What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bieniemy - OC Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)

I think it would definitely be an issue for some players, but that's OK. Pretty soon that stuff sorts itself out and those players don't come to play for the guy.
I also believe that it's possible, and even likely, that he has continued to grow and mature as a coach and leader and doesn't undress players in front of everybody (or at all) anymore. This is an aspect that RG and LC will have to feel out during the vetting process.

If I recall correctly, that "unmitigated disaster" got commitments from Lindsay, Sefo + others? One season they recruited the 39th (12th in the PAC12, oh how those days are gone for the PAC) ranked class in the nation. CU only sniffed that high with this incoming class. Look at the recruiting and see how many of those kids from 2016, committed EB/Embo.

Taking over the Hawkins dumpster fire was difficult-- the team had no talent. The 1st year, they won some games and the offense was much better than the defense. The 2nd year, they had no QB. Plus, the PAC12 was a heck of a lot stronger nationally than now.

2011:
Scoring Offense: 109th (out of 120)
Scoring Defense: 109th (out of 120)

He's not the only one. That seems to be the only actual concern people here have about him. That was 10 years ago, though, and while Kelce has publicly said he brings a very fiery and aggressive personality to the offense and playcalling, they love him and he makes them better. I agree with you, I don't consider it to be an actual issue at all.

If memory serves from the JE/EB era, one of the knocks involved favoring starters, ignoring some of Hawk’s guys, and turning some players off with a routine barrage of F-bombs and disparagement.

Am I remembering wrong? If those traits existed when EB last coached in Boulder, then I am hoping he turned a new leaf and sharpened his coaching skills to build chemistry from the top of the roster to the bottom.

He will be guided by a strong Football AD and Lance Carl, who will demand a cohesive plan and support him in implementing that plan....which I presume would absolutely include some governance over who the DC will be.

If RG signs off on EB and his plan...I am all in.

I mostly agree with your whole post but the quoted portion above is the most important. Rick and Lance will have a steady hand on the program. RG has been proactive (i.e. requiring MM bring in Leavitt to rebuild the defense). I can see this as a good executive team.

Of all the question about EB that is the most outrageous.
I am guessing you are too young to have watched him play. I know a player does not always equal coach. There are some guys though who have "It" in terms of leadership. Never has that been more true than with Bienemy. He rallied that team to a National Championship.

If anything last time he came he showed up with too much energy and juice. I think he has better honed that energy and learned when to turn it on and off with Chiefs. It why I think he is ready.

From knowing and watching him play, even when he sat a year, I have rarely seen a guy with as much passion, energy, and fortitude (he fumbled like three times against the Corn, collected himself and scored 4 TD's in the 4th quarter). He has the "It."

If memory serves from the JE/EB era, one of the knocks involved favoring starters, ignoring some of Hawk’s guys, and turning some players off with a routine barrage of F-bombs and disparagement.

Am I remembering wrong? If those traits existed when EB last coached in Boulder, then I am hoping he turned a new leaf and sharpened his coaching skills to build chemistry from the top of the roster to the bottom.
I didn't pay attention to such things during those years so I couldn't tell you the details. I don't think there's any doubt he is an intense, fiery personality that may not be some kids' cup of tea, but I also believe it's likely he has seen personal growth and maturity over the last 10 years. I also believe RG and LC are well aware of that and are vetting every aspect of his coaching and leadership style to see if it's a fit for what they want.

Just saw some NFL guys talk about EB on NFL network and they think he's just doing the interview stuff to get his name out there and he prefers the NFL, FWIW
Most of the NFL see Colorado as a backwater and this HC position as a step backward for him. Those same people have no idea how strong the bonds of that 90 team are. Reading this board I wonder how many actually remember what happened. EB does.

But do understand this. We are lucky to get EB.

If people think they are getting the offensive mastermind behind the Chief's offense, I think they will be disappointed.
But I also didn't think that Mel Tucker was the mastermind of the Alabama and Georgia defenses.
To me, it's ok for your head coach to have never been that top-flight playcaller. LSU just won a championship with a guy who never achieved that.

