What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Davis Webb (NOTHING - Cal Bound)

Which saga is better? Butch Jones or Davis Webb?

To me it is just another chapter in what has been a long, tedious ride. I hope in the end he decides to come to Boulder and make a difference. I think he has a better chance of doing that in Boulder than he would in the other places he is rumored to be looking into.

He was contacting recruits and when the players/coaches found out he was telling everyone he was the starter and told him to stop it pissed him off and be decided to visit Cal.
There has to be more to it than that. Sporaco and Van Diest, hell, most of the recruits twitter other recruits. I don't see them getting told to cease and desist. Maybe there is some sort of NCAA violation thing going on, I don't know.

What a web of lies.
My uncle Ted, CT Yankee that he was, spent much of his military service in the South and always warned me that Southern boys would sweet talk and flatter you, right up to the time they shove their knife in your back.....just sayin'

My uncle Ted, CT Yankee that he was, spent much of his military service in the South and always warned me that Southern boys would sweet talk and flatter you, right up to the time they shove their knife in your back.....just sayin'
this isn't, in general, untrue - and it goes for women too. there's nothing more disingenuous than a sweet southern belle showering you with pleasantries and then drying you off with a razor-laden towel.

You're confused

this isn't, in general, untrue - and it goes for women too. there's nothing more disingenuous than a sweet southern belle showering you with pleasantries and then drying you off with a razor-laden towel.

If there's any truth to the rumor that coaches told him to cool his heels on recruiting kids to CU because some current QB complained that Webb was saying he's the starter, I'll be livid. Doubly so if it's Gehrke (or his dad).

Frankly, CU could use some kids who (1) have that kind of confidence (2) want to be the starter and take the reins, and (3) are passionate enough to recruit other kids.

Sadly, out of all the rumors that I've heard, this one seems to make the most sense.

If there's any truth to the rumor that coaches told him to cool his heels on recruiting kids to CU because some current QB complained that Webb was saying he's the starter, I'll be livid. Doubly so if it's Gehrke (or his dad).

Frankly, CU could use some kids who (1) have that kind of confidence (2) want to be the starter and take the reins, and (3) are passionate enough to recruit other kids.

Sadly, out of all the rumors that I've heard, this one seems to make the most sense.
Makes the least sense to me.

Why would he tell recruits he's going to be the starter when he won't even be there when they show up? You know what, there are now way too many rumors and speculation in this story. I think the story is growing into a fable or something. I'd suggest it would be better to just chill out and see what happens than to keep trying to decipher all this stuff.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. Why would Webb be recruiting people who won't be here until 2017 by telling them he's the starter in 2016? This rumor doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. Why would Webb be recruiting people who won't be here until 2017 by telling them he's the starter in 2016? This rumor doesn't make any sense.

He helped lock down the big players that ended the '16 class. Maybe those are the recruits they are talking about.

It is a classic case of no one knows anything.

Davis Webb holds the cards and he has been radio silent since this whole mess started.
Few chances to blame the coaching staff are wasted. Reactions to the various rumors of Webb's fate are entertaining in a sadistic sort of way, at least.

I would imagine that Winfree signing here was impacted in some way by Webb. They seem to talk a decent amount.

Pretty sure he was involved with Bisharat too. If this mess was started by Gehrke/Gehrke's Dad, I am going to ****ing furious.

He started following Jaylon Jackson during his recruitment process, followed Mike Lee after he listed us in his top 5, follows Ray Robinson, Marchiol, Sparaco. It definitely seems like he was tying to help us recruit beyond his stay here.

Pretty sure he was involved with Bisharat too. If this mess was started by Gehrke/Gehrke's Dad, I am going to ****ing furious.
I have a hard time believe the coaching staff would give two ****s about what our 3rd (probably 4th) string QB and his dad thinks about Davis Webb. All accounts are that the staff spoke with Sefo about going after Webb, but I highly doubt they consulted Gherke, because they don't care about his opinion. Anyway, is there even anything substantial that would suggest Gherke had anything to do with these rumors? I don't want to pigeon hole him as a ****tard in my mind if this is only made up speculation on Allbuffs.

I have a hard time believe the coaching staff would give two ****s about what our 3rd (probably 4th) string QB and his dad thinks about Davis Webb. All accounts are that the staff spoke with Sefo about going after Webb, but I highly doubt they consulted Gherke, because they don't care about his opinion. Anyway, is there even anything substantial that would suggest Gherke had anything to do with these rumors? I don't want to pigeon hole him as a ****tard in my mind if this is only made up speculation on Allbuffs.

