I am hard pressed on that one. Even the HCKD staff of this past year was, IMO, better than the Dude and crew. Norvell is a pretty good coach IMO, and I think, for the first time, I would consider trading Norvell for HCKD, straight up. It is an imprecise thing, and probably driven by my deep desire to see CUFB return to something respectable.

I am equally sure my opinions are not fully informed. Inevitably, someone, somewhere will say, yeah, well what would you do? To those persons, I say, pay me a million a year and I will tell you.

Bottom line, I am just a fan, and an alum. But I am the kind of person CU FB has to sell. They are not giving me much reason to buy.

Outside of McCartney and Barnett, the same can be said of CU.

girls look GIF

Outside of McCartney and Barnett, the same can be said of CU.
Right, but it's all relative. CSU has had bad coaching staffs at the G5 level while CU has had bad coaching staffs at the P5 level.

Steve Fairchild at CSU went 1-2 against Hawkins and 0-1 against Embree
Jim McElwain went 1-0 vs Embree and 1-1 vs MacIntyre
Mike Bobo went 0-4 vs MacIntyre and 0-1 vs Tucker
Addazio never coached a game vs CU, but are you really taking him over Dorrell?

Point being, outside of maybe McElwain, which CSU coaches and staffs would you really want over any of the CU staffs, (outside of Embree) including Hawkins and Dorrell? The answer is none. Mike ****ing MacIntyre coaches circles around 3 of 4 of them.

I'll go you one better, if CU could have picked up a 3rd and 1, the game has a different outcome and he probably would still be the HC. So, one yard did him in.
Hell, if troy brown stays in bounds on our last play before the fg that made it 34-28, osu is trying a hail mary from around the 35 yard line instead of scoring with 10 seconds left.

but seriously, we go 3-9 in 2019 if mikemac had not gotten canned, so he would have been canned after that anyway.

but seriously, we go 3-9 in 2019 if mikemac had not gotten canned, so he would have been canned after that anyway.
Nope. If FHCMM would have gotten that 1 extra win, he'd have gone 6-6, made a bowl, and bolted for a different HC job. The relationship between him and RG was at an end and MM had his agent shopping. The big difference is that instead of CU firing him & owing that huge contract settlement, another school would have been paying CU some buyout money.

Back