What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
NIL plus transfer portal without sitting out for a year create the perfect storm for mediocre programs with a few marquee players.

The real arrow to the gut is the removal of requirement to sit out a year. College FB is now formally a free-for-all and this is the beginning of the end for a lot of in-person game attendance and $$ donations for mediocre programs.

More and more the sport will exist as a TV revenue driven thing and that too is kind of a slippery slope. At least for FBS football.

Question for hoops fans: I don’t follow it very closely. Can those players now transfer and play immediately too? Thanks in advance.

CU offers more than football. There is no dark storm. Pump the sunshine grumpy old man
Dude. Embrace reality. Outside of physical scenery/geography the experiences at major universities are fungible. Some are better at some fields of study than others but stop pumping the CU hype. Kansas State, Arizona, Rutgers, and Kentucky all offer more than football too….Just sayin’

Until CU takes football seriously enough to have bowl eligibility as the ground-floor-minimum, and improve from there, this is going to be what happens. No draw for recruiting, other than the opportunity to play right away…then if a player stands out, there is the dreadful air of them leaving to another school to improve draft stock.

Whatever coach that CU gets, that might show some promise, they get poached by another school.

poaching Coach Meat was a total chess move by Oregon to potentially bring in his son in a year or so…and by the way things played out with Gonzo…possibly poaching current players on CU’s roster. If that is the case, **** Whoregon, **** Phil Knight’s crypt-keeper-looking ass, and **** Nike!

Mel Tucker saw something that is now blatantly apparent to everyone else. CU doesn’t want to win and isn’t willing to do what it takes from the top down. Crazy to think if we just admitted Alton Julian and Rezjohn Wright we probably could have kept Mel until the end of this year
This!!!!!

Until CU takes football seriously enough to have bowl eligibility as the ground-floor-minimum, and improve from there, this is going to be what happens. No draw for recruiting, other than the opportunity to play right away…then if a player stands out, there is the dreadful air of them leaving to another school to improve draft stock.

Whatever coach that CU gets, that might show some promise, they get poached by another school.

poaching Coach Meat was a total chess move by Oregon to potentially bring in his son in a year or so…and by the way things played out with Gonzo…possibly poaching current players on CU’s roster. If that is the case, **** Whoregon, **** Phil Knight’s crypt-keeper-looking ass, and **** Nike!
Oregon didn’t hire Meat just to get his son. If they didn’t get his son they would grab a different 4 star.

They also didn’t get Meat to raid Colorado’s roster which only has a couple guys that could even play for them.

Oregon didn’t hire Meat just to get his son. If they didn’t get his son they would grab a different 4 star.

They also didn’t get Meat to raid Colorado’s roster which only has a couple guys that could even play for them.
This.

It's not about a player.

From their side, it's about getting a coach that will make them better with both excellent recruiting and coaching.

From our side, it's about losing a solid coach not because of pay (reportedly), but mostly because of career advancement prospects.

When a lateral move for a roughly equivalent salary is a good career move, that says a lot about the organization getting left behind.

Last edited:
This.

It's not about a player.

From their side, it's about getting a coach that will make them better with both excellent recruiting and coaching.

From our side, it's about losing a promising young coach not because of pay (reportedly), but mostly because of career advancement prospects.

When a lateral move for an equivalent salary is a good career move, that says a lot about the organization getting left behind.
Promising young coach? He’s almost 50 and has been coaching at the P5 level for 12 years. He’s a proven commodity as a solid coach and great recruiter (when he’s been at good programs).

Also, it was said that CU offered a raise and extension but Wilcotts didn’t say CU would match Oregon’s pay.

CU offered Mel Tucker a raise, more AC salary pool and likely an extension, but it wasn’t close to what MSU offered.

CU seems to be willing to pay more and do what it can to keep good coaches, but they will always have a hard ceiling with resources that will prevent them from competing with the top half of the P5

Promising young coach? He’s almost 50 and has been coaching at the P5 level for 12 years. He’s a proven commodity as a solid coach and great recruiter (when he’s been at good programs).

Also, it was said that CU offered a raise and extension but Wilcotts didn’t say CU would match Oregon’s pay.

CU offered Mel Tucker a raise, more AC salary pool and likely an extension, but it wasn’t close to what MSU offered.

CU seems to be willing to pay more and do what it can to keep good coaches, but they will always have a hard ceiling with resources that will prevent them from competing with the top half of the P5
Made adjustments to my post - I thought he was younger.

