What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU at Arizona - 10/19 @ 2pm MT on FOX

Matthew Broderick Reaction GIF

Perfect GIF nominee.

No. What you saw was a player who said before the defensive series he was going to seal the win. That player then perfectly read the offensive play, showing both the preparation to recognize and the athletic ability to capitalize. Then, also because he had a chip on his shoulder because of people saying he was soft as a tackler in addition to it being a key play, he sold out on the tackle while going for the ball. That is not luck. It was a fortunate result, but it wasn't happenstance.
he has also put on 15+ pounds of muscle, is on video saying "i'm at 190, gotta get to 195" (those numbers are approximate but within 2-3 lbs). he's doing the work to know where he needs to be and to be physically able to make the play when he gets there. no luck involved in a process goal that requires consistency in study and effort over years

taking things away from the last three pages of this sh*t show, i have my tix and just booked my hour taxi to the game on saturday (tucson is an insane city of sprawl). my last game in person was 2013, have never seen the buffs play on the road. i am sooooo psyched for this game.

looking forward to some wins in the trenches, solid special teams, wrap up tackles in the holes, and our depth and skill players to dominate.

rode my bike up to the A mountain today and gave it a couple middle fingers. LFG!

No. What you saw was a player who said before the defensive series he was going to seal the win. That player then perfectly read the offensive play, showing both the preparation to recognize and the athletic ability to capitalize. Then, also because he had a chip on his shoulder because of people saying he was soft as a tackler in addition to it being a key play, he sold out on the tackle while going for the ball. That is not luck. It was a fortunate result, but it wasn't happenstance.
The ball coming out was absolutely luck. Doesn't matter how prepared the player making the tackle was. Good ball security=no fumble.

Maybe you don't believe that luck plays a huge role in success in sports, but it does and analytics actually back that up.

A huge part of baseball analytics factors in luck.

For every who knows how many focused attempts in creating a fumble in every game, it rarely results in a fumble.

The ball coming out was absolutely luck. Doesn't matter how prepared the player making the tackle was. Good ball security=no fumble.

Maybe you don't believe that luck plays a huge role in success in sports, but it does and analytics actually back that up.

A huge part of baseball analytics factors in luck.

For every who knows how many focused attempts in creating a fumble in every game, it rarely results in a fumble.
Luck is when something unintended or inexplicable happens.

No. It's skill. It's just a hard thing to accomplish. With 1/20, you're describing someone who forces a fumble every 2 or 3 games. Please let me have that guy on my team.
It's not though. It simply isn't, dude.

Like I said about baseball...if a guy hits .320 with a low exit velocity, he's looked at as a sub optimal player because low exit velocities shouldn't equate to hits.

It's luck...no matter how good the batter is at placing the ball...if he doesn't hit it hard, he's getting on by luck.

It's not though. It simply isn't, dude.

Like I said about baseball...if a guy hits .320 with a low exit velocity, he's looked at as a sub optimal player because low exit velocities shouldn't equate to hits.

It's luck...no matter how good the batter is at placing the ball...if he doesn't hit it hard, he's getting on by luck.
I don't see how a low exit velocity in baseball has anything to do with someone forcing a fumble.

No. It's skill. It's just a hard thing to accomplish. With 1/20, you're describing someone who forces a fumble every 2 or 3 games. Please let me have that guy on my team.
And...how many be strip it attempts result in missed tackles and huge gains? Is it worth the tradeoff?

Is giving up a TD because you tried to force a fumble...might be recovered by the offense and be a net loss anyway...worth getting a turnover 3 weeks later?

I don't see how a low exit velocity in baseball has anything to do with someone forcing a fumble.
If you can't understand the comparison, I can't help you.

Forcing fumbles isn't a skill. Fumbles are luck. The analytics, which many of you love, say fumbles are luck.

And...how many be strip it attempts result in missed tackles and huge gains? Is it worth the tradeoff?

Is giving up a TD because you tried to force a fumble...might be recovered by the offense and be a net loss anyway...worth getting a turnover 3 weeks later?
If the player is giving up exceptional yards after contact, that's not acceptable unless we're talking desperation mode at the end of a game. But there doesn't have to be that tradeoff.

It's a valid criticism of Shilo that too often he fails to make the basic play because he's going for the big play, whether it's going for a kill shot or riding a guy to try to pull the ball out. That said, I've never been bothered much by aggressive mistakes.

Back