What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

I thought it was the first play, but I always enjoy Medford pretending
Listen...he was bad...and our safety's were bad last year, too.

Doesn't matter of it was 4 plays...I've never like Shiloh or Cam as starters 🤷

It's not like I didn't know he left the game early. He's just not good.

The main positive from this game is that the team didn't collapse in the second half like they would have last year. A few other glimmers of hope in the stats:
- turnovers - 1
- sacks given up - 1
- penalties - 3 for 30
- 2nd half points allowed - 6
- 2nd half defensive adjustments - They actually happened
- # defensive players with at least 1 tackle - 21
- 7 different players had a TFL

This is NOT to suggest the team played well, but CU typically takes several games to get the penalties under control and make their first halfime adjustment. I think we see a more formidable rush against an immobile pocket passer next week.

The team had two question marks coming into the game.

OL had a good game. Shedeur was rarely pressured unless they brought overloads. Run blocking was tough because they had a lot of run blitzes dialed.

Our LBs cannot cover. The entire underneath was open for the 1H. Livington did a great job and adjusted to some zone concepts to have the safeties and THun help eliminate the underneath whilst he got creative with some blitzes. This played to the strength of our F7, which is stopping the run. Unfortunately, we got caught again when we were in man. I think Livingston will self scout and see how that can get the scheme cleaned up. I think we see a lot of exotic NFL-type stuff against true frosh Raiola.

Shurmur called a nice game until the final drive. He made some head scratching decisions that didn’t make sense in the context of the game or what their defense was giving. They loaded the box. Wester and Jimmy were crushing the YAC with those swing passes all game. I think Shurmur also improves.

The officiating made the game closer. A no-call DPI (or at least holding) leads to the fluke INT. They held a lot and we got nary a call. They blatantly hit us late on several occasions and got no penalties.

Luckily for us, we have the best player in the country on our team. If he stays healthy, he can neutralize a lot of mistakes.

EDIT: apparently, Shedeur audibled out of the called runs in the final drive because he wanted to end the game against cover zero. He was not wrong in a vacuum, as Wester had his man toasted on both plays. If Shedeur hits him in stride, it’s covers.com for the Buffs. But, in game context, it was the wrong call. Shedeur said that he learned his lesson. We’ll have to believe him.

Last edited:
NDSU beat Minnesota in 2007 and 2011.
NDSU beat Kansas in 2010.
NDSU beat Colorado State in 2012.
NDSU beat Kansas State in 2013.
NDSU beat Iowa State in 2014.
NDSU beat Iowa in 2016.

They've been pretty salty.

That is nearly a decade ago. Not one player on that Roster beat a P4 team. I don't think it is fair to give this NDSU team credit for accomplishments they never achieved. We don't need to pretend NDSU is a powerhouse to make ourselves feel better after a bad game.

I just got back from the game.

I am also the man who lived in Nodak and watched NDSU for 5 years straight who predicted us to win by, yes, 50.

I actually think we played a pretty solid game.

NDSU just didn’t make any true mistakes.

Like others have said we are built to stop the big12 not a power O like NDSU, I’d also like to point out that we don’t have the best player in the country, we have the best two players in the country.

1-0

I just got back from the game.

I am also the man who lived in Nodak and watched NDSU for 5 years straight who predicted us to win by, yes, 50.

I actually think we played a pretty solid game.

NDSU just didn’t make any true mistakes.

Like others have said we are built to stop the big12 not a power O like NDSU, I’d also like to point out that we don’t have the best player in the country, we have the best two players in the country.

1-0
I underestimated them because I'm an asshole. They made zero mistakes. I'm not willing to overreact but I never want to see them again.

They deserve a lot of credit

NDSU beat Minnesota in 2007 and 2011.
NDSU beat Kansas in 2010.
NDSU beat Colorado State in 2012.
NDSU beat Kansas State in 2013.
NDSU beat Iowa State in 2014.
NDSU beat Iowa in 2016.

They've been pretty salty.
At the same time, this isn't the same NDSU. SDSU has taken over their fire the last few years. And the last game you list is the better part of a decade ago, and two head coaches ago..

