What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

I appreciate the hope given by @Buffnik. Honestly scared after the game and hopes for the season a bit tempered but maybe that’s a team that does win 8+ games in a Go5 conference. Didn’t dominate the line of scrimmage like I was hoping

Well-coached physical teams with a chip on their shoulder are a tough draw for an opening game. CU also had a fair amount of turnover in the coaching staff and that contributes to week one woes. NDSU is a good program and they are better than a fair number of FBS teams even given the constraints of being a FCS program. It was an ugly but good win.

Cam and NDSU are so much more experienced than the Nebraska kid. I'm sure he has much more arm talent but the experience from a SR QB who has just enough athletic ability to escape is worth its weight in gold. I don't think Nebraska's QB is the reason they Win next week. It will be their line play. I'm not saying he can't sling it. I just don't see him being as effective as Cam on all the 3rd down runs and knowing where to go with the football during a blitz. I could be wrong but I don't recall the Nebraska kid as a Dual Threat. A pocket passer is going to be much easier for our DL to get some sack numbers.

We won. I was pissed that we scheduled this game when we did it back in 2018, I was pissed every time I saw it on the schedule, I was pissed all summer about it. It's a no win game. Why any FBS program schedules these guys is beyond me. They are not an easy cupcake FCS team, they can and do bear FBS teams, but FBS teams get no credit for beating them.

Having said thar, we looked baaaaaad in the first half. Defense showed in the second half til we played soft late. They got a lot of soft yards on those last two possessions (including the Hail Mary - thank God that kid doesn't have an arm).

Offense actually looks better to me. NDSU's strength was supposed to be in the trenches, and God I hope so because they beat us there. But our tackle situation looks way better. Our skill positions are still elite, our WRs are world class, and our QB is a first round draft pick. Then you have Travis Hunter. My goodness.

The coaching was, shall we say, uneven. I'm going to be kind and assume we were surprised by their pass heavy game plan. The defensive play calling in the first half was scary bad. Enough adjustments were made in the second half to allow us to win the game, so that's nice.

The offense was just better than NDSU's defense, I think any unbiased observer would agree that play calling probably actually held our offense back tonight. And what the actual **** was that pass on the last possession? The game was literally over. 3 runs and the clock runs out.

Anyway, some scary stuff, some very scary stuff, some not too terribly scary stuff, but we won and that's all that matters in the end. On to the next one.

Are we going to show any misdirection or pre-snap motion on offense? The only pre-snap motion resulted in a bubble screen almost every time.

I don't know what to think of the defense. They did a pretty good job stopping the run but the QB improvising, QB designed runs out of an empty backfield, and crossing routes killed them.

This team is not well coached and still undisciplined.

Shedeur and Travis are unreal. Horn seems faster and had a hell of a game

One last thing - where the **** did these refs come from? They were absolute dog****. I mean, how in the heavenly **** did they not call PI on Hunter's last TD? I get that it didn't matter, but it could have. And two plays earlier the dude facemasked him while fighting for the ball and apparently no one saw it.

Then you had Shedeur getting clocked late, countless holds missed, and probably other **** too. And we weren't innocent either. I saw obvious penalties on us that weren't called. Those dudes better never show their faces in Boulder again.

Are we going to show any misdirection or pre-snap motion on offense? The only pre-snap motion resulted in a bubble screen almost every time.

I don't know what to think of the defense. They did a pretty good job stopping the run but the QB improvising, QB designed runs out of an empty backfield, and crossing routes killed them.

This team is not well coached and still undisciplined.

Shedeur and Travis are unreal. Horn seems faster and had a hell of a game
We got killed on crossing routes?

I have always thought you run to set up the pass or visa versa. We seem to never give anything a chance? Always resort back to pass, pass. Sometimes you have to force it. IMO

I was expecting a lot more from the pass rush after all the talk and the running game leaves a lot to be desired, but we still cover pretty easily if not for the drive extending penalties and a super lucky INT for the Bison. I’ll take it.
First thought-I'm sorry to bring up the officiating, but I thought it was so ****ing bad. A number of missed holds, at least one missed late hit on Shedeur at the end of the first half, and some other things.

Offense-B grade. We moved the ball through the air at will. I wanted to see more of a commitment to the run, but oh well. Shedeur was Shedeur, and Travis didn't disappoint.
Defense-I'm going D because Livingston was calling plays for the first time. We had no answer for a team that was doing basic stuff offensively. They ran it and relied on short passes. If they tried a pass that traveled more than 10 yards in the air, I can't remember it.

We won the game. Move on to the nubs.

Ya and then the QB run almost killed us in the second half.
And the QB run is going to continue to give us issues if we continue to play predominantly man coverage.

Playing zone...or at least having a spy helps negate the advantages of a running QB.

First thought-I'm sorry to bring up the officiating, but I thought it was so ****ing bad. A number of missed holds, at least one missed late hit on Shedeur at the end of the first half, and some other things.

Offense-B grade. We moved the ball through the air at will. I wanted to see more of a commitment to the run, but oh well. Shedeur was Shedeur, and Travis didn't disappoint.
Defense-I'm going D because Livingston was calling plays for the first time. We had no answer for a team that was doing basic stuff offensively. They ran it and relied on short passes. If they tried a pass that traveled more than 10 yards in the air, I can't remember it.

We won the game. Move on to the nubs.
I don't remember seeing us run a single stunt on the d line.

Meanwhile...that's what gave us fits for long period of this game.

And the QB run is going to continue to give us issues if we continue to play predominantly man coverage.

Playing zone...or at least having a spy helps negate the advantages of a running QB.
Ya that part is crazy, I was wondering if they prepared zone coverage for this game at all?

Back