What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Thread: KSU @ CU—October 12 @ 8:15 PM ESPN

Shedeur did as much to cause sacks as the OL did. Step up in the pocket and get rid of the ball. I think he did it twice all game and both ended up in completions, one was a TD. The rest of the time he would try to escape the pocket and it didn't work.

I don’t know if Shedeur is uncomfortable stepping up into the pocket, or he became accustomed last year to there being no pocket. But a pocket has been there this year many of the times he drops back. It could be a bit of both. He doesn’t trust the line and thinks he can avoid the sack.

I don't remember stopping their running game in the fourth. On that series (third to last, I think) where we got the interception, I was shocked they weren't just running with 31 every play. They could have wrapped it up then and there.
In one of the post-game summaries they cited this, with actual numbers. I don't remember where I saw it. I really expected us to shut down the run better in the 2H and we instead let them go on that long scoring drive (8 minutes or so) to open the 3Q. But in the 4th, we were pretty effective against the run.

They are doing it with a lot of experience in the trenches. You know, something you need time to bring in and develop. They had so many RS SR and JRs playing in the trenches
They are doing it with under-recruited, well coached up guys. I'm sure I can find some sophomores and RS Freshman that are playing in the trenches for them and doing well.

Fundamentally, they are better coached than us.
NDSU was way better coached than us.

It is what it is.

Overall the OL wasn't bad but the game plan made things very difficult for them.

It is much easier to pass block when you run the ball enough to make the defense respect the possibility of the run. You don't even have to be gaining big yardage at it.

It makes the down linemen have to hesitate a moment to decide if they need to play the run, when you don't run they can just tee off and attack the QB which is much harder to block.

It is also the case where pass blocking is more tiring for offensive linemen than run blocking and defending the run tires defensive players more than defending the pass.

I'm not convinced that Shurmur is at fault for the play calling. His history is to maybe lean to heavily on the run. I think Prime is trying to showcase his son but I think statistics look much better in the context of wins. Throwing against a defense that has to respect the run opens things up and can make a QB look better (and stay healthy.)

We're better off with Shilo on the bench. Tell me why I'm wrong.

NDSU, 1st half Nubs, KSU
2nd half Nubs, CSU, ****bailer, UCF

****bailer game notwithstanding, there's no real argument that the defense has been better with Shilo out of the game.

it was a weird game. it wasn't like CU played bad at any one aspect, particularly.

I think we ran into a more cohesive team top to bottom that executed well.

it can be argued we have played exactly 2 decent teams this season. and lost both.

Arizona doesn't look like a gimme to me either.

At least half those sacks were on shedeur. Dallan Hayden missed openings and CU eventually completely abandoned the run. The OLine was not the problem last night

K-State had some success against the Oline, but that is to be expected. They are a good D. I agree 1/2 the sacks were on SS, specifically the ones where he was dropped for substantial yards--he needed to throw a few of those away or make quicker decisions. I would love to know the # of runs that he audibled out of. If he is doing that it not only hurts the running game (just lack of touches), but can hurt the passing game too, as he is not set up to roll out one way or the other.

On D, it seemed like the overall pursuit was a step slow last night. There was not much swarming to the ball. The missed tackles were surprising.

Last edited:
In one of the post-game summaries they cited this, with actual numbers. I don't remember where I saw it. I really expected us to shut down the run better in the 2H and we instead let them go on that long scoring drive (8 minutes or so) to open the 3Q. But in the 4th, we were pretty effective against the run.
On that first drive of the second half, it looked like we had them for a three-and-out and we missed a tackle on Johnson and he scrambled three inches past the line to gain. That one play (and maybe Shedeur's interception) is the one I'd like to have back.

Last edited:
it was a weird game. it wasn't like CU played bad at any one aspect, particularly.

I think we ran into a more cohesive team top to bottom that executed well.

it can be argued we have played exactly 2 decent teams this season. and lost both.