Just based on the "someone with ties to a current QB" line in that scout quote on the previous page. I know Gehrke's dad has a habit of being a helicopter parent so speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I'm pretty sure that everybody from national and local media to the hardcore fans and even coaches fully expect Davis Webb to be the starter here in 2016 (assuming he comes here). Anybody who doesn't believe that is either a current QB on the team, has a great friendship with a current QB on the team or hasn't been paying attention. I have zero problems with Webb assuming he's the starter here and telling other recruits that.

Just based on the "someone with ties to a current QB" line in that scout quote on the previous page. I know Gehrke's dad has a habit of being a helicopter parent so speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.
HCMM and Chev have the most to lose if Webb doesn't end up at CU. Why would they bow to pressure from the parent of a QB that most think won't be with the program next year? This rumor makes no sense to me.

HCMM and Chev have the most to lose if Webb doesn't end up at CU. Why would they bow to pressure from the parent of a QB that most think won't be with the program next year? This rumor makes no sense to me.
"Hey Davis, we appreciate you being influential with some of our recruiting prospects, and I know you are our best hope to make a bowl game and keep our jobs, but our 4th string QB that you've never heard of is getting upset, so we're going to need you to just chill out on trying to make this team better."

Something tells me this, or any variation of it, was never even thought of by any coach on staff and definitely wasn't relayed to Webb.

I'd suggest it would be better to just chill out and see what happens than to keep trying to decipher all this stuff.
You must have a life...the rest of us will continue trying to figure out all these rumors :LOL:

Makes the least sense to me.
I might interpolate a little more to make this rumor make more sense:

1. Davis Webb helps land the end 2016 class (mostly Winfree) by telling those guys he's the starter here and wants to play with them
  2. Class closes, Webb shows up during spring ball. Coaches have heard from one (or multiple) of the recruits in question that Webb told them he's the starter. Alternatively, one of the recruits told a current QB that, who expressed frustration to the coaches.
  3. Coaches tell Webb that they appreciate his efforts, but starting QB will be decided in the fall
  4. Webb feels like he was promised the job, but coaches are reneging. Decides to look around. Also stops talking to other recruits from '16.
To me, that makes as much sense as anything.

1. Davis Webb helps land the end 2016 class (mostly Winfree) by telling those guys he's the starter here and wants to play with them
  2. Class closes, Webb shows up during spring ball. Coaches have heard from one (or multiple) of the recruits in question that Webb told them he's the starter. Alternatively, one of the recruits told a current QB that, who expressed frustration to the coaches.
  3. Coaches tell Webb that they appreciate his efforts, but starting QB will be decided in the fall
  4. Webb feels like he was promised the job, but coaches are reneging. Decides to look around. Also stops talking to other recruits from '16.
That sounds likely. It sounds like a huge miscommunication. Either Webb heard what wasn't said (guaranteed starter) or Chev and Mac had a miscommunication (I'm assuming they're upstanding guys and wouldn't be lying). Maybe Chev was really trying to make an impression with Mac and did whatever he could (without lying) to get Webb to Boulder. Or if they were lying, they were telling current QBs that they could compete but were all the time going to start Webb. This is a cluster****. I hope the appropriate person(s) made amends and they are all good with each other...but that wouldn't change Webb's mind about looking elsewhere.

All that said...I don't see how he could have as easy a QB competition as he'd have at CU, so unless some bridges were burned, IDK why he wouldn't come here.

My spidey senses still tell me he's coming. It's not like Cal or Auburn are going to tell him he's their starting QB if he comes, they both have more -and more talented, by far - QBs than we do.

Except that when he was in Boulder for his spring break, he specifically said:
While many project Webb to start for the Buffs, he knows better than to expect it. He wants to get to Boulder and earn it.

"I had to learn the hard way that sometimes you can put all the work in and do the right things, but at the end of the day it comes to a coach's decision," he said. "That's one thing I know how to do is work and be a good teammate and make sure that I have the mindset that they have to put me on the field.

"That's how good you have to practice and now good you have to work."

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. To me, this rumor, as stipulated by the anonymous Tech person, makes very little sense to me.

Except that when he was in Boulder for his spring break, he specifically said:

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. To me, this rumor, as stipulated by the anonymous Tech person, makes very little sense to me.
Great post. I didn't know that. So it sounds like he is a flake or is using the OV to get free trips. IDK...I have a hard time understanding my flakiness, let alone someone else's.

Back