What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 CU MBB SOS Watch (OOC & Pac-12 Opponents)

Would be great if Elon and Arky State could pull off wins tonight. UDub should win, but who knows what they'll do on the road.

Would be great, but not likely. But even if they lose to Georgetown by 30, beat Florida Atlantic by 1, and then close out the month by losing to Duke by 50, they get a huge RPI boost, and by proxy, we get a little one.

I'm not sure if it is coincidence, good luck, or the lesson learned from our NCAA snub a few years ago, but Tad's OOC scheduling the past couple of years, at least as far as manipulating RPI, has been pure genius.

Would be great, but not likely. But even if they lose to Georgetown by 30, beat Florida Atlantic by 1, and then close out the month by losing to Duke by 50, they get a huge RPI boost, and by proxy, we get a little one.

I'm not sure if it is coincidence, good luck, or the lesson learned from our NCAA snub a few years ago, but Tad's OOC scheduling the past couple of years, at least as far as manipulating RPI, has been pure genius.

No coincidence. Lesson was learned. Won't be having any OOC SOS of 310 ever again.

No coincidence. Lesson was learned. Won't be having any OOC SOS of 310 ever again.

Might not be able to help it. Teams are going to be very reluctant to schedule us for home/home series. We won't do one-offs. Might end up with a lot of neutral site games like this OSU game coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might not be able to help it. Teams are going to be very reluctant to schedule us for home/home series. We won't do one-offs. Might end up with a lot of neutral site games like this OSU game coming up.

There's a positive side, though. Playing a game at CU is now looked at as a major RPI bump by all the mid-majors and middle range majors out there trying to improve their resumes. Flying to Colorado and playing in Boulder is now a zero-risk game. If you pull off an upset, you make headlines. If you lose, it still helps your RPI. We'll start seeing a lot more RPI 75-150 type programs that are very interested in playing at the Keg.

If we're able to establish ourselves as a known top 25 entity I don't think scheduling home and homes will be quite as difficult as anticipated. In fact, I think it helps our chances. In recent years we've been in that middling zone where we are very tough at home but not the type of team a top 10 opponent wants to lose to. If we become a respected ranked team, a loss to us will be quite forgivable and might not scare big name opponents off. In short, I think it might be tougher to get big name opponents if you're middle of the pack than if you're really good or really bad. Just food for thought.

If we're able to establish ourselves as a known top 25 entity I don't think scheduling home and homes will be quite as difficult as anticipated. In fact, I think it helps our chances. In recent years we've been in that middling zone where we are very tough at home but not the type of team a top 10 opponent wants to lose to. If we become a respected ranked team, a loss to us will be quite forgivable and might not scare big name opponents off. In short, I think it might be tougher to get big name opponents if you're middle of the pack than if you're really good or really bad. Just food for thought.

Good points - I recall Tad saying Calipari wouldn't even consider coming to Boulder. And yet, Kentucky just traveled to North Carolina.

They're certainly not scared of playing us, but I don't expect they'll travel to Boulder until they see us a known entity like you mention.

Good points - I recall Tad saying Calipari wouldn't even consider coming to Boulder. And yet, Kentucky just traveled to North Carolina.

They're certainly not scared of playing us, but I don't expect they'll travel to Boulder until they see us a known entity like you mention.
Cal won't go to a lot of places... of course, he wouldn't go to Boulder. What benefit does it have for Kentucky to come out here? Are they recruiting Colorado? The only way I could see him doing the game is if he we relocated to Denver and it was nationally televised in primetime (and I'm talking ESPN, not FS1 or some third tiered network).

Michigan went to Iowa State this year.

That's the level we should be talking about. I don't care so much about whether Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Syracuse, etc. are willing to come to Boulder the way they'd be willing to travel to Tucson or LA. But would a regular Top 25 tourney team like Wisconsin or Pitt or Memphis or Villanova make a trip to Boulder? I think that is turning into a "yes".

absolutely disagree. There are many teams that benefit from a loss to us now.

We need to look at getting home and homes with teams like Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin because Syracuse, Kentucky and certain other teams that don't do home and homes won't consider coming to CU

We need to look at getting home and homes with teams like Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin because Syracuse, Kentucky and certain other teams that don't do home and homes won't consider coming to CU
I'd love the GTown home/home. I think Gonzaga is a good one, particularly if we can get that game in Seattle.

Gonzaga would absolutely come here. They'll go anywhere. Instead of playing middle to lower MWC teams we could look at New Mexico, SDSU and UNLV. And I don't buy for a second that a Memphis or Marquette or Creighton type wouldn't come.

I think shooting for perinneial middle of the road tourney teams like the zags, nova, marquette, wisco, etc will be a good bet, and now that CU wont be a "bad loss" for them they will probably be far more open to it. It's only been 3 years, we are not quite ready to have cuse/UK/UNC/Duke, etc come here - kansas only came b/c tad was a player and knows bill self, and KU has lots of fans out here. Hopefully we can continue a home/home with them, but i'd rather not get our as ses packed every time we go into the phog.

Some of the stronger mountain teams would also be good to play against, mainly UNM.
I know the shockers have been mentioned before, but just today I came across this article with greg marshall saying the shockers would be open to a home and home with anyone. They would be a great test (and fairly road-trippable) for CU.

I can't see us playing Wichita State. They didn't give Tad consideration for the HC job when Turgeon left. That's why Tad left there and took the HC job at UNC. I don't think the relationship is great. Maybe it will change over time as administrators move on, though. I just wouldn't expect to see that scheduled in the near future.

I think shooting for perinneial middle of the road tourney teams like the zags, nova, marquette, wisco, etc will be a good bet, and now that CU wont be a "bad loss" for them they will probably be far more open to it. It's only been 3 years, we are not quite ready to have cuse/UK/UNC/Duke, etc come here - kansas only came b/c tad was a player and knows bill self, and KU has lots of fans out here. Hopefully we can continue a home/home with them, but i'd rather not get our as ses packed every time we go into the phog.

Some of the stronger mountain teams would also be good to play against, mainly UNM.
I know the shockers have been mentioned before, but just today I came across this article with greg marshall saying the shockers would be open to a home and home with anyone. They would be a great test (and fairly road-trippable) for CU.
Wonder if KU schedules this game in the future? What do they have to gain from this game after all? When they scheduled it, they probably thought tickets would be easier to come by (and they'd win).

I can't see us playing Wichita State. They didn't give Tad consideration for the HC job when Turgeon left. That's why Tad left there and took the HC job at UNC. I don't think the relationship is great. Maybe it will change over time as administrators move on, though. I just wouldn't expect to see that scheduled in the near future.

I don't believe that timeline is accurate. Tad took the UNC job one year before Turgeon left Wichita.

I don't believe that timeline is accurate. Tad took the UNC job one year before Turgeon left Wichita.

There's something there. May have been that Turgeon wanted Boyle named the coach-in-waiting and WSU refused.

There's something there. May have been that Turgeon wanted Boyle named the coach-in-waiting and WSU refused.

You may be right, but I, knowing Tad at least somewhat on a personal level, haven't heard him speak ill of anyone at WSU. Then again, I haven't heard Tad say a bad thing about anyone in the coaching and admin ranks besides one coach who he has scheduled against. So take that for what its worth.

Last edited:
Elon's down 9 with the ball and about 9 1/2 minutes to go. Georgetown is doing a great job of feeding the post and denying open 3pt looks in the 2nd half.

Someone want to explain to me how Smith left UCLA and got a hardship waiver to play immediately at Georgetown?

Back