Arizona doesn't look like a gimme to me either.

At 8:00 pm last night I would've said I was confident about going into AZ. Now I'm not confident at all. I've gone from 'we can challenge for the conference' to 'just get to 6 wins'.

At 8:00 pm last night I would've said I was confident about going into AZ. Now I'm not confident at all. I've gone from 'we can challenge for the conference' to 'just get to 6 wins'.
I think we should, based upon the talent, be better than a 6 win team. I also will be satisfied with bowl eligible if that is as much as we can manage. some folks want to lay it all on the coaches, but the guys have dig deep and execute with the game on the line, too. I think if CP can reduce the churn on the team and keep building we have a chance to be a good program. we aren't there yet. it isn't that we lack team leaders, but we lack that sorta organic player lead culture that leads to good things.

Travis’ injury is the only reason I’m no longer as confident for next week. Otherwise, there’s no shame in losing by 3 to the 16th ranked team in the conference when you’re missing the leading Heisman candidate and your WR2. It’s frustrating that they were 3 minutes away from stealing the win and being 5-1, but KSU is a good team that overwhelmed our front seven and made a few more plays than we did at the end.

KSU fans are dicks. I guess I forgot that. They talked so much ****. Annoying.
Talked with a KSU couple at the airport in the train this morning. They commented how they were told how bad of fans CU has but they said it was no worse than other away games they had gone to. I told them that is a rep we got from various student section behaviors over the years and most of the stories were perpetuated by Nub fans. They did say how disappointed they were in the KSU fan behavior at the game, saying a lot of them were behaving bad and being rude they were sitting in 108, so were amongst many CU fans.

Talked with a KSU couple at the airport in the train this morning. They commented how they were told how bad of fans CU has but they said it was no worse than other away games they had gone to. I told them that is a rep we got from various student section behaviors over the years and most of the stories were perpetuated by Nub fans. They did say how disappointed they were in the KSU fan behavior at the game, saying a lot of them were behaving bad and being rude they were sitting in 108, so were amongst many CU fans.

That was the impression I got - I was actually amazed at the restraint CU fans, especially the students, were showing towards the KSU fans who were obviously trying to start something.

Well, looking at the big picture, it is a lot of fun to watch and have an actual belief CU can win in a game with a top 20 opponent. Back in the dark days of Duhrell and every MikMac team except 2016, when CU lined up against a top 20 team you knew the Buffs were in line for a butt whoopin'. Prime has changed that.

I think it was Coach Mac who said you are what you emphasize. KjSU is all about running the ball. Their OL puts a hat on you and attacks. 31 is a nightmare. Great vision, hard to tackle and decent speed. Teams that run the ball are always tougher, mentally and physically and that was played out again last night. KjSU was simply the tougher team.

What is maddening is that the biggest flaws in CU's game are mental.

Shilo simply will not wrap up, preferring to go for the big hit. He whiffs...a lot. Other times he is king of the LHOOB. He is more experienced and probably more physically gifted, but Stoutmire is a better football player and safety. The fact Prime says Shilo played terrible, but he gets every snap is the epitome of Daddy ball. That makes him uncoachable and does him a real disservice knowing he will play, even when he plays bad football.

SS2 is probably the most accurate passer I have ever seen. He is a phenomenal talent. But he mixes in a combo of very low FB IQ decisions and over reliance in his arm to simply kill drives. Instead of stepping up into the pocket, he keeps retreating. Then he tries to go around the edge rushers, and often ends up running into their arms for 15 yard sacks. That kills drives and shows a very poor pocket presence/awareness. Add holding onto the ball forever because he is going to make the next highlight reel play and the problem is worse. Again, he knows he will never get the hook, no matter what he does, and he is probably uncoachable as well. None of these flaws are without remedy, and if somebody would coach him to throw it away, and step up in the pocket, instead running backwards to Longmont, it would be more effective overall. But if you throw it away, your stats get hurt. I am beginning to think he would rather be sacked than hurt his completion rate.

