What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

My observations:
Shadeur stepped up into the only sack for the night. Not that there wasn't a lot of pressure, but he didn't need to do that.
Shilo is going to get at least 3 late hit out of bounds penalties this year.
MVC or whomever the refs were don't seem to know what holding is.
Travis gets away with pushing off. A lot. And not even on the 2nd TD - where he was being held (see comment above).
Charlie can't pick up a blitz.
I think somehow Horn got even faster this year.
Brown should not be starting at RT.

Edit: Mata is NOT a P4 kicker

Hunter gave up 3 receptions for 18 yards
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

What a dumb comment. Take a look at this team and the AD since Bohn left. It’s night and day.

Is RG perfect, definitely not. But he has made some very ballsy and correct calls, and done a fantastic job fundraising and turning this athletic program into one of the most talked about in the country.
I do agree that RG has done some great things (Coach Prime being the big one), but his approach to scheduling is not one of them. Of course, this schedule was created at some point in the past when we--very likely--sucked hard. So maybe he was trying to build interest in the program. But stacking the OOC for 'interest" (if that's what he was doing) over building wins and momentum is a choice I don't agree with.

Do keep in mind that because of the scheduling CU was again the marquee game on the opening night of full schedule college football. If we had been playing UTEP or Northern Colorado we wouldn't have been. Disaster if we lose but we didn't.
We could have been playing North High School and Prime is going to be the marquee game on Thursday night.

Went to the game and had the following observations
Travis Hunter is just flat out a cheat code and nobody on the field is up to that level, really want the Broncos to draft him
Our "Running Game" is not connected to the "Passing Game", somehow they are just not in sync. Sheduer had one really good play fake and he had more time to throw, but otherwise, he just did his thing. The OL actually played very well in my opinion, and is 50%+ better than last year and will get better, but without really cohesive running game concepts and then having the back and a TE block the pocket better, we feel and look the same as last year.
Why did Drelon Miller get so many touches and we sadly did not see Micah?
So happy for Jimmy and he looks super fast
Not seeing the connection with Will Shepard was odd, and hope he has a huge game this next week
Uniforms were cool
Way way too many NDSU fans, but they traveled well and showed up strong, cannot hate on that

Finally, our in-stadium entertainment is DOG****
No creativity, average music, the new scoreboard is cool, but you cannot see any stats or other valuable things, and then they do a full screen on both ends, there is no stats. Why can they not use the new Ribbon Boards for stats and other cools stuff. The Chip clap in the 4th Qtr is sooooo dumb, the sound still sucks, and our band is sooooo quiet.

Oh, and giving Ralphie a 10 yard head start from the goal line helped with a better second half run to the 48 yard line

Sko Buffs

Went to the game and had the following observations
Travis Hunter is just flat out a cheat code and nobody on the field is up to that level, really want the Broncos to draft him
Our "Running Game" is not connected to the "Passing Game", somehow they are just not in sync. Sheduer had one really good play fake and he had more time to throw, but otherwise, he just did his thing. The OL actually played very well in my opinion, and is 50%+ better than last year and will get better, but without really cohesive running game concepts and then having the back and a TE block the pocket better, we feel and look the same as last year.
Why did Drelon Miller get so many touches and we sadly did not see Micah?
So happy for Jimmy and he looks super fast
Not seeing the connection with Will Shepard was odd, and hope he has a huge game this next week
Uniforms were cool
Way way too many NDSU fans, but they traveled well and showed up strong, cannot hate on that

Finally, our in-stadium entertainment is DOG****
No creativity, average music, the new scoreboard is cool, but you cannot see any stats or other valuable things, and then they do a full screen on both ends, there is no stats. Why can they not use the new Ribbon Boards for stats and other cools stuff. The Chip clap in the 4th Qtr is sooooo dumb, the sound still sucks, and our band is sooooo quiet.

Oh, and giving Ralphie a 10 yard head start from the goal line helped with a better second half run to the 48 yard line

Sko Buffs
Adding two things:
1) Flea and Hart are by far my two least favorite coaches on this staff. Their coaching and personnel decisions are mind boggling.
2) A huge FVCK YOU to all the West siders who sold their tickets to NDSU fans. That's total BS.

Agree with many of the post-game observations on the thread. A win is a win. Overall, not pretty but functional, with some exceptional plays sprinkled in.

The comments covered the O, so I won't speak on that.

In the 1st half, the D looked very much like a team playing under a new DC. Missed assignments, bad: calls, alignments, reads, reactions, and angles. Props, to the NDSU offense as they were humming in 1st half executing all their plays, not giving CU anything--just mistake free football (no real flags, dropped balls, poorly thrown balls, TO, etc....). Riley played fine when CSC was injured on the 4th or 5th play. That was not in CU's plan. The D looked off balance playing without confidence--mostly all reaction, except for a few Dline plays. A positive was they held two NDSU drives requiring FGs. One of those was on a short field, after a bad O series. I thought the Dline played good early on making some plays. Overall, the D played very disjointed from Dline to LBs to S, not all on the same page.