There's a bunch of other things that RG would need to assess to see if EB is the guy. I was never a Rick George bandwagon guy, but I give him props for hiring Mel Tucker. Mel ended up being very ready to handle the role and he had winning processes and systems he could implement. EB should be equipped pretty well one would think as well, more so than when he was Embree's OC.

Most of the NFL see Colorado as a backwater and this HC position as a step backward for him. Those same people have no idea how strong the bonds of that 90 team are. Reading this board I wonder how many actually remember what happened. EB does.

But do understand this. We are lucky to get EB.
I hope the current team can experience what a strong team bond is about. Coaches are important, but it's the teammates that form the lasting bonds. This situation is something that can firmly galvanize the team if they will embrace it.

I mostly agree with your whole post but the quoted portion above is the most important. Rick and Lance will have a steady hand on the program. RG has been proactive (i.e. requiring MM bring in Leavitt to rebuild the defense). I can see this as a good executive team.
Agreed, It is an extremely important difference relative to what it was like at CU last time EB worked for CU.

2011:

That is true. If memory serves, I think they still had a Speedy and not much on the Oline (Bakthari was a Soph, don't remember how much he played). Only Hansen, Spruce and PRich were the offense.

That season, the defense was so torched in many of those games, mostly early, the offense always playing comeback. They did end the year beating Utah on the road. I went to the UCLA game at the Rose Bowl, and CU's team was so small, it was men playing boys. They were physically just beat up, on both sides of the ball. Despite playing 13 games, it was a brutal schedule. Except for PRich, the other team was more talented at practically every other position.

2012 was worse--losing to Sac. St..

At least this time around, CU can match up against the PAC-12 physically and if EB gets the job, he will have something to work with.

I think the job is his if he wants it and I'm fine with that. I do have some reservations, especially if he stacks a staff with former buffs.

I woke up this morning wanting this to happen for my own short-term gratitude. Tucker and MSU generated a bunch of news yesterday, almost entirely negative about him being a snake and MSU throwing $30mil at a guy with 5 career wins. If we in turn hire one of the hottest NFL names for way less, we're going to be praised by the national media while sparty continues to be mocked. That'd be such a great end to this unexpected saga. In the long-term, I have no idea if it works out.

It may be ironic that Tucker's last podcast was with EB.

It does seem like EB has 'matured'. I remember watching a practice when he was the OC. He was constantly yelling, at lineman especially, because they weren't getting off the field fast enough during player changes. If they didn't make it within a certain time, the team had to redo the play. Yes, he and Embree were trying to change the Hawkin's culture and toughen em up, but to me seem excessive.

It may be ironic that Tucker's last podcast was with EB.

It does seem like EB has 'matured'. I remember watching a practice when he was the OC. He was constantly yelling, at lineman especially, because they weren't getting off the field fast enough during player changes. If they didn't make it within a certain time, the team had to redo the play. Yes, he and Embree were trying to change the Hawkin's culture and toughen em up, but to me seem excessive.
The team he’d inherit is also already much tougher than the ones Hawkins produced...

I'm trying to get over tying EB to the Embree 2011-2012 teams, but I just can't. We can't really go back down the alumni bring back the 90s Buffs thing can we? Already? idk if I can handle another stretch of 2010-2015 and for better or worse I just can't forget EB was like Embree's sidekick for that disaster

I'm really trying to tell myself he's Andy Reid's #2 in a very successful NFL team and has all kinds of great qualities and I'm sure he does, but I just can't do it.

2011:

Also Duff, FWITW, I happened to see a Tweet this morning from Aric Goodman (the guy Hawklove gave a schollie, then showed up the next game in Gold Shoes, and missed like 1/2 of his future FG attempts) saying EB is the wrong choice. That provided another + in EB's column. The guy in the gold shoes was cocky, then just sucked.

