What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really love how much everyone hates us; it is truly the best feeling ever.

Another coach mad at Prime. Let’s not talk about the fact that OU probably had a top 20 roster in the country when Venables came in and quickly went 6-7, while Prime inherited the worst FBS roster in the country.

Who TF gives a floppy **** about Venables? This guy needs to worry about not getting absolutely mud-holed in the SEC, if OU went 6-7 last season in the prolific BigXII

What isn't being said by Venables and others is that their fears and frustration about Coach Prime isn't the same as with Lincoln Riley and others who have been aggressive and successful with the portal. This is about Coach Prime relating on a black culture and community level that they have no way of doing and cannot negatively recruit against if CU wins. To them, it's like how they feared a Stanford offer to any recruiting target who had a strong academic focus. But the impact of that was minuscule compared to the same dynamic occurring with all of their African American recruiting targets.

Another coach mad at Prime. Let’s not talk about the fact that OU probably had a top 20 roster in the country when Venables came in and quickly went 6-7, while Prime inherited the worst FBS roster in the country.

I'm glad so many other coaches are bitter at Sanders, but characterizing the statement "I'm not like Deion" as an 'attack' is a bit of a stretch

I'm glad so many other coaches are bitter at Sanders, but characterizing the statement "I'm not like Deion" as an 'attack' is a bit of a stretch
Twitter has always been a host for the fomentation of Internet Drama Horse****. It can't die quickly enough.

He went out of his way (neither Prime or CU were brought up by anyone) to negatively associate what Prime has done at CU, so he could justify his own shortcomings. I don't know what you believe "attack" to mean, but in this context, I think that word is perfectly acceptable.

oh. well in that case, nevermind

it seemed like a simple factual statement to me: Sanders was quicker to push out players he was.
It doesn't register for you that it was a strategic statement: both to excuse his bad year 1 record and to throw shade on CP who has been active with OU portal entries?

It doesn't register for you that it was a strategic statement: both to excuse his bad year 1 record and to throw shade on CP who has been active with OU portal entries?
yes, it does. my comment was scoped to whether 'attack' is a correct characterization of the statement. I believe a factual comment can be strategic without being an 'attack'

yes, it does. my comment was scoped to whether 'attack' is a correct characterization of the statement. I believe a factual comment can be strategic without being an 'attack'
Part of the strategy was a negative recruiting attack on a threat, though. No way any coach uses that platform to specifically call out a coach from another conference without it being an attack. It's a violation of coaching fraternity rules to do that.

How do you characterize a negative comment about another individual, whether that comment is factual or not?

Part of the strategy was a negative recruiting attack on a threat, though. No way any coach uses that platform to specifically call out a coach from another conference without it being an attack. It's a violation of coaching fraternity rules to do that.
gotcha. nobody's ever given me a copy of the frat rules so i didn't know that :sneaky:

I'm not like Hokie. I can recognize tone and intent in both written and spoken communications.
Shots Fired GIF by Barstool Sports

How do you characterize a negative comment about another individual, whether that comment is factual or not?
for starters, i don't perceive that comment alone to be a negative comment about Sanders.

to Nik's point, i do perceive it as a comment intended to gain some recruiting leverage, but not an 'attack' on an individual as the tweet described it to be.

e.g. when someone on Allbuffs posts a message akin to, "hokiehead is a pedantic moron who overshares details of his personal life", i don't take it as an attack. it's certainly a signal that poster doesn't appreciate my contributions, but I don't feel it's something attempting to harm me in any way. (edit: I guess there's an argument that posts like that are an 'attack' on my Allbuffs social status, but that's a reach IMO)

to answer your question directly, there are probably definitions of the noun 'attack' for which that comment could fit, but I think it's more correctly described as a 'disrespectful comment'

What isn't being said by Venables and others is that their fears and frustration about Coach Prime isn't the same as with Lincoln Riley and others who have been aggressive and successful with the portal. This is about Coach Prime relating on a black culture and community level that they have no way of doing and cannot negatively recruit against if CU wins. To them, it's like how they feared a Stanford offer to any recruiting target who had a strong academic focus. But the impact of that was minuscule compared to the same dynamic occurring with all of their African American recruiting targets.
Agreed. High level FB coaches are very much an example of narcissism, and the fact that Coach Prime comes in and makes their jobs look easy to the outside world is viewed as a direct threat to their inflated view of themselves and their importance to the success of their respective programs. As with any narcissist, their response is often to attack the perceived threat to their image. The fact that Coach Prime is a black man exasperates this, and the truly beautiful thing about how brilliant Coach Prime is in navigating this, is that he records EVERYTHING and lets the world see how he goes about managing this program, which then has the dual effect of marketing CU and himself to all recruits, and maintaining receipts so that similar attacks can be directly refuted when it comes to negative recruiting efforts.

When CU starts seeing success, I expect these attacks to amplify significantly, and I also expect CP to be fully prepared. None of this happened by accident, Deion Sanders has been dealing with this his entire life.

Agreed. High level FB coaches are very much an example of narcissism, and the fact that Coach Prime comes in and makes their jobs look easy to the outside world is viewed as a direct threat to their inflated view of themselves and their importance to the success of their respective programs. As with any narcissist, their response is often to attack the perceived threat to their image. The fact that Coach Prime is a black man exasperates this, and the truly beautiful thing about how brilliant Coach Prime is in navigating this, is that he records EVERYTHING and lets the world see how he goes about managing this program, which then has the dual effect of marketing CU and himself to all recruits, and maintaining receipts so that similar attacks can be directly refuted when it comes to negative recruiting efforts.

When CU starts seeing success, I expect these attacks to amplify significantly, and I also expect CP to be fully prepared. None of this happened by accident, Deion Sanders has been dealing with this his entire life.
Venables and those like him are used to taking on others who are like them. Coach Prime is a whole new challenge and one they haven't got their minds around.

Venables start at Oklahoma has been much less than the Sooners fans expect and it isn't going to get easier when they go to the SEC. (Side note, I think in a couple of years a lot of Sooner and Longhorn fans are going to be looking back and thinking they would have been much better off going to the PAC.)

He is already busy setting up his excuses for not maintaining the level of success they had under Riley.

"We didn't dump a whole roster, we were loyal to our kids." "We don't use fancy cars and designer bags as recruiting props." etc. etc.

for starters, i don't perceive that comment alone to be a negative comment about Sanders.

to Nik's point, i do perceive it as a comment intended to gain some recruiting leverage, but not an 'attack' on an individual as the tweet described it to be.

e.g. when someone on Allbuffs posts a message akin to, "hokiehead is a pedantic moron who overshares details of his personal life", i don't take it as an attack. it's certainly a signal that poster doesn't appreciate my contributions, but I don't feel it's something attempting to harm me in any way. (edit: I guess there's an argument that posts like that are an 'attack' on my Allbuffs social status, but that's a reach IMO)

to answer your question directly, there are probably definitions of the noun 'attack' for which that comment could fit, but I think it's more correctly described as a 'disrespectful comment'

Implicit in the statement "I gave guys a year before kicking them to the curb, unlike Deion" is that Venables is claiming that he treated the players fairly and Prime did not.

Venables said he allowed a 12 month grace period and goes on to have the worst season since '99. I understand they lost Williams but I'd guess their 4th string qb was probably better than our first string while having blue chip players littered throughout the roster.

He goes on to say that they've replaced 63 players. Can he really be this stupid?

Perhaps he's mad/jealous that he couldn't do what CP did. Or could it be that he's realizing that he's not a very good head coach?

Back