What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

There’s a part of me that appreciates taking a methodical approach. As fans we gravitate to the extremes and want results immediately. But this “methodical approach” Dorrell is talking about should have been started after the UNC game. Not four weeks later. It’s painfully obvious our game prep and in-game adjustments are ****. It doesn’t take a methodical approach to recognize that.
OMG. We're gonna fvcking lose to Arizona.

OMG. We're gonna fvcking lose to Arizona.
I feel like if there was a time machine, and present day AllBuffs was able to talk to the AllBuffs of the morning of 10/17, the conversation would be:

present day allBuffs: *laughing* Could you imagine losing to Arizona?

10/17 AllBuffs: *blank stare*

present day allBuffs: *stops laughing* The Buffs don’t lose to Arizona, right?

10/17 AllBuffs: *blank stare some more, starts to open mouth hesitantly*

present day allBuffs: *panic and dread set in* RIGHT?!?!

I feel like if there was a time machine, and present day AllBuffs was able to talk to the AllBuffs of the morning of 10/17, the conversation would be:

present day allBuffs: *laughing* Could you imagine losing to Arizona?

10/17 AllBuffs: *blank stare*

present day allBuffs: *stops laughing* The Buffs don’t lose to Arizona, right?

10/17 AllBuffs: *blank stare some more, starts to open mouth hesitantly*

present day allBuffs: *panic and dread set in* RIGHT?!?!
Captured it for ya!
nathan fillion castle GIF

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but there's no way KD is going anywhere. Besides, he deserves a chance to at least bring in his own OC. I heard he wanted to bring in his own guy when he brought in, but wasn't allowed to.
What leads you to think that Dorrell has any competence in running an offense or identifying the traits for a successful offensive coordinator?

Exactly

KD may not even be the guy. But it is extremely premature to fire him at this stage. No hot shot fantasy Cordinator will turn the team into a success overnight. The next coach will still have underclassmen to coach up. Will still have the problem of several years of bad recruiting on the OL to fix.
It's not premature to fire him. Not likely to happen because this is CU but it would not be premature to fire him.

The new coach is going to come into a tough situation, much tougher than the one Dorrell came into and that is why it isn't premature.

If things were getting better or even just treading water then you could justify giving KD more time but they aren't.

Recruiting is going downhill, talent is likely to be transferring out, an acceptance of not only losing but of being a loser is setting in.

The new coach is going to have a lot to overcome but the longer we keep Dorrell the more that new coach is going to have to overcome. You don't fill a hole by making it deeper and that's what we are doing right now.

Meanwhile donors are getting turned off to the program, ticket buyers are seriously considering if they want to keep buying tickets. Once that revenue is gone it is hard to get back and that digs the hole even deeper because you then have less money to hire and retain quality people for the future.

Any coach worth having isn't going to be concerned about CU firing a guy who isn't getting the job done. They are more likely to be concerned about the commitment to winning if he is kept around when it is obvious to everyone that he is the wrong guy for the job.

Flashing again to 1984. That CU team had McCartney in his first year and, unbeknownst to most, the phoenix was actually rising. Now? The conflagration is on full display.

Yeah good luck with that. Several coaches rejected the job. Mel Tucker left for Michigan state. Some times a program that is down for over 15 years, should allow a guy to rebuild the program. The guy is obviously qualified. Coached at UCLA for 5 seasons.Every season he has been a College Head coach, his team has gone to a bowl game. But well good luck. I am off to watch football.

I do agree with your takes for keeping Dorrell but he's an offensive coach and his offenses have been offensive. I don't think many here see the appeal of letting KD rebuild the program at this point. In MacIntyre's second season which was a 2-10 season, the Buffs were able to put up points such as losing 59-56 at Cal in 3 OT, losing 40-37 in OT to UCLA, and 38-34 to Utah. I don't think many here see those type of shootout games from CU this season.

I would say there is a difference between losing shootout type of games & close games and getting our butts kicked because the offense couldn't do anything.

Correct. The big difference is the recruiting vision. The greatest college football coach ever had a team playing against Dan Hawkins’ team in the Independence Bowl. Karl Dorrell is a shyt recruiter. We are doomed.
This is what I think is getting lost more than anything. If Dorrell was losing now with someone else's lackluster talent, but had some straight up DUDES in the pipeline, things would be different. Instead, we get poor coaching wasting what little talent he's going to have here. Now add to that, that a 2-10 season (highly likely) is going to drive away some of the decent talent we already have via transfer. It's also going to drive what decent commits we have to start looking for other options. So, what you end up with is players with subpar abilities and limited opportunities to go elsewhere coached by a staff with subpar abilities and limited opportunities to go elsewhere.

Sounds like a perfect recipe to me.

The true character of HCKD came out when he ducked out of an interview with Gary...then his adolescent swipe at the cameraman. Then allowing your boss to remit an apology on your behalf....that you followed up with an excuse-laden apology....via the administration...rather than your own twitter account.

His offense in 2014 scored a whopping 11 TDs at Vandy...we are on that trajectory...

I have nothing against KD as a man, always heard he's a great guy, this past weekend notwithstanding. All that said, I don't think he's who you need to build a program. I wish he was. Like I've said before, I'd be happy to wrong about it, but I don't see it with him. The only way to turn it around is get a coach that has the right vision and have the university and AD support him. Otherwise, we'll still be swimming in the ocean. It looks like they don't give a ****, who wants to be a part of that?

