What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

Oline was decent in pass block, but I don't think we will know if anything has improved until the next game against much better talent
We still cant run the ball, at all
Dline was decent getting pass pressure but still many questions in run defense
Linebacker was just terrible. I saw zero improvement from 2023. Out of position to stop QB runs, nowhere to be found on the short crossing plays
We had a really stupid late hit penalty
We had a wide open dropped swing pass that would have gone for 40 yards
The pass play in the last series when 3 runs would have ended the game is one of the worst play calls ever

Everything else is what I expected.
Shedeur had a fluke INT, but was solid with his decisions and made great throws that allowed receivers to keep running
Travis should get Heisman votes
Horn is really good
LBs were fine for the most part, the calls are what largely took them away from the QB & the crossers/rubs

Lots of whinge and moaning going on. This defense is built to counter Big 12 offenses. Not overload power I flex wing bull****. There are maybe 2 teams we’ll face this year with a QB that’s a true run threat. The rest will sit back there and sling. Our defense will be fine. That said, Green needs to start with Bentley and that **** better happen fast. Also, Charlie needs to sit the fvck down. Hayden and Welch deserve a chance to get rolling and with a line that can’t hold a run block for more than 2 seconds, we need a back that can hit the hole fast. Charlie is dragging a fvcking piano.
Also, enough with the SS holds the ball too long. The dude is more than we b!tches even deserve so STFU.
More tomorrow when I sober up.
Other than the Offerdahl stuff, I don’t agree with anything you mentioned.

Other than the Offerdahl stuff, I don’t agree with anything you mentioned.
Think Mad Men GIF

Happy with halftime adjustments on D. That’s an improvement over last year, right there. Allow only 6 points in 2nd half is winning football.

Our offense is going to be fun and productive. We’ll get the running game going. I do agree: Offerdahl is a good story but not a starter (or regular). I loved that swing pass to Hayden, stiff arm the one-on-one defender for a 1st. THAT’s what a RB should be able to do and what’s been lacking here for a long time.

This was a horrible game to schedule first. That team runs a sick system for a long time. It’s like when we played AF. We had to spend all this time preparing for the option then they threw the entire first half.

We need to schedule real patsies for a first game. Now we go on the road for two rivalry games. Dumb. Rick’s scheduling sucks.
Yes! When I say Offerdahl needs not be in there so much, this is what I’m talking about - he couldn’t (hasn’t been able to) do that.

A couple of additional important points:
1) NDSU likely goes 11-1 this year. They're quite good and their schedule lines up very well.
2) DO NOT get worked up if Nebraska dismantles UTEP tomorrow. UTEP might be rolling out a bottom 5-10 FBS squad this year. NDSU would beat them by 28.

NDSU is a well coached, highly disciplined program where the players all know their roles well. They don’t make a lot of mistakes and don’t beat themselves. They’re Boise St 2.0. I thought they might take a step back after losing their head coach, but it doesn’t look like they’ve done that at all. I think this was a great tune-up for the next couple games.
I’d have liked to have seen a better rushing effort. I would have liked to have contained the QB running a little better.
But holy sweet Jesus, Travis Hunter is going to give opposing DCs nightmares.

NDSU is a well coached, highly disciplined program where the players all know their roles well. They don’t make a lot of mistakes and don’t beat themselves. They’re Boise St 2.0. I thought they might take a step back after losing their head coach, but it doesn’t look like they’ve done that at all. I think this was a great tune-up for the next couple games.
I’d have liked to have seen a better rushing effort. I would have liked to have contained the QB running a little better.
But holy sweet Jesus, Travis Hunter is going to give opposing DCs nightmares.
It’s almost like scheduling a team like that for week 1 was an unfathomably dumb thing to do.

It’s almost like scheduling a team like that for week 1 was an unfathomably dumb thing to do.
I don’t look at it that way. I think it worked out great. We got the W and learned a lot about what we need to work on. We got a good test and are prepared for the rest of the schedule.

You want to talk about unfthomably dumb? How about a 30-yard pass on 1st down with 1:45 on the clock with the opponent having one timeout left? That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. That Hail Mary attempt at the end never should have happened.

I don’t look at it that way. I think it worked out great. We got the W and learned a lot about what we need to work on. We got a good test and are prepared for the rest of the schedule.

You want to talk about unfthomably dumb? How about a 30-yard pass on 1st down with 1:45 on the clock with the opponent having one timeout left? That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. That Hail Mary attempt at the end never should have happened.
That was on Shedeur.

The team had two question marks coming into the game.

OL had a good game. Shedeur was rarely pressured unless they brought overloads. Run blocking was tough because they had a lot of run blitzes dialed.

Our LBs cannot cover. The entire underneath was open for the 1H. Livington did a great job and adjusted to some zone concepts to have the safeties and THun help eliminate the underneath whilst he got creative with some blitzes. This played to the strength of our F7, which is stopping the run. Unfortunately, we got caught again when we were in man. I think Livingston will self scout and see how that can get the scheme cleaned up. I think we see a lot of exotic NFL-type stuff against true frosh Raiola.

Shurmur called a nice game until the final drive. He made some head scratching decisions that didn’t make sense in the context of the game or what their defense was giving. They loaded the box. Wester and Jimmy were crushing the YAC with those swing passes all game. I think Shurmur also improves.

The officiating made the game closer. A no-call DPI (or at least holding) leads to the fluke INT. They held a lot and we got nary a call. They blatantly hit us late on several occasions and got no penalties.

Luckily for us, we have the best player in the country on our team. If he stays healthy, he can neutralize a lot of mistakes.
Again. Shurmur did not call that pass play. Shedeur changed the call on his own.

As Da Lama warned (many times because he is not shy, hahaha) it took the Buffs a half to figure **** out.

NDSU was up for the challenge; punking FBS teams is their bread a butter. Polasek and staff proved to put in a good game plan. I'm not going to overreact to our D-line being ineffective in the first half. Polasek is a former O-line coach and NDSU's linemen have had the benefit of gelling together over the last 3 - 4 years.

I am going to (over)react on the fact that Benson and Zilinskas (sorry GRM) couldn't get a push when we needed to run. I'm totally shocked with how poorly Benson looked, maybe he's still injured, I am expecting a lot more from this kid. Zilinskas is just getting pushed around. . . Yakiri better get going this week before we face the corn.

Reactions: GRM
also, for the passerby troll:

“Good players,” first-year NDSU head coach Tim Polasek said. “Really good players.”

As Da Lama warned (many times because he is not shy, hahaha) it took the Buffs a half to figure **** out.

NDSU was up for the challenge; punking FBS teams is their bread a butter. Polasek and staff proved to put in a good game plan. I'm not going to overreact to our D-line being ineffective in the first half. Polasek is a former O-line coach and NDSU's linemen have had the benefit of gelling together over the last 3 - 4 years.

I am going to (over)react on the fact that Benson and Zilinskas (sorry GRM) couldn't get a push when we needed to run. I'm totally shocked with how poorly Benson looked, maybe he's still injured, I am expecting a lot more from this kid. Zilinskas is just getting pushed around. . . Yakiri better get going this week before we face the corn.
How was the DL ineffective in the 1st half?

Back