What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

i don't feel good about this.

i love the Buffs. I follow them religiously like most of you. i donate. i attend games. all of it.

i am not feeling good about the idea of risking injury to unpaid student athletes in order to protect a tv contract.

i will watch (i am a diehard) and that is what they are all counting on. and i will root for the Buffs like always. but, this unsettles me.

pay them for the risk you are now having them take. these are young adults, in the care of these universities. there are things more important than tv deals. and, believe me, i want the p12 to get a much better tv deal.

i love the Buffs. I follow them religiously like most of you. i donate. i attend games. all of it.

i am not feeling good about the idea of risking injury to unpaid student athletes in order to protect a tv contract.

i will watch (i am a diehard) and that is what they are all counting on. and i will root for the Buffs like always. but, this unsettles me.

pay them for the risk you are now having them take. these are young adults, in the care of these universities. there are things more important than tv deals. and, believe me, i want the p12 to get a much better tv deal.

Let's see what happens. Our hand was forced when the B1G came back.

That doesn't seem believable

i dunno.

that seems to me possible.

california and washington have been slammed by this virus.

colorado to my often annoyance doesn't put football ahead of other stuff.

so, map it out. if that tweet is true, here are the votes to relaunch:

wsu: wannabe. academic cesspool.
Arizona and america's stripper U-- not smart and not in the core.
oregon: sold their souls along time ago.
osu: see wsu.
utah: barely academically credible. not loyal to the principles of the conference.
use: more resources than anyone else. they can play by their own rules.

not saying the story is true; just saying it is possible.

wilner will get the truth soon and we will know.

I'll try this again. I do not care if CU plays this year. In fact, I prefer that the public not be exposed to the current state of the program by seeing this team take the field in 2020.

But shutting down society for a virus that has a statistically negligible impact on anyone under the age of 60 who is otherwise healthy is insanity. Progressive insanity.

Ahhh, So youre saying that everyone over 60 has no rights to protection and be damned. Do they call that Conservative Insanity?

Heres an important business term; Just in time delivery.

What that means is we only have just enough of X on hand to meed the next T (time period) predicted demand. There is no stock pile. That applies to PPE, Ventilators, and actual Hospital Beds. The reason things were shut down was so the virus didnt over run the supply of available hospital beds. So doctors and nurses didnt have to make triage decisions about who lives and who dies because of a lack of space.

Only since March of 2020 has this been a public health principle. Every other modern pandemic the metric has been deaths.

Anyhow, not looking great for CU Athletics to get an exemption.

JFC, Boulder County is going to Boulder County. Maybe the most arrogant and dirty government entity in the state.

Has there been any liability limitations relief passed yet to protect CU or similar entities from being sued for C19 reasons If they hold a practices? I gotta figure things like these tweets will be plaintiffs exhibit A.

Risk injury? How do? These guys risk injury every year. This one’s no different

I'm not sure how a State or Federal judge would rule on it. Health, safety and welfare are plenary powers of the State/Health Department, however it does seem overbroad.

Unnecessary (late-night) Legal Analysis:

As to being legally overbroad, my lawfirm and I have been working on analyzing these new regulations. It’s wonderfully complicated, and frankly no one has set forth a solid basis for going after them yet. I’ve read a bunch of crappy attempts.

Under every Constitutional doctrine, Equal Protection, Procedural/Substantive Due Process, Contract Clause, Takings, etc., these sorts of “regulations” (viewed as within the “police powers”) are only subject to “rational basis” review by the courts: highly deferential. In other words, is the regulation rationally based at solving a harm or protecting a class of people?
In some of these cases, there may be a separation/abuse of powers argument, as it is not a law or regulation passed the legislature but an edict from a part of the executive branch; hard to find that perfect fact pattern, though.

I have yet to find a case on point that provides a doctrine or standard to clearly overturn any of them, except attempts to stay certain actions by the judicial branch, which have been mostly abandoned on their own eventually.

This is a fascinating new area of law, because it draws on some of our oldest law, which has become ripe again so quickly. Everyday a different lawfirm is filing a different approach to attack these regulations.
Many of the regulations seem reasonable and appropriate, but not all, obviously. The strange part is our current inability to separate the good from the bad pursuant to any Constitutional doctrines, either federal or state.

Some Judge will take a flyer, no doubt. I don’t see it making it past the first appellate step, though.

End of unnecessary evening brain dump. Thank you for your time and (hopefully) you just skipped this post.

Latest Infection Fatality Ratio from the CDC
0-19 years. .00003%
20-49 years .0002
50-69 years .005
70+ years .054

COVID poses practically zero health risks to young people. I saw the first indications of this back in late February from the Italy data, and the evidence has been clear on this for months. I don't expect to convince you if you haven't already been convinced. But your idiocy is duly noted.

SHUT. IT. DOWN!!!!