Last edited:
Also Duff, FWITW, I happened to see a Tweet this morning from Eric Goodman (the guy Hawklove gave a schollie, then showed up the next game in Gold Shoes, and missed like 1/2 of his future FG attempts) saying EB is the wrong choice. That provided another + in EB's column. The guy in the gold shoes was cocky, then just sucked.
This may be your first weird logic point that’s made sense. Congrats

The team he’d inherit is also already much tougher than the ones Hawkins produced...
That's what a lot of the problems stemmed from. Embree and EB came in last time angry as hell at how soft the CU program had become. They were too emotional at the time. Program's in a different place now and EB has had 7 years to reflect and grow.

Last edited:
People have a hard time moving past prior experiences. It's hard to believe, but people make mistakes and actually get better at their jobs all the time.
I don’t know if EB is the guy. But judging him based on his last time here might be a bit unfair.
As an example... Bill Belichick. Fired as HC by Cleveland after 95 season. Hired as HC (and virtual GM) by Patriots in 2000. I can’t stand the guy but we know he can coach.

Point is. Coaches learn and grow. My guess would that this is even more true working for Andy Reid.

I would hope and have reasonable confidence that if EB did leave a CU job for the NFL his handling and timing might be better to not screw over the program.

As I said, I don’t know if he is the right guy But he is a Buff.

That's what a lot of the problems stemmed from. Embree and EB came in last time angry as hell at how soft the CU program had become. They were too emotional at the time. Program's in a different place now and EB has had 7 years to reflect and grow.

Let's not count the fact that Eric has been around Andy Reid (one of the best coaches in the NFL) and Doug Pedersen from 2013-2015 (he's a pretty damn good coach in his own right) before he left for the Eagles. Both those guys are pretty mellow (using that term in comparison with what Eric was when he was here under Barnett and then again under Embree) personality wise. That can only be a positive. He's a much different guy now than he was last time he was here.

Go to Kendall Valenzuela's twitter (@kvalenzuela17-digital producer for the fan) for an interview with EB at media day for the Super Bowl. More proof he's matured and would be ready for this.

I also think if EB were dead set on an NFL opportunity-he'd have passed yesterday. That hasn't happened. Trying to not get my hopes up until I see "Colorado hires Eric Bienemy" in the news.

If I recall correctly, that "unmitigated disaster" got commitments from Lindsay, Sefo + others? One season they recruited the 39th (12th in the PAC12, oh how those days are gone for the PAC) ranked class in the nation. CU only sniffed that high with this incoming class. Look at the recruiting and see how many of those kids from 2016, committed EB/Embo.

Taking over the Hawkins dumpster fire was difficult-- the team had no talent. The 1st year, they won some games and the offense was much better than the defense. The 2nd year, they had no QB. Plus, the PAC12 was a heck of a lot stronger nationally than now.
Did you just refer to a recruiting class that was ranked 12th in the Pac12 as a positive?

Also Duff, FWITW, I happened to see a Tweet this morning from Eric Goodman (the guy Hawklove gave a schollie, then showed up the next game in Gold Shoes, and missed like 1/2 of his future FG attempts) saying EB is the wrong choice. That provided another + in EB's column. The guy in the gold shoes was cocky, then just sucked.
He was so arrogant he spelled Eric with an A. One Mr. Aric Goodman.

Did you just refer to a recruiting class that was ranked 12th in the Pac12 as a positive?

I did. Nationally, CU was in the top 40, best class until this years. I was wrong they were 9th in Pac-12 that year. It more shows how strong that the PAC-12 was back in those days, and has fallen off a cliff since. The better judge is to see who they recruited, and how many were impact players in the 2016 season. It is something like 13 starters, and they only had 1 1/2 recruiting seasons.

Anyone remember the Chiefs coming from behind to win in the playoffs...think EB had something to do with that?

Anyone remember the Chiefs coming from behind to win in the playoffs...think EB had something to do with that?
Nope. EB is just a fiery guy who some players love and many others can't stand. OC is pretty much a ceremonial title. Very little involvement in game planning, practice prep, in-game adjustments or play calling. Andy Reid owed a favor or something.

(The above is basically what a good number of Buffs fans seem to believe for some reason.)

Back