No matter the talent, being one dimensional makes you beatable. CU is about as one-dimensional as can be. We will probably never know if that is word from on high that we will throw, throw and throw some more because the HC and QB have the same last name, Shurmer is a bad OC, or SS2 is changing to throw, throw, throw because he knows nobody will say boo about it. This team should 60/40 pass/run. Every DC not coaching in Orlando has faced a team that resolutely will not run the ball, or use sets that optimize a very average OL. I feel bad for the OL who have to face an all out pass rush from DL who fear the run not at all. Why the UCF blueprint was thrown away is a mystery.

The OL suffers from the above. Only Houston was regularly losing straight up. They could be a serviceable unit if they were set up for success with a coherent offensive game plan including runs, a QB who got rid of the ball, and stepped up in the pocket.

The D simply got beat mano a mano last night. They ought to take that as a challenge to never get punked like that again.

This team has no business failing to get to 7 to 8 wins with the talent they have. Anything less is a massive coaching failure.

O Miller sitting was unbelievable. That cat can play.

Last edited:
If the Buffs finish 6-6 or better, they exceed expectations.
Only preseason
Expectations after UCF was 8 wins or better
Lots to play for, 10-2 is possible, but with our offensive plan and injuries every game has a million potential outcomes. Wish we would be a running team with a great QB and a great defense and not a passing team with no run game and a still unknown defense. Still trust Coach Livingston big time. Shurmur and Shedeur have a pretty poor gut for calling or executing a good offense and so it will be thrilling every week.

Only preseason
Expectations after UCF was 8 wins or better
Lots to play for, 10-2 is possible, but with our offensive plan and injuries every game has a million potential outcomes. Wish we would be a running team with a great QB and a great defense and not a passing team with no run game and a still unknown defense. Still trust Coach Livingston big time. Shurmur and Shedeur have a pretty poor gut for calling or executing a good offense and so it will be thrilling every week.
You seem to forget who I am. I have a player, referee, and weather prediction model that simulates game outcomes.

Even after UCF, my prediction model did not change the outcome of the overall season.

Plus, given the injuries the Buffs are facing, 6-6 still outpaces the 5-7 outcome that’s most likely.

Like Baylor, we should not have even been in the game.
10 rushing attempts for the entire game for 21 yards.
KSU ran for a ton. 40 carries nearly 5 yard average (although we shut them down in the 4th quarter in their running game).
Shedeur sacked 6 times and under pressure at most times, took hits, found a way.

KSU had to beat us with the passing game and the D couldn't come up with it.
I was very surprised our D gave up 85 yards in 3 plays on the decision drive to let KSU go ahead.

KSU shows you how good coaching makes a good difference.
They dominated the trenches on both sides (once again). Complete domination.
They are doing it with 3-star kids not making a ton of NIL.

KSU totally deserved the W yet we almost stole another one.

Shermur is the worst College OC in the game today.
KSU is a better version of NDSU with the same types of running game and passing game but with better athletes at the skill positions and a better DL. It's no surpirse that KSU won.

You seem to forget who I am. I have a player, referee, and weather prediction model that simulates game outcomes.

Even after UCF, my prediction model did not change the outcome of the overall season.

Plus, given the injuries the Buffs are facing, 6-6 still outpaces the 5-7 outcome that’s most likely.
Oh, my bad, the room was buzzing for 8-4, but Buzz Killington and the supercomputer was still at 5-7. I forgot, and I still hope your model is wrong, cause last night gut me. Felt violated

Oh, my bad, the room was buzzing for 8-4, but Buzz Killington and the supercomputer was still at 5-7. I forgot, and I still hope your model is wrong, cause last night gut me. Felt violated
“The room” meaning you? I’m confused. Most folks here are realists.

Being 6-6 would represent a nice marker of progress and would exceed expectations because our DL and OL are not good enough for 8+ wins.

Back