I *really* don't think it's about any "hard ceiling" on money at this point.

It's entirely about not having the institutional support to excel. Money is a part of that, and it's an important part - but it's not the most important part.

Made adjustments to my post - I thought he was younger.

I *really* don't think it's about any "hard ceiling" on money at this point.

It's entirely about not having the institutional support to excel. Money is a part of that, and it's an important part - but it's not the most important part.
This. It’s a belief that nobody is worth “x”, when they quite obviously are.

Total agreement...Oregon didn't poach Leavitt for a player..
Oregon poached because the new coach saw on film what he needed to see in a coach.

This. It’s a belief that nobody is worth “x”, when they quite obviously are.
As I said, the administration allows the AD to operate fairly autonomously within a set budget, but there is a hard ceiling that they absolutely can’t go above because the admin won’t let them. That is the biggest problem, IMO.

Back to Transfer Portal: there are 2 very different kinds of transfers, see Clayton and see Gonzo.
Just an observation.

Gotta go do Christmas now. Merry that, y’all.

As I said, the administration allows the AD to operate fairly autonomously within a set budget, but there is a hard ceiling that they absolutely can’t go above because the admin won’t let them. That is the biggest problem, IMO.
Same admin wouldn't allow KD to fire his coordinators after the 2020 season. The AD forced hires on anyone who would take the job in 2020. Cleaning house is in order

When college foorball ends up with 8 -10 "superteams", that get most of the attention and 90% of the endorsements, '3-stars' who play elsewhere, and have '5-star' freshman years, will transfer after that 1st year. In 10 years, it will be like MLB's trade-deadline, a kid can transfer up until his 7th game of the season.

Meat's contact was up in six weeks. Amateur hour to be too busy at xmas activities playing with your grandkid and let the best (only decent?) recruiter get poached like this. Why wasn't the contract extended months ago? Then open it up to losing your best player. So bush league.

Even if we matched everything Oregon offered, Meat isn't stupid. What team would you go to as a professional? The one likely competing for rose bowls or the team that is battling for a bowl nomination? Coaching UDFAs or 1st round picks?

Meat kinda disappointed me a bit, he barely recruited socal while he was here. Idk if he just was off coffee or it's hard to recruit to CU (but not Arizona somehow) but since we're unlikely to replace him with someone better, it sucks. Doesn't hurt that his kid could've helped us get the ball rolling for the next class and he apparently was so well liked that Gonzo dipped once he left

Read an article the other day about the GT player that transferred to the Crimson Tide. The piece suggested that Saban is using the new transfer rule to set himself up with a national farm system. Play a couple of years for another team - finish college in Alabama contending for a national title.

I wonder if that is the way things are going to go with transfers. If it does, I think the Buffs are positioned to become one of the farm teams for both coaches and players. Get a little grooming and experience in Boulder and then move up to the majors. Don't like the way college football is going right now. I think if it continues programs like the Buffs will be the odd men out.
It’d be cool to have a player good enough to transfer to Alabama.

Even if we matched everything Oregon offered, Meat isn't stupid. What team would you go to as a professional? The one likely competing for rose bowls or the team that is battling for a bowl nomination? Coaching UDFAs or 1st round picks?

Meat kinda disappointed me a bit, he barely recruited socal while he was here. Idk if he just was off coffee or it's hard to recruit to CU (but not Arizona somehow) but since we're unlikely to replace him with someone better, it sucks. Doesn't hurt that his kid could've helped us get the ball rolling for the next class and he apparently was so well liked that Gonzo dipped once he left
A program like CU should be replacing Martin with a late 20something/early 30something GA from Texas or aTm or another program along those lines who is going to jump at a chance to make $200k/year and work his dick off on the recruiting trail. Same goes for replacing Cook, and Chev (WR only) at the very least.

I just don’t understand how these “outside the box” or high risk/high reward strategies that we’ve discussed for a while now are so taboo for Dorrell and RG.

Rick George can’t actually believe this current “teach em up” strategy is actually going to work.

In hindsight I don't think KD was blindslghted by Martin departure and the attrition. We have added 6 Dbs so far and will likely add 2 more.

In hindsight I don't think KD was blindslghted by Martin departure and the attrition. We have added 6 Dbs so far and will likely add 2 more.

things-that-make-you-go-bluh-ron-white.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back