What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

I am going to go out on a limb and say that their game plan was to stop the run and make us one-dimensional. The problem was that they didn't have the horses to stop the passing game, so even though they did make us one-dimensional, we racked up 500 yards of offense and really it took us hurting ourselves to not score every time we had the ball.
That would make me feel better, too. But honestly I can't imagine any DC in the world who game planning against us would be like "well, I'm gonna make 2 see if he can beat us with his arm, cause we sure ain't gonna let 44 beat us. If 2 does that so be it."

That would make me feel better, too. But honestly I can't imagine any DC in the world who game planning against us would be like "well, I'm gonna make 2 see if he can beat us with his arm, cause we sure ain't gonna let 44 beat us. If 2 does that so be it."
From what I read, they sorta did…because they knew they couldn’t contain the receivers. They basically just hoped not every pass would be complete. They sold to stop the run.

I purposely did not post leading up to the game, but I will now.

NDSU is legit. I was nervous going into this game because I viewed it as a bit of a make or break the season type of game.
If we lose, we lose legitimacy. If we win, we beat an FCS team. Nothing to gain STATISTICALLY.

However, NDSU SHOULD and COULD be a legit FBS team. They win A LOT. They beat A LOT of FBS schools.
They are a program type of team. Doesnt' matter who is in, they perform.

I'm glad we got the win and can move on.
I think our O line looks much better than last year but have a long way to go.
Shedeur looks MUCH better. Arm looks stronger and his accuracy is improved.
Hunter is the Heisman....end of story.
Defensive line was a bit better, but the D has A LOT of work to do.

Right now we look like a 5-6 win team.
I hope I'm wrong, but I wasn't really impressed with our play.

The big plays were fun and nice, but it just wasn't something you'd see from a top 10 team if they played NDSU.
NDSU would beat a lot of G5 teams and even some P4 teams. They have some talent, they develop it well, and they play their system very well. Difference maker is they have a QB who is more effective (not necessarily more talented but more effective than almost anyone the Buffs have started since Klatt left and before 2 got here.

NDSU would beat a lot of G5 teams and even some P4 teams. They have some talent, they develop it well, and they play their system very well. Difference maker is they have a QB who is more effective (not necessarily more talented but more effective than almost anyone the Buffs have started since Klatt left and before 2 got here.
Let's play a group game. Put NDSU in the MWC and tell me where you think they finish.

What’s up with our RB’s anyway? Is Charlie the best we have? We all love the kid, but…..
the osu transfer got a ton of carries in the 2nd half. there were no running lanes. part of it was on the o line but part of it was ndsu basically selling out to stop the run too. i thought that was an interesting strategy when our strength is att qb and wr.

also, i just read our play calling was something in the order of 35 pass and 22 run or something. not perfect but shows a commitment to the run game considering how things played out. shurmur will do a much better job of protecting 2 than lewis did, even if the ol is still a work in progress.

I feel like not running, while concerning, made sense. NDSU had no answer at all for the passing game. If not for the interception of that dudes leg, and if shedeur hits that late pass to Wester the buffs win by 3 tds and we are all happy.
Exactly my feeling. How many seconds of nervousness in this game…like maaaaaybe 2 when their QB was going to release the hail mary…but knowing he didn’t have the arm, it was just my own pure fantasy bs.

The "leg cramp" was f*cking genius. Of course, the D not getting lined up was atrocious.
Hard to get lined up when you're still on the sideline.

2 should have seen the ref call 1st down NDSU one of the 3 times he signaled it, and gotten the O off the field.

LBs were fine for the most part, the calls are what largely took them away from the QB & the crossers/rubs
They got rushing yardage with the QB. Otherwise, we controlled and fit the run very well. That’s a tough offensive scheme that they run (and hold on) very well. It’s a bit like playing an option team in the first game, as they add the extra blocker by having the QB doing power runs. We used to do that with Sefo when we were desperate for yards. It’s a good scheme to equalize a talent deficit, which is exactly what it’s meant to be, and has been over a long, long period of time.

Again, Rick’s scheduling sucks. We paid them to come here? Now we go on the road for two straight rivalry games? To start the season? Before we hit Big12? Brutal and dumb.

They got rushing yardage with the QB. Otherwise, we controlled and fit the run very well. That’s a tough offensive scheme that they run (and hold on) very well. It’s a bit like playing an option team in the first game, as they add the extra blocker by having the QB doing power runs. We used to do that with Sefo when we were desperate for yards. It’s a good scheme to equalize a talent deficit, which is exactly what it’s meant to be, and has been over a long, long period of time.

Again, Rick’s scheduling sucks. We paid them to come here? Now we go on the road for two straight rivalry games? To start the season? Before we hit Big12? Brutal and dumb.
The scheduling is far from ideal.

I'm willing to cut Rick some slack on it though. It was all done at a time when we really sucked, we didn't have a lot of good options and every dollar mattered.

Broken record but blame a lot of this on Dr. Phil and his band of clowns. CU didn't take football seriously and to a degree Rick's hands were tied.

Thankfully that nightmare is over. Now let's see what Rick does with Todd Saliman setting the tone and Dr. Phil out of the picture.

Do keep in mind that because of the scheduling CU was again the marquee game on the opening night of full schedule college football. If we had been playing UTEP or Northern Colorado we wouldn't have been. Disaster if we lose but we didn't.

the osu transfer got a ton of carries in the 2nd half. there were no running lanes. part of it was on the o line but part of it was ndsu basically selling out to stop the run too. i thought that was an interesting strategy when our strength is att qb and wr.

also, i just read our play calling was something in the order of 35 pass and 22 run or something. not perfect but shows a commitment to the run game considering how things played out. shurmur will do a much better job of protecting 2 than lewis did, even if the ol is still a work in progress.
Some of our swing passes are essentially runs.

What a dumb comment. Take a look at this team and the AD since Bohn left. It’s night and day.

Is RG perfect, definitely not. But he has made some very ballsy and correct calls, and done a fantastic job fundraising and turning this athletic program into one of the most talked about in the country.
We are not where we are right now without Prime.

Prime has stated that he wouldn't have been here if not for the relationship he developed with Rick.

I keep watching the highlights.... Obviously the #1 highlight was the Hunter catch in the right corner while he was being interfered with......BUT

Jimmy Horn Jr.'s move at the 30 yard line when he scored was downright DEADLY. I can't stop laughing at how the defender just crossed his legs and stopped.

What a dumb comment. Take a look at this team and the AD since Bohn left. It’s night and day.

Is RG perfect, definitely not. But he has made some very ballsy and correct calls, and done a fantastic job fundraising and turning this athletic program into one of the most talked about in the country.

Rick is very good at fundraising. He's also very dumb at other times. Who hired the coach before prime again? Who hired Tucker? And gave him that contract?

You can disagree, but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that for every good thing he does he does a lot of dumb ****.

Back