What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Calhoun - Head Coach at Air Force

There you go doing your drive by Duffing again. The HC has to have an appeal (MT's was off the charts, for example). We do not know how TC will come off when not at a service academy. Given how little direct interaction the HC has with recruits relative to the position coaches.....I think the truth is not quite that it "starts and Ends with the HC". You are convinced he will suck as a recruiter. I am willing to wait and see.....cause frankly, that's my only choice (or quit caring) if they hire TC

The coach sets the tone for recruiting. He holds his assistants accountable and approves all commits/commitable offers.

An unpopular take but I would like to see Calhoun if not Sark. Since I’ll get ripped apart I’ll just tee it up with a list of why.
1. He’s a tenured coach of a service academy and a service veteran, he would instill a similar message of loyalty, hard work trust etc. as MT.
2. He is well connected and respected in Colorado, for obvious reasons this will help our instate recruiting.
3. Seeing as he’s currently an option guy and spent time in the NFL running a PA-run heavy O with Kubiak. This leads me to believe he would run a power run offense here- let’s run Clayton, mangham and Fontenout all day.
4. A big point people have had is his staff won’t be amazing- to that I say have you guys seen the bull**** we’ve had? RG has seen legit recruiting and I would bet it’s something he’s looking for again.

The coach sets the tone for recruiting. He holds his assistants accountable and approves all commits/commitable offers.
Okay, we are in total agreement on this. What makes you so convinced that Troy Calhoun will not do this to the level we want/need?

Is the "disciplined team" aspect of Calhoun really a Calhoun thing or is it an Air Force cadet thing?
It's both. And frankly, I would be scared ****less if I thought he would come in here and have the same expectations for kids at CU that he does at AFA....we will be properly ****ed if that's the case.

An unpopular take but I would like to see Calhoun if not Sark. Since I’ll get ripped apart I’ll just tee it up with a list of why.
1. He’s a tenured coach of a service academy and a service veteran, he would instill a similar message of loyalty, hard work trust etc. as MT.
2. He is well connected and respected in Colorado, for obvious reasons this will help our instate recruiting.
3. Seeing as he’s currently an option guy and spent time in the NFL running a PA-run heavy O with Kubiak. This leads me to believe he would run a power run offense here- let’s run Clayton, mangham and Fontenout all day.
4. A big point people have had is his staff won’t be amazing- to that I say have you guys seen the bull**** we’ve had? RG has seen legit recruiting and I would bet it’s something he’s looking for again.

You filled my whole bingo card!

I am choosing to believe this smoke is all an effort to press our preferred target into a decision in the next 30 hours or so. Don’t allow your guy (Sark, Wilcox, etc) to use us as leverage for a better deal with their current employer, but if they are make sure they know there’s a ticking clock.
Or to distract "outside entities" that there is a safe choice option under consideration. Just sayin...

Because he has zero experience in doing so at age 53.
You could make a case that although he doesn’t have P5 recruiting experience that he has a unique experience. Convincing kids to join the service is a whole different can of worms. One could think he would be better at recruiting to CU than AFA. Plus it’s not like he wasn’t successful at AFA, they just went 11-2. Say what you want about competition level etc. - he still coached an 11-2 team

Air Force doesn't exactly pull the same kind of in-state recruits that CU typically does. And those that we've missed out on have gone onto bigger P5 teams, not AFA. Unsure how Calhoun's respect as the Air Force coach really plays into recruiting.

If Calhoun is the man, perhaps we get the football version of Tad Boyle? After just two bowl games since 2006, my expectations are simply to make a bowl game every season. We will eventually have some good seasons like 2016.

You could make a case that although he doesn’t have P5 recruiting experience that he has a unique experience. Convincing kids to join the service is a whole different can of worms. One could think he would be better at recruiting to CU than AFA. Plus it’s not like he wasn’t successful at AFA, they just went 11-2. Say what you want about competition level etc. - he still coached an 11-2 team

MM coached 10-win teams at two different schools.

Okay, we are in total agreement on this. What makes you so convinced that Troy Calhoun will not do this to the level we want/need?
Because service academy recruiting is night and day from P5 recruiting. It just is.

Because he has zero experience in doing so at age 53.
Fair. I think it's also fair to say that just because he hasn't done it at this level, doesn't mean he can't. He has done it at a G5 school, and he has spent enough time around NFL players during his stint in the league to know what a "big time" talent looks like. Some coaches are just natural evaluators....other suck at it. My optimistic side says that RG and LC would have a very direct discussion about this, and be convinced that TC has a very clear vision for what types of athletes he wants to see here. My pessimistic side says that he never has done and is too old to learn....and we're going right down the drain.

This position sucks, because I am defending the possibility of hiring a marginal candidate, who we would likely not have even considered had MT not have screwed us when he did. That said, It is what it is, and I am an optimist by nature.

Fair. I think it's also fair to say that just because he hasn't done it at this level, doesn't mean he can't. He has done it at a G5 school, and he has spent enough time around NFL players during his stint in the league to know what a "big time" talent looks like. Some coaches are just natural evaluators....other suck at it. My optimistic side says that RG and LC would have a very direct discussion about this, and be convinced that TC has a very clear vision for what types of athletes he wants to see here. My pessimistic side says that he never has done and is too old to learn....and we're going right down the drain.

This position sucks, because I am defending the possibility of hiring a marginal candidate, who we would likely not have even considered had MT not have screwed us when he did. That said, It is what it is, and I am an optimist by nature.

His redeeming qualities would be making marginal bowl games with lightly recruited players.

You just do not "learn" how to recruit at a high level in a P5 conference with so much experience at lower levels.

MM coached 10-win teams at two different schools.
True and I’m not saying I disagree with your notion completely (lol wouldn’t want you to think that because I realize my opinion is basically as valuable as they come..). I am also admittedly a sucker for a coach who comes from strict disciplined background.

The thing is he DOESN'T have to convince them. It is a different kid with a different mindset and different expectations of what they want and where they want to go. IT IS NIGHT AND DAY! Sorry, but I've seen it firsthand and I'm tired of the back and forth. Calhoun might be able to do it, but there would most definitely need to be a change in approach and a "ramp up" period and while that's happening, we lose players to other coaches who know the game.

True and I’m not saying I disagree with your notion completely (lol wouldn’t want you to think that because I realize my opinion is basically as valuable as they come..). I am also admittedly a sucker for a coach who comes from strict disciplined background.

I doubt we would be outright terrible under Calhoun, but he presents very clear limitations.

Back