What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thing is sickening....ruining college football. The divide between the haves and the have nots will get much bigger...those programs with deep pocket boosters who have money to burn will be get richer....the ones with nominal boosters will get the scraps....and internally, players will have to navigate all of that..

Gigantic mess....many players have entered the portal to get NOTHING...no offers...

Sad day.
Look at it this way: There are a finite number of 5 star and upper 4 star truly elite recruits and players. They are mostly all going to the top 6 or so programs anyway ( pre-NIL and pre-portal).

We are seeing back-up players at the top schools enter the portal. Bama had 7 last Tuesday. Those guys were highly rated out of high school and deservedly so in most cases.

A large part of what’s going on is a re-ordering of a finite universe of players, based on their merits, as perceived by themselves and by others (coaches at their previous schools and their new offer schools). It’s an economic re-shuffling experiment largely being carried out by the players themselves and some of them are not going to be initially happy with the results. They toss themselves into a market for their services and the market speaks. Not unlike when they were recruited out of high school but this time with some real college experienced attached.

I do think the existence of NIL is creating some false hopes of significant $ in many players and that just have to work itself out over time. But my larger point is that if superstar recruit or superstar player is deciding among competing six figure offers, those offers are very likely to include the blue blood programs that he’d be considering anyway pre-NIL. And if a non blue blood, Syracuse for example, comes up with the top money and if that’s the kid’s sole metric, then he goes there and the influence of the blue bloods is lessened. Not a terrible outcome. It’s just a new universe and the details, good and bad, will shake out fairly quickly.

Coda: There will always be incongruities in the personnel part of college football and some kids will always be over-recruited or under-recruited. Talent evaluation of 16 and 17 year olds isn’t an exact science in 90% of the cases. Much of the time the coaches/recruiters get it right. Many times they don’t. The results play out in dumb euphemisms like “diamond in the rough”, “sleeper”, and “a bust”. I used to ask myself why a number of B types of players sign with A types of programs and end up predictably not playing a lot, until I realized that at the P5 level not too many recruits consider themselves to actually be B types of players. It’s not in their DNA to think that way. In a rational world if a kid had 5 FCS offers, 5 mid-level G5 offers, and 2 P5 offers, he’d say to himself “I’m likely a G5 type of player” and he’d probably be right. But in the real world he often tells himself “I’m an under-recruited P5 player. I’ll take that offer from Kansas/CU/Vanderbilt and prove myself.” Maybe he does, maybe not. The transfer portal just provides a more seamless conduit for this guy to eventually find a home at Northern Iowa, Akron, or Florida Atlantic, if he wants to play more and continue to prioritize football. The American culture of “Everyone Can Succeed Bigly!” feeds a lot of this stuff, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. What I really like about the portal is that it takes away the power of the coaches to withhold the player’s ability to transfer. But an inevitable part of the portal is going to be that a lot of guy’s value in the market isn’t going to be what they thought it was going to be, just as transfers, and with any NIL considerations aside.

Anyway, later. Insomnia sucks. Don’t drink coffee after 5:00 PM.

Outside of Perry and Gonzo I think the guys on that list left the program for more playing time and that NIL deals aren’t figuring in. Also I’d bet that they left with no pre-offers in hand. They are taking the scholarship offers that roll in.

Think about it: The team is losing, you’re not playing, the coaches were uninspiring or just dumb, and you’re far from home (in most cases). The decision to portal out isn’t that hard to understand unless you’ve fallen in love with CU as a school and/or Boulder as a place to hang out for a few more years. It is what it is.
Need to add Rice, Blackmon, Lang, and Broussard to your list. That’s 6 full time starters who did not leave to find playing time.

Also, the full list represents clearly our best players/starters.

Need to add Rice, Blackmon, Lang, and Broussard to your list. That’s 6 full time starters who did not leave to find playing time.

Also, the full list represents clearly our best players/starters.
Yeah, I know. I was responding just about the guys listed in Always Buffs post. Sucks to lose the 4 guys you list and it will be interesting to see where they go.

Here’s where things may get interesting. There are reports out there that A&M has like $20-30m in NIL deals all set up for their 22 recruits. What happens if they don’t even make the playoff? Are theses boosters gonna pony up again? People with that much $ most of the time worked hard for it and don’t like wasting it. I don’t believe there will be any business benefits for 99% of NIL.

A star athlete that can influence people can have value.

He's doing it right, it sucks for us but you have to see that there are reasons beyond our knowledge.
Anyone hating on him as a Buff fan represents the worst of us.
It looks terrible for the U when a former player has to take the time to publicly explain or defend.
Ugly is getting uglier and I don't expect we've seen/read all that will unfold.
Not hating on him, but I hope he sucks when CU plays them. And because Oregon is one of the top three teams I hate in the Pac-12, I hope he, and they, stuck in general.

Players graduate every year. Just got to find a way to replace them. Maybe some underclassmen step up or we add some one from rthe transfer portal.

Sweet!!

Who’s gonna throw him the ball?

That will be decided in camp, B Lewis looked better toward the end of th season. That playing experience gives him an early advantage. But JT and Kopp will provide serious competion. And if his play slips, some one will be ready to step in.

That will be decided in camp, B Lewis looked better toward the end of th season. That playing experience gives him an early advantage. But JT and Kopp will provide serious competion. And if his play slips, some one will be ready to step in.
Have a look at the Jacksonville Jaguars and the development of Trevor Lawrence this past season and then try to tell me that the CU QB position is going to improve in 2022.

By most accounts, Lawrence is a generational talent at the position and he was brutal to meh. Why? Because the Jags have the least talent in the NFL and he was under duress on nearly every play. A talentless roster would make Tom Brady look awful.

What if KD coaches up the O-Line and we win 4 games again this year with what everyone is now perceiving as a young roster with lack of talent and depth. Doesn’t he immediately look like a good coach. If anyone was taking over the roster and put up 4 wins (when most of us think the over/under will be set at 2.5) they would be receiving praise. So while I’m not happy with the exodus of players I’m going to wait and see if he can get 4 Ws with a roster that looks very young.
Don't you lose the ability to play the "I exceeded low expectations" card when you were responsible for reducing expectations?

Have a look at the Jacksonville Jaguars and the development of Trevor Lawrence this past season and then try to tell me that the CU QB position is going to improve in 2022.

By most accounts, Lawrence is a generational talent at the position and he was brutal to meh. Why? Because the Jags have the least talent in the NFL and he was under duress on nearly every play. A talentless roster would make Tom Brady look awful.

The NFL is not College. Peyton also struggled in his first year. We don't know what the roster will look like in August.

The NFL is not College. Peyton also struggled in his first year. We don't know what the roster will look like in August.
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

So when someone enters the portal, does that automatically open up a scholarship or does the player have to commit somewhere else first before the spot opens up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back