D had a better 2nd half. I think that was adjustments and CU's depth showing through. The D was not gassed, and were energized throughout. Going forward RL installing the scheme, players adjusting/getting comfortable, just playing together and building swagger hopefully yields a defense that improves incrementally each game. It will be a work in progress but I think it can get there and keep CU competitive. Again, props to NDSU playing clean game with a good game plan/scheme running something that CU had not really seen before. D may be more comforable with other opponents even if they have better players. Surprised that the D created no turnovers, but I think those will come.

I'm paying attention to Time of Possession again. In the 1st half was NDSU 21min, CU 9. Some of that due to CU scoring very fast (you take what you are given, so passing was it and just big plays) coupled with NDSU's excellent drives/CU questionable D. CU's 8 minute drive end of 3rd Q and into 4th Q was great, and probably should have sealed the game. However, the D gave up a TD on NDSU's next possession. For the Buffs to win a bunch of games, the TOP stat must improve, however CU accomplishes it. I do not think we need to win TOP, but it cannot be lopsided for sustained periods in games, like the 1st half--however we were only down 3 points, 20-17 thanks to the quick strike O.

The game was totally back-and-forth and neither team found sustained momentum at any part of the game.

Last edited:
Couple more things popped into my head

Bentley did play great and is the 1 ILB we appear to be able to count on, and with Helow coaching him, he should do better

Sayvion Riley is a very good player and a better Hybrid Safety/Linebacker than Trevor.

Shilo Sanders, what do I think of his play, nothing, it was not good, it was not impactful, it was the same reckless hits instead of tackling, not sure what to say about his overall abilities and level of play. Is he healthy? Can he be a reliable tackler? Will he be held accountable for the Personal Foul?

Also, BJ Green has got to feel terrible about lining up in the Neutral Zone, , but how does that happen? He should have known, the sideline should have known and moved him, sad moment.

It appears that the Defense is getting way too much input, signals, voices in their heads, etc. There was one play where Travis was covering the guy on the outside on the East side and he turned to the sideline and once he turned, his guy went in motion and was wide open coming across the formation. One Voice, One Call, Lock in and play

A win is a win

Couple more things popped into my head

Bentley did play great and is the 1 ILB we appear to be able to count on, and with Helow coaching him, he should do better

Sayvion Riley is a very good player and a better Hybrid Safety/Linebacker than Trevor.

Shilo Sanders, what do I think of his play, nothing, it was not good, it was not impactful, it was the same reckless hits instead of tackling, not sure what to say about his overall abilities and level of play. Is he healthy? Can he be a reliable tackler? Will he be held accountable for the Personal Foul?

Also, BJ Green has got to feel terrible about lining up in the Neutral Zone, , but how does that happen? He should have known, the sideline should have known and moved him, sad moment.

It appears that the Defense is getting way too much input, signals, voices in their heads, etc. There was one play where Travis was covering the guy on the outside on the East side and he turned to the sideline and once he turned, his guy went in motion and was wide open coming across the formation. One Voice, One Call, Lock in and play

A win is a win
Dayon Hayes lined up in the neutral zone, not Green

Shilo played well after the early three stupid late hit. His tackling in this game is reliable and he is the only one who contained Cam Miller a little bit when it's needed.

But yes, he needs to be hel accountable for the PF. That was a BS.

I believe they threw his way once, maybe twice. On the one he had the receiver smothered. I remember after the play TH was kind of chuckling to himself like, "Really?"
There was a 3rd and long competion in front of TH that was like 6 yards short of the sticks that the receiver went too the ground making the catch.

It was a win on that play for Travis.

anyone know what was up with the referee audio? I couldn't make out a single thing they said all night. my buddy said he didn't realize they were trying to broadcast ref calls over the PA until I said something to him about it.

Was he pretty much guaranteed the starting spot at ISU? His accuracy was uncanny. One strike though is that he couldn't get the ball to the end zone from midfield. I'm guessing most P4 QBs can.
FOH with that crap.

I :love: Thursday night football and this was the first Thursday game CU has hosted since I jumped on the Buffs bandwagon (jeez, there was so much room on the wagon back then). Sure, I'm a little tired today, but 100% worth it... and I want more! Being able to attend a game on Thursday and still keep my weekend wide open is a perfect arrangement once or twice a season.

I got used to 8PM Thursday night kick offs at VT -- a 6PM kick on a weeknight is NBD.

I definitely have my limit, but an evening event on a weeknight is something I can manage once per week.

Back