Fascinating. Anything that doesn’t kill you is not a problem at all? Have you read one story on what happens to people who get this and struggle to get through it (and don’t die, so they don’t end up on your stat sheet there)? Upwards of a month or more in ICU. Yes, people in their 20-50’s, too. Put into induced comas to reduce O2 intake. Flipped over and over like a pancake. Long term internal damage, so weak can’t walk, we don’t know for how long. But we have great medical care, smart doctors, insanely dedicated nurses, and we are learning how to keep people alive.

Most estimates: attempting to reach the grand “herd immunity” plan would kill between 2 million and 6 million people (who apparently don’t matter), but even beyond that, there would likely be 20-30 million people permanently disabled. (But they don’t even hit your stats sheet.) All of which presumes that once you get it the antibodies are stable, and the virus doesn’t mutate too far or too fast. There are already cases of reinfection. You know the common cold? Annual flu? We’ve never achieved “herd immunity.” (Or a stable vaccine.) How long you think it’s been? Same family of virus. This derivation is just much worse in every way.

And we are only just learning the scope of what this thing does: early indications are that even people with no debilitating symptoms can develop long lasting lung damage, even children, and maybe other lingering medical problems. The problem is tiny, lingering blood clots, as I understand it. But I’m just a lawyer, not a doctor.

So yes, let’s mess around with this because ignoring it is easier - and lazier. And FOOTBALL.

I still don’t understand making definitive statements about the number of games, conference championship, etc. just begin playing and see where it goes. If it goes smoothly and no games are cancelled due to the testing model why stop playing if other conferences are still having issues. If we have learned anything over the last couple of months it’s that **** changes all the time. This is why I said it was stupid to postpone until spring when this all started. Delay, delay delay.
Well you have to plan things out, even just from a logistics point. But ideally that plan has some built in flexibility and viable alternative paths.

Latest Infection Fatality Ratio from the CDC
0-19 years. .00003%
20-49 years .0002
50-69 years .005
70+ years .054

COVID poses practically zero health risks to young people. I saw the first indications of this back in late February from the Italy data, and the evidence has been clear on this for months. I don't expect to convince you if you haven't already been convinced. But your idiocy is duly noted.

SHUT. IT. DOWN!!!!
There's a dude on reddit I've run into several times who likes to argue solo backpackers in the Northern Rockies shouldn't carry bear spray, and his favorite stat is how many people have been killed by grizzlies. Of course, his focus on death completely misses most of the story - how many were attacked or injured, or how many repelled an attack by using spray.

My wife is a Stanford MD who deals with the virus on a daily basis. If you like, I'll get her on here to explain to you why your post is dumb. It look good to you if you're trying to push an agenda, but completely falls apart for those who like to think beyond what they're told.

Now, I would never call any poster here a complete ****ing moron incapable of any critical thought. However, I might suggest that only a complete ****ing moron incapable of any critical thought would think that

• Boulder County is anywhere near herd immunity
    • according to the Mayo Clinic, we'd need about 70% of the population to get COVID to achieve herd immunity
    • Boulder County has about 326K residents. Boulder County has confirmed about 4,000 cases of COVID.
    • Only a complete ****ing moron would think that 4,000 is anywhere close to 228,000
  • The costs to the Boulder community would be "worth it" to achieve herd immunity
    • Right now, there have been 79 deaths in Boulder County due to COVID out of 4,000 confirmed cases, meaning about 1.95% of the infected population has died. This is significantly lower than the Colorado and US average (3.03% and 2.86%, respectively)
    • Projecting that out over the population, it means that somewhere between ~4,300 and ~6,700 additional deaths in Boulder county alone would likely be required to get to herd immunity
    • Only a complete ****ing moron incapable of critical thought would suggest that a path towards herd immunity, which has not been confirmed in any other community worldwide, would be better than using the proven method of isolation, contact tracing, testing, and masks
HTH.
I really don't want to get into this but will anyway. I am replying to your post because it is convenient, but is not only directed at you. I will not call anybody names because that never adds anything useful to an argument. It also never helps to pull together a bunch of numbers you know are not a true representation of reality in order to make your point. Both sides do it all the time and it bugs the **** out of me. If there is a good argument to be made, you don't have to exaggerate to appear stronger. I know you are not a moron and you know that the number of confirmed positive cases in Boulder, or anywhere else, are nowhere near the actual number of positive cases, so all your numbers are pretty meaningless. In any event, I agree with you, whatever model you want to use to derive a more realistic indicator of the number of infections and morbidity and mortality rates, boulder is nowhere near herd immunity. It has become so unpleasant to come on this site anymore because there is this constant bickering back and forth in almost every post, with the same people saying the exact same things they said 7 months ago, over and over and over and over again. We need football, please.

Well you have to plan things out, even just from a logistics point. But ideally that plan has some built in flexibility and viable alternative paths.
Sort of, they already said we will play all division games and one cross over and we have seen that teams can pull this stuff together a lot quicker than they say with the cancellations so far.

What's the over/under on the number of games that CU ends up playing this season.

I'm going to say three.

With the experts saying the virus is going to start ramping up when it gets closer to November. There is NO way that this team plays seven games.

Back