One of the most disappointing wins ever. Based on coach talk (Shurmur, Livingston, et al) I expected a huge improvement from last year. They seemed a little better than last year, but not that much

Wester had a great game and will be a force this year.

How could they not adjust to NDSU,s QB draws? They got big gains several times, including in the 2nd half.

That is nearly a decade ago. Not one player on that Roster beat a P4 team. I don't think it is fair to give this NDSU team credit for accomplishments they never achieved. We don't need to pretend NDSU is a powerhouse to make ourselves feel better after a bad game.

That's fair.

NDSU is most certainly a powerhouse in their division of college football. They've won or played for the national championship like every year for a decade.

The last time they played a Power 5 team was 2022 against Arizona - and Arizona won 31-28. (Arizona finished 5-7 that year)

On Shedeur's interception, I thought the ND player the ball bounced off, was prone on the ground. If he was, shouldn't the play have ended when it hit him? It would be the same as the ball bouncing off the ground. If the ND guy had been upright when the ball hit him, no problem Hard to see

That being said, they still were pretty ****ty play calls. OK throw the ball for a 1st down but how about throwing it to a WR near the 1st down mark instead of backward bootlegs/screens and then the WR being tackled at the line of scrimmage time after time
Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

The OL has to start getting so.e push, the RB needs to toughen up and try to break a tackle. Buffs are going to have to run the ball here forward.

On Shedeur's interception, I thought the ND player the ball bounced off, was prone on the ground. If he was, shouldn't the play have ended when it hit him? It would be the same as the ball bouncing off the ground. If the ND guy had been upright when the ball hit him, no problem Hard to see

That has never been a rule ever. Stop posting this. The ball has to hit the ground.

No the play is live, no different than a tipped pass

One of the most disappointing wins ever. Based on coach talk (Shurmur, Livingston, et al) I expected a huge improvement from last year. They seemed a little better than last year, but not that much

Wester had a great game and will be a force this year.

How could they not adjust to NDSU,s QB draws? They got big gains several times, including in the 2nd half.
almost feels like a moral defeat

This was a warm up game. Get some of the kinks out before the real season starts. Defense certainly needs to improve. I thought this season the Buffs were going to establish the run, looks like a false rumor.

NDSU were gamers but were clearly outmatched. Shedeur, Hunter, Horn are all elite talents. I hope the supporting cast is able to give enough to help win some games.

Next 2 games will obviously tell us more.

This was a warm up game. Get some of the kinks out before the real season starts. Defense certainly needs to improve. I thought this season the Buffs were going to establish the run, looks like a false rumor.

NDSU were gamers but were clearly outmatched. Shedeur, Hunter, Horn are all elite talents. I hope the supporting cast is able to give enough to help win some games.

Next 2 games will obviously tell us more.
Buffs NEED to be 3-1 at worst after the first third of the season is through.

Reactions: GRM
Feel a lot better this morning than I did last night.

Optimistic takes: Oline improvement, best wr room in the country, 2 and 12, Livingston made adjustments.

Most disappointing: running game was abysmal, defense was lost in the 1st half, Shilo and Hood playing with too much emotion (extracurriculars)

Oline was decent in pass block, but I don't think we will know if anything has improved until the next game against much better talent
We still cant run the ball, at all
Dline was decent getting pass pressure but still many questions in run defense
Linebacker was just terrible. I saw zero improvement from 2023. Out of position to stop QB runs, nowhere to be found on the short crossing plays
We had a really stupid late hit penalty
We had a wide open dropped swing pass that would have gone for 40 yards
The pass play in the last series when 3 runs would have ended the game is one of the worst play calls ever

Everything else is what I expected.
Shedeur had a fluke INT, but was solid with his decisions and made great throws that allowed receivers to keep running
Travis should get Heisman votes
Horn is really good

Shiloh played well outside of the penalty. He kept a lot of plays from being back breakers with sure tackling.
The penalty was the third he should have gotten. He had two earlier plays out of bounds that were cheap shots. He should have been pulled and sat and told to act like a leader, rather than a thug.

That’s the **** you fix and send a message with. Dumb football

Back