Was the camera man 4'2", or was the camera around his waist?
Well the camera isn't head level with Dorrell and Dorrell isn't 7 feet so
Huh? You can obviously see the step to the right. Maybe you missed it because the push happens mid-step. And the camera guy clearly ends up on his ass. My guess is it was from a squat position to on the ground. In the legal sense, that is very certainly assault.
He steps to the right after the stiff arm, he doesn't go out of his way to slap. If the cameraman was knocked on his ass you'd get either a view of the sky or a close up of the bugs on the ground. Plus there'd be photos of it everywhere, you would've seen them by now. There's plenty to complain about Kd, we don't need made up bs

Shouldn't we also have a fire Langsdorf thread? He's one of the lowest paid coaches we can afford it. QB play is worst I've ever seen with no signs of improvement. And backups apparently are so bad they can't even be trusted to be on the field in garbage time. Struck out on a QB last year so we could swing for the fences this year and ended up with a commit from one of KD's buddies kid.

Shouldn't we also have a fire Langsdorf thread? He's one of the lowest paid coaches we can afford it. QB play is worst I've ever seen with no signs of improvement. And backups apparently are so bad they can't even be trusted to be on the field in garbage time. Struck out on a QB last year so we could swing for the fences this year and ended up with a commit from one of KD's buddies kid.
Did you never see Bernard Jackson play? I think that was his name anyway.

When a school is financially strapped, you always, always, always hire a HC who is going to completely and totally own one side of the ball. It's his offense (or his defense) and thus you get one coordinator position cheap.

Most all successful head coaches were either great OCs or great DCs. Position coaches? Not too many examples of success that I could cite. In fact, one example is "great recruiters" that run a program without proven success as a coordinator. I have trouble recalling if that EVER works over time (see LSU 2021).

It's hard to find 2 good coordinators to run your program. LSU did that when they PAID big for their DC (Aranda) and totally lucked out with the young/cheap Joe Brady who essentially was the brains behind their offense in that run (even though he wasn't the OC). Both Brady and Aranda leaving meant they had to hire 2 guys to be superstars, rather than just one.

And if you are lucky enough to find two, you have to then defend them each year and it's 2x as expensive. Or they leave to become head coaches. You are forced to always be fighting on two fronts.

The odds are not in your favor that you are going to find 2 good ones, that you can afford, and then keep it going for any length of time.

Hiring a journeyman position coach to run your program makes zero sense. We concluded that with Hawkins tenure. Danny dip**** was neither an OC or DC. Neither was Embree. Neither was KD. edit: At least not a successful coordinator - in last 20 years anyway.

CU needs to not continue to make the Danny Dip****, Jon Embree, Karl Dorrell mistakes. Hire a guy who's a guru at something, not a generalist.

When a school is financially strapped, you always, always, always hire a HC who is going to completely and totally own one side of the ball. It's his offense (or his defense) and thus you get one coordinator position cheap.

Most all successful head coaches were either great OCs or great DCs. Position coaches? Not too many examples of success that I could cite. In fact, one example is "great recruiters" that run a program without proven success as a coordinator. I have trouble recalling if that EVER works over time (see LSU 2021).

It's hard to find 2 good coordinators to run your program. LSU did that when they PAID big for their DC (Aranda) and totally lucked out with the young/cheap Joe Brady who essentially was the brains behind their offense in that run (even though he wasn't the OC). Both Brady and Aranda leaving meant they had to hire 2 guys to be superstars, rather than just one.

And if you are lucky enough to find two, you have to then defend them each year and it's 2x as expensive. Or they leave to become head coaches. You are forced to always be fighting on two fronts.

The odds are not in your favor that you are going to find 2 good ones, that you can afford, and then keep it going for any length of time.

Hiring a journeyman position coach to run your program makes zero sense. We concluded that with Hawkins tenure. Danny dip**** was neither an OC or DC. Neither was Embree. Neither was KD. edit: At least not a successful coordinator - in last 20 years anyway.

CU needs to not continue to make the Danny Dip****, Jon Embree, Karl Dorrell mistakes. Hire a guy who's a guru at something, not a generalist.
Good post, but it is all academic, with that contract, this will be HCKD's show for a couple of more years. The question is, will anyone be watching much longer?

Yep, and that's what they seemingly did with Tucker. The direction RG went with KD was so non-sensical it seriously makes you wonder if he has literally just given up or if he was not in the right state of mind due to his surgery when that idea started coming together, and then he and LC just talked themselves into it.

Would Coach Kap have been a better hire than KD? He was sitting there on the staff, highly respected, Offensive Line is the most important thing for a program, so maybe the Head Coach should be an OL Coach, and then whether or not Chiv was still named the OC, and we had the Summers - Wilson Defensive Coordinator situation, we would have been able to keep our eyes on recruiting and doing things similar to what Tucker was doing. Just thought about it today.

Would Coach Kap have been a better hire than KD? He was sitting there on the staff, highly respected, Offensive Line is the most important thing for a program, so maybe the Head Coach should be an OL Coach, and then whether or not Chiv was still named the OC, and we had the Summers - Wilson Defensive Coordinator situation, we would have been able to keep our eyes on recruiting and doing things similar to what Tucker was doing. Just thought about it today.
I really liked that guy. Maybe they should have given him a interim tag and let him prove himself in 2020. I have said before. They "hurry up and make a coaching hire" approach is not playing out to well. I can't understand how they didn